LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

it's a long shot....but help finding an oil leak on my 94 z28

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 11:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default it's a long shot....but help finding an oil leak on my 94 z28

can't figure out where it's coming from. the trans pan is soaked in oil, exhaust, oil filter, ABOVE the oil filter, back of the oil pan, starter, etc, all doused in oil. here's a video i took with my phone this afternoon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKqokTqz1Cw

Previous owner had the rear main seal replaced {on my birthday} this past august. if it IS the rear main, i'm bringing it back up to the shop in Manville who did it, and demanding they re-do it cause their work sucks. The car has only been driven about 2,000 miles since it was done {i have the receipt with the mileage on it}. I can't afford to shell out $700 to have it re-done at another shop.....

The guy i bought it from put some oil in it when we traded {this past wed}, and my girlfriend just put in 2 qts on Saturday. I'm sure it's going to need more tomorrow as well. I'm afraid of it catching on fire on the exhaust, oil getting on the back tires and spinning her out, or loosing all the oil and messing the motor up.........ANY help would be great. My girlfriend is currently using it as a DD at the moment....
Old 12-21-2010, 02:47 AM
Teching In

I think I know what it is; check the oil pressure sending unit. Not the best I idea to drive it leaking like that.

Last edited by henryz28; 12-21-2010 at 02:59 AM.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:54 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by henryz28
I think I know what it is; check the oil pressure sending unit.
x2...this is what led to the demise of my first motor.. leaked then finally backed out while I was on the freeway and spun the bearings before I realized what happened..
Old 12-21-2010, 04:57 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

The oil above the filter is not from the rear main. It would be impossible to get up that far. My guesses are the valve cover gaskets and/or the back of the intake manifold. Oil goes with the laws of gravity so start feeling around from the top of the engine to find out where the oil starts to form on the engine. Feel the heads (entire perimeter) just below the valve covers. Make sure hands are oil free and then feel the back of the manifold which is notorious for leaking.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would check the back of the intake also.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Another one for back of intake mani
Old 12-21-2010, 09:26 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by henryz28
I think I know what it is; check the oil pressure sending unit. Not the best I idea to drive it leaking like that.
i looked up the VIN and found it was an early 94:

Build Date: 1993-09-14

So according to the pic, the oil pressure sensor is above the oil filter? thing with that, the oil is all OVER the bottom of the car. passenger side as well....actually more on the passenger side than the driver side.

and if it was a valve cover, would it leak THIS much? also, wouldn't it burn off the exhaust manifolds before getting down there, and be smoking like crazy from under the hood? cause it's not.....

but by you guys looking at it, you're pretty much ruling out the rear main? cause i REALLY don't want to bring it up to the shop in Manville {2 hours away from me} if i don't have to, just for them to tell me it isn't the rear main, for something i might be able to fix myself.

thanks for the replies btw LoL

Last edited by Vinnie Madrox; 12-21-2010 at 09:27 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-21-2010, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get underneath it and do some looking with a good, powerful light. See how high up on the motor you can see oil. If you find oil on top of the bellhousing, it's the rear of the intake manifold.
According to the pic, that's a 95+ motor because of the location of the oil pressure sender. Yours is above the filter on the left side. That pic doesn't represent your setup.
Look and feel around. If I can't find the obvious culprit, I get about 6 cans of brake cleaner and spray all the oil off of the motor. After it's clean and dry, have someone start the car while you're under it, and look for the seeping oil. It should be obvious where it's coming from if it's leaking that much.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by qc97z
Get underneath it and do some looking with a good, powerful light. See how high up on the motor you can see oil. If you find oil on top of the bellhousing, it's the rear of the intake manifold.
According to the pic, that's a 95+ motor because of the location of the oil pressure sender. Yours is above the filter on the left side. That pic doesn't represent your setup.
Look and feel around. If I can't find the obvious culprit, I get about 6 cans of brake cleaner and spray all the oil off of the motor. After it's clean and dry, have someone start the car while you're under it, and look for the seeping oil. It should be obvious where it's coming from if it's leaking that much.
Thanks for the quick reply. I don't have a lift to really get under there and see what's going on, just a small hydrolic jack and jack stands. The video i posted {above} is all i could see. I'm fat so it's hard to get under there as it is haha.

also, there isn't much room to get my hand up there to feel/look for where the oil is coming from. on top of that, my girlfriend is driving the car to/from work every day. i won't be able to look at it until tomorrow ugh. I might set up the jack stands and maybe use a big block of wood to jack it up higher.....

anyone in the NJ area wanna come help out? I'm new to Fbodies. I've had 4 grand prixs {3 97's and a 99} and i'm a little mechanically inclined, but a second set of eyes/hands that KNOWS what they are looking at/for would be a HUGE help
Old 12-21-2010, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

intake mani
Old 12-21-2010, 10:51 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ok lets take a better approach at this whole thing.......clean all the oil off.....wipe it all dow till its clean.... then start the car up for a few min and see where its comming from.......if you see it dripping down the back of the block then its from the intake which is what im leaning towards........if its from the rear main you'll see it clear as day if the leak is as bad as it seems........dont drive the car cause it will cause oil to spread just let it sit there and idle........and you'll see where its comming from......
Old 12-21-2010, 10:57 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
ok lets take a better approach at this whole thing.......clean all the oil off.....wipe it all dow till its clean.... then start the car up for a few min and see where its comming from.......if you see it dripping down the back of the block then its from the intake which is what im leaning towards........if its from the rear main you'll see it clear as day if the leak is as bad as it seems........dont drive the car cause it will cause oil to spread just let it sit there and idle........and you'll see where its comming from......

alright, hopefully i'll be able to give that a try today. if not tomorrow :-/ thanks again
Old 12-21-2010, 12:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Whereabouts are you from in NJ?
Old 12-21-2010, 12:59 PM
Teching In

I'm in Howell, nj. My back fence is brick, nj
Old 12-21-2010, 01:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Heh...waaaay too far for me. Sorry bro!
Old 12-21-2010, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
Isn't that the same thing I said?
Old 12-21-2010, 01:11 PM
Teching In

How far down are you?
Old 12-21-2010, 01:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm in Bridgeport, right across from Delaware.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:29 PM
TECH Resident

if you have more on the PS you need to check the dip stick tube as well because when the engine has pressure it will find any hole it can spit out of....
Old 12-21-2010, 02:32 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by qc97z
Isn't that the same thing I said?
yea my b i kinda missed that lol........i woulndnt use brakekleen though thats a recipe for disaster

Quick Reply: it's a long shot....but help finding an oil leak on my 94 z28