Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

HU mounts and mounting Sat antenna

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 06:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default HU mounts and mounting Sat antenna

Just installed my new head unit and while it looks okay, I'm not really satisfied with the Metra mount. The Schosche is actually worse. Is there anything out there that's a little higher quality than those two, but not as expensive as the Humount?

Also, I like mounting my Sat antenna just behind the T-Top (on the black part of the roof) but I don't want to glue it. Is there something (adhesive, double side tape, hook and loop) that's strong enough to hold it but can be remove if necessary?
Old 12-08-2010, 08:37 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

I put my Sirius antenna under the upper dash panel for a completely stealth installation. Reception is very good - better than with the factory shark's fin antenna on the roof of my wife's SUV (plastic and glass don't block satellite reception).

Old 12-08-2010, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great idea for the sat antenna.. I am also wondering about quality hu kits.. I don't want it looking cheap.. Fitment and quality looking plastic is key for me any suggestions??
Old 12-11-2010, 03:58 PM
TECH Resident

The sat antenna mounting suggestion by WhiteBird00 works great! I don't think WB00 would mind if I posted his directions:

1. Remove the t-tops.
2. Remove the A pillar trim by removing the two phillips screws at the top of each trim piece and then twisting and snapping the trim out of it retaining clips.
3. Carefully pry up the upper dash panel. It is held in place by a combination of velcro and clips with a couple of locating pins. Be careful because the panel can become brittle over the years and the edges are very sharp (he says as he types with only nine fingers ).

The Sirius antenna cable can be easily routed down through openings in the dash to the back of your head unit.

Took less than a half hour to do and works better than the way I mounted it in my previous Camaros. It went exactly like stated, including the cutting finger part. The best part is that the little plate is metal (antenna sticks good) and the fact that the antenna is completely in side = no wear and tear - the antenna on my Jeep was beat after a few years.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
(plastic and glass don't block satellite reception).
So does this mean I might be able to put it in the a-pillar?
Old 12-13-2010, 07:03 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by Danny2tek
So does this mean I might be able to put it in the a-pillar?
You could if you get one of the smaller ones that will fit under the trim but why would you want to? Sirius/XM antennas are somewhat directional and are designed to be mounted flat to get the best signal. Besides, it takes only a couple of minutes more to pull up the dash panel if you're removing the A pillar trim anyway.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:33 PM
TECH Resident

You think that spot would work for a nav antenna too pal?
Old 12-13-2010, 02:46 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by SLPHawk300
You think that spot would work for a nav antenna too pal?
Sure does. In my car I have the satellite antenna on the left side and the GPS antenna in the same position on the right side (you can see them in the photo posted above). Both get great reception.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:46 PM
TECH Resident

Interesting. I like that better than slapping some stupid shark fin antenna ontop of the car. I'm planning on doing the double din thing, and wasn't sure about antenna position.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SLPHawk300
Interesting. I like that better than slapping some stupid shark fin antenna ontop of the car. I'm planning on doing the double din thing, and wasn't sure about antenna position.

I mounted my Pioneer AVIC Z-110BT Navi GPS antenna in the same spot as Whitebird00 and have never had any problems with signal. Easy to do and stays hidden and out of the way for a stock looking install.

Quick tip on if your navi unit reguires a VSS signal on a '98-'02 Camaro...take the harness adapter (70-1858) and pull an unused pin on the harness (mine was blue if I remember correctly) and transfer it to where it will meet the green/white wire (VSS for autosound control) on the OEM harness. This will keep you from having to splice into your intrument panel wiring and makes the install quick and easy. Hope this helps somebody.

Chris
Old 12-14-2010, 04:02 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used that same area for numerous navigation and satellite radio installs in the past. Works great, nothing on the roof or other exterior parts of the car.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:20 PM
TECH Resident

This is one of those simple things that just make so much sense that it should be listed in the FAQ, given the number of people who have sat radio. I wish I had known about this when I had my previous Z28 in which I had to GLUE the antenna on the roof . This mount keeps the antenna away from weather wear and tear, the short run prevents kinks and there is no hatch/door constantly pinching the lead. The only other mounting point that probably comes close would be under the cowl but I've got to believe this is a whole lot simpler.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
You could if you get one of the smaller ones that will fit under the trim but why would you want to? Sirius/XM antennas are somewhat directional and are designed to be mounted flat to get the best signal. Besides, it takes only a couple of minutes more to pull up the dash panel if you're removing the A pillar trim anyway.
Well my dash has a very little small crack in it, and I'm scared that if I pry it up it might break
Old 12-15-2010, 07:04 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Another place you can mount the antenna is inside the spoiler. Obviously it takes more work to route the cable there but it gets great reception (spoiler is composite material) and is completely hidden and out of the weather. VIP1 put his there and I believe posted some photos in a thread.

Quick Reply: HU mounts and mounting Sat antenna