Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

new head unit and front speakers

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking to do a small upgrade to my dead front door speakers and upgrade the headunit to something a little better.

Been looking at two options

option 1
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Alpine+C...99141300050000

option 2
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Kenwood+...&skuId=9541356

I like the way option 2 looks but I really have no idea about performance, option is cheaper and the looks of the headunit is ok but yet again I have no idea about performance. As a matter o fact I have no idea about any of this stereo stuff.

any input or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 12-23-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you going with 2-way speakers instead of components to save a few dollars, or unsure about the difference between the OEM speakers and the ones you linked?
Old 12-23-2010, 04:33 PM
Staging Lane

Well he has a camaro so it would be a bit difficult to mount components, it seems like he is looking for a basic upgrade from stock.

Personally, I would go with option 2, with the Kenwood head unit. I've used a few Kenwood decks and have friends with them too, and they are a pretty good overall head unit. Also, the Kenwood is Ipod input ready, so if you have your music on an ipod, you won't require any extra cables or cords, which I believe is the case with the Alpine.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a similar Kenwood unit off eBay for $84 shipped. I think Best Buy has gone down since their main competition, Circuit City went under. You might want to take a look at Crutchfield, or check out what system you like at BB and then buy them somewhere else.

What system do you currently have? If you're running the Monsoon system, you'll need component speakers for the front or you'll need to modify coaxial speaker for them to sound right. Are you going to do the install yourself?

One of the forum experts will chirp in if you give them a little more info about what you have, what you want, and most importantly, how much you want to spend. I will tell you that BB and a lot of audio shops are gonna try to push into something probably a lot higher than you need to spend if you just want basic audio.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:57 AM
On The Tree

All I have now is the stock monsoon system. Speakers up front are blown and i'm just looking for a little upgrade, nothing serious just something for some good quality sound.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're just trying to keep it cheap, then find a HU with the features you like, I prefer Kenwood, but I've bought what I thought were throwaway Dual units that performed better than my Sony units. I found that the stock HU was the weakest link in the stock system. The main thing is DON'T rip out or don't let someone rip out the Monsoon amp/speakers. The stock amp is fine, but a lot of radio shops (Best Buy) always want to rip the stuff out if you want them to install the stuff, when all they need to do is use a $10 harness.

The biggest problem is going to be the speakers. That's why the combo deal might not be a good way to go. The front speakers are component, not coaxial, even though they look like coaxial speakers. You can work around that by converting coaxials to component if you're handy with a soldering iron, otherwise, plug and play component speakers are going to run you more than $160, but it's still cheaper than ripping out the stock stuff to support coaxials and will probably sound better.

Sooo....

HU - $100
Speakers - $160
Mounting kit - $20

And you're good to go. Check out this thread for more advice:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...t-monsoon.html
Old 12-24-2010, 09:02 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have all those radios and include the installation gear in with them generally. I have a sick deal on the JVC KD-HDR60 right now. It has everything including HD radio built in and can match any color illumination. This radio was normally $169.99 and is on sale for $129.99 again, with the install gear included that has the nice Metra multi mount kit so you have every option for mounting it.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:32 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Tiny161092
All I have now is the stock monsoon system. Speakers up front are blown and i'm just looking for a little upgrade, nothing serious just something for some good quality sound.
I Had the Monsoon System as well and I upgrade my system in stages. Frist I did Speakers (Kicker KS6.2 in Doors and KS60 in b-piller) With Factory HU and Amp. Sounded like crap to me, So I Rewired the speakers and used the Factory Monsoon HU for about 2years. Then I picked up a Alpine HU(Cda-105) Sounds even better. Then this past fall(1 year latter) I added a MTX Thunderform. This seems plenty of stereo for me.

My brothers 02 ws6 with Monsoon he upgraded just the HU I was not all that impressed with the sound. (hes getting a new pair of Kicker 6.2 for Xmas tomorrow)

I have read some where. Monsoon Vs. aftermarket speakers, run at differnt ohms. This was the information I was pointed to when I first started changing my speakers. Be for I rewired them off the Factory HU which bypassed the monsoon Amps.

IMO; If your going to upgrade a Monsoon or Other Premium Factory speaker system. You need to bypass Factory Amp or Rewire Speakers. Even if you keep the under powering Factory HU for a little bit before replacing. I'm Finding this is true no matter the Make Or Model.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:41 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

You are in the minority then. There is no reason you can't get very good sound out of a premium system with the proper upgrades. The thing is that you have to do your research and get the right pieces to do the upgrade. The Monsoon is particularly good for upgrading because it uses an ordinary Delco head unit (very easy to replace) and the amp is decent quality. Getting the right speakers to match the amp is the important step.

Modern Bose systems can be upgraded although older Bose systems can be a bit of a problem. The Ford Shaker system takes new speakers well. Again, it really pays to learn as much as you can about the system before trying to upgrade.