Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

problem's shifting in sub freezing temperatures

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 03:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem's shifting in sub freezing temperatures

I own a Cts-v with the t56 and in cold temperatures 32 and below I have difficulty shifting. Being a newbie to manuals I wanna know if this is a normal thing or is it more serious. I also have a bite when shifting into 3rd when the car is cold. Will a short throw shifter eliminate this problem or is something more serious required. Please help granny gurus thanks.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Tranny not granny damn cell phone predictive text.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Cold fluid or older fluid. Try some fresh fluid like Royal Purple. My Camaro does that when it's cold out, but not BAD.. Just a little tight. I just hold it in second for a little while to let the R's climb and "throw" more oil around in the transmission so it will help warm it up a little. Not for a WHILE, but I do it for about a mile or two. Seems to help. The oil being squeezed through tight clearances should help it to warm up.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:52 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by babrown18
I own a Cts-v with the t56 and in cold temperatures 32 and below I have difficulty shifting. Being a newbie to manuals I wanna know if this is a normal thing or is it more serious. I also have a bite when shifting into 3rd when the car is cold. Will a short throw shifter eliminate this problem or is something more serious required. Please help granny gurus thanks.
How many Miles / Km on the car? Have you changed the fluid to fresh basic Dexron?

The shifter won't do anything for a gear-specific problem.

Avoid Royal Purple in any case.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine does it too. When it's cold out the thing shifts like it's a coffee can stirring rocks. After the car warms up it's fine though. I think it's just what happens when it is cold out. +1 for changing the fluid though. I changed mine back in the summer and it is a lot easier going this winter than it was last winter with the old fluid.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:15 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is normal for manual transmissions to be a little tough to shift in sub freezing temps. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just take it easy when its cold and shift with care. If you feel it clashing don't force it in.

Originally Posted by jmd
Avoid Royal Purple in any case.
Why should he avoid royal purple?
Old 12-16-2010, 03:27 PM
Banned

Actually if you let the car warm up even in neutral for a few minutes, it will help with the shifting qualities. I use to have a little Ford Ranger that would actually start to move foward in neutral when it got really cold outside. The gear lube in it was probably thicker than molasses. Shifting it was next to impossible until it warmed up a little bit. I ran gear lube in it to help cover up some of the gear noise in the transmission.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks For the advice.. any insight on the third gear bite? or the short throw shifter?
Old 12-17-2010, 12:19 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
It is normal for manual transmissions to be a little tough to shift in sub freezing temps. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just take it easy when its cold and shift with care. If you feel it clashing don't force it in.

Why should he avoid royal purple?
Synthetic in the T56 in freezing temps? Zero gain at higher cost.
Recommended by Tremec? Nope. M1 is.
Whether the blocker ring story about Liberty testing their product holds any weight isn't relevant. There's simply zero gain in going w/ RP. Marketing fluff doesn't shift anything better.
If it helps your bottom line to sell and use RP, that's great.

Originally Posted by babrown18
Thanks For the advice.. any insight on the third gear bite? or the short throw shifter?
If it still does it when it warms up, you may want to pull it and service the 3-4 parts.

Shifts are still going to be the same but your shift lever will need to move slightly less. This isn't going to do anything beneficial for the trans.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:20 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by jmd
Synthetic in the T56 in freezing temps? Zero gain at higher cost.
Recommended by Tremec? Nope. M1 is.
Whether the blocker ring story about Liberty testing their product holds any weight isn't relevant. There's simply zero gain in going w/ RP. Marketing fluff doesn't shift anything better.
If it helps your bottom line to sell and use RP, that's great.
I guess sense you don't build 150+ T56/TR6060 transmissions a year you wouldn't see the gains of Royal Purple over standard ATF. That's fine I don't expect you to. I didn't recommend that he use RP in his application, I was just curious why you told him not to.

We have seen a lot of overpowered T56 transmissions over the years and the ones using RP had noticeably less damage than transmissions using standard ATF. That is why we recommend RP for high HP cars.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:24 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
I guess sense you don't build 150+ T56/TR6060 transmissions a year you wouldn't see the gains of Royal Purple over standard ATF. That's fine I don't expect you to. I didn't recommend that he use RP in his application, I was just curious why you told him not to.

We have seen a lot of overpowered T56 transmissions over the years and the ones using RP had noticeably less damage than transmissions using standard ATF. That is why we recommend RP for high HP cars.
Are you claiming damage of synchros was less due to the synchro under RP being able to slow down an LS_ engine assembly when the clutch didn't release? Please elaborate on the damage. I'm sure it's thousands of RPM above and beyond my comprehension.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:36 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by jmd
Are you claiming damage of synchros was less due to the synchro under RP being able to slow down an LS_ engine assembly when the clutch didn't release? Please elaborate on the damage. I'm sure it's thousands of RPM above and beyond my comprehension.
No no, when I say "overpowered" I mean burnt up gear sets from putting too much horsepower through them. It has nothing to do with the synchros. I haven't seen any difference in blocking ring wear with RP vs. ATF.

I sense your sarcasm. I wasn't trying to say you couldn't comprehend anything. I was simply saying we see a lot of transmission traffic through here so we start to see trends after a while. Transmissions that are simply overpowered with standard ATF end up being completely melted down inside. The input and cluster gears are literally rounded off. Where as the transmissions running RP simply develop noise or wear and chip the teeth.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've always had T56's in New England, and no matter what fluid I run, what car they've been in...the first few shifts on a real cold day feel shitty...I just try to be extra gentle on cold days...once I've gone a mile or 2 it all feels fine/normal again.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Cool thanks for the advice. I hate to break stuff in the Cts-v cuz its always so damn expensive. So if y'all say royal purple is out of the picture for Tranny fluid what will top it?
Old 12-20-2010, 05:59 PM
Teching In

Amsoil Torque Drive. It's full synthetic and helps quite a bit with cold shifting. I put it in my 06 after the first winter with the car. It's still grumpy when it's -10C outside but nothing like the factory fill.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bolide
Amsoil Torque Drive. It's full synthetic and helps quite a bit with cold shifting. I put it in my 06 after the first winter with the car. It's still grumpy when it's -10C outside but nothing like the factory fill.
"Torque Drive" is an ATF I assume??
Old 12-20-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe you need to learn more. ALL manuals have a degraded shift quality when cold. Re-engineering the oil with ANYTHING other than the std ATF is just funny. Get their warranty on cold shifts....Like they really know! Buy all the moose-urine- enriched -mystry -oil you want , if you feel like some one else should have your money, but the std oil is what you should use.
BTW..

Quick Reply: problem's shifting in sub freezing temperatures