Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5 "not ready" codes WTF! cant pass OBD2 inspection

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 12:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5 "not ready" codes WTF! cant pass OBD2 inspection

I went to go get my TA inspected the other day and got a "not ready rejection," so I didn't pass or fail and there was no charge, they just told me to put 60-100 miles on the car and try again, I was a little pissed. I was assuming that since my car has been tuned with HPtuners I wouldn't have any problems when it came time for my inspection. My rear O2's are tuned out because I dont have cats anymore and a few other codes for not having the AIR pump are also tuned out so my car never shows a SES light. I went to the guy that tuned my car and asked him if there was anything he could do tuning wise to help me pass. I think he pretty much said there is no way to get rid of the not ready codes and I would have to get an inspection waiver from the state by going and getting another not ready rejection from an inspection station again after I put some miles on the car. I would also need a drive cycle sheet signed to get a waiver. He said alot of his customers with GT500's have to do this. He gave me some ladies number to call that is with the NC DMV that will get me a waiver. For some fucked up reason her office hours are only from 8am-10am mon-fri and she wants to inspect my car herself. She said she we will need to see the SES light come on and turn off in order to give me a waiver. So i'm gonna have to miss work in order to do that I've already went and got a 2nd not ready rejection so I guess I'm ready but I'm still at the mercy of this DMV lady. I'm not sure what she meant about the SES light because I've never seen it come on since the car got tuned plus I've never had any issues that would trigger the dreaded SES light. Does everyone with a modded F-body have to do all this bullshit to get by inspection!? Is there really no way to just strait up pass inspection with no cats and AIR pump? Also is ther no way to get rid of your not ready codes after being tuned? I know that you can get by if you have 2 or less "not ready" codes. The monitors that are not ready on my car are: catalyst, secondary system, 02 sensor heater, evaporative system and 02 sensor. Thanks for reading, sorry for long write up. Any advice?

cliff notes: How does everyone with a heavily modded OBD2 car pass inpection!? I cant pass mine because of 5 "not ready" codes and I cant seem to get rid of them. I was told I would have to get an inspection waiver which is a pain in the *** to get. Anyone else run into this problem? Any advice, help?
Old 12-24-2010, 12:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

Find a differnt tuner. Your pcm can be setup to pass inspection.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:50 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by minytrker
Find a differnt tuner. Your pcm can be setup to pass inspection.
You are absolutely right. I know of a couple of tuners in Eastern NC whose cars will NEVER finish readiness because of they way they set them up.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:26 PM
Launching!

Would national speed in wilmington be able to do it? That's not too far from me. I had my car tuned at BNT
Old 12-26-2010, 10:36 AM
Launching!

so should I just try to get the inspection waiver, or spend some money getting tuned again and then trying to pass inspection legit? The waiver thing seems a little sketchy but it would be nice to save some money
Old 12-26-2010, 10:41 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Frost
You are absolutely right. I know of a couple of tuners in Eastern NC whose cars will NEVER finish readiness because of they way they set them up.
What shop would you recommend? I've always gone to BNT in Wilmington and never had a problem with them but have heard some bad things about them lately
Old 12-26-2010, 04:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Have your tuner set the air pump, cat and rear O2 codes to no error reported.

Russ Kemp
Old 01-02-2011, 05:15 AM
TECH Resident

The reason a scanner does not see I/M readiness even after driving the car for a good number of times is because your tuner has disabled the DTC processor enablers for those particular sensors. These have probably been set to NO MIL in C6002.

You still must go through the required "drive cycles" for all tests to pass each time the PCM gets re-programmed.

I am surprised your test station attendants do not at least visually inspect for the presence of the catalytic converters. They do here where I live.

Here's a word of caution just in case you are reaching the end of your patience; I would recommend that you keep your cool regarding the people inspecting your car. If they wish to take issue and start looking for the removal of emission components, you could be in for a big fine. Your tuner is another story and you have a reason to be upset with them.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Keep in mind...

The modifications you are listing are against the law, and our current administration in D.C. has increased penalties & enforcement in all areas of EPA compliance for businesses nation wide.

...no way to just strait up pass inspection with no cats and AIR pump?... I had my car tuned at XXX...

If you aren't careful, your tuning shop will get a NOV (Notice of Violation) with the DMV/EPA. The legal trouble for an individual like yourself is insignificant in comparison to the **** storm that will rain down on your tuner's business.

Regarding the EPA: They often use the following logic:
"Mr. Tuner, we found that your business intentionally modified this paying customers vehicle in a way that violates emissions regulations XXX-XXX. Therefore we can only assume that every vehicle your business has worked on in the last 2 years has been modified in a similar fashion, your fine will be $10,000 per vehicle..."

Since your tuner probably doesn't have lawyers or lobbyist's like BP, they will probably go broke.

Short version: I wouldn't mention the name of a company who is doing illegal work on your vehicle.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by twinturbo496
The modifications you are listing are against the law, and our current administration in D.C. has increased penalties & enforcement in all areas of EPA compliance for businesses nation wide.

...no way to just strait up pass inspection with no cats and AIR pump?... I had my car tuned at XXX...

If you aren't careful, your tuning shop will get a NOV (Notice of Violation) with the DMV/EPA. The legal trouble for an individual like yourself is insignificant in comparison to the **** storm that will rain down on your tuner's business.

Regarding the EPA: They often use the following logic:
"Mr. Tuner, we found that your business intentionally modified this paying customers vehicle in a way that violates emissions regulations XXX-XXX. Therefore we can only assume that every vehicle your business has worked on in the last 2 years has been modified in a similar fashion, your fine will be $10,000 per vehicle..."

Since your tuner probably doesn't have lawyers or lobbyist's like BP, they will probably go broke.

Short version: I wouldn't mention the name of a company who is doing illegal work on your vehicle.
Well I think they cover their *** by saying "our tuning services are for off road use only" but if a mod wants to delete this thread thats fine with me I certainly dont want to get anyone in trouble, and I got my issue taken care of its all good now
Old 01-13-2016, 06:01 PM

Default Same problem with Camaro

xricer: What did you do to correct the problem? My 2011 Camaro SS has the same issue after installing headers with high flow cats and getting an HP tuning. I have the EVAC and Catalyst not ready and can't get them to ready state. Any insight is appreciated.

Last edited by 2011Camaro2SS; 01-13-2016 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Missing text
Old 01-20-2016, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

For the rear O2 sensors that only check for cats working, add a spark plug foulerat the bung and put the sensor back in that. It'll pull the sensor far enough out of the exhaust stream to read OK, if needed tune to compensate by extending the OK range. Don't do it to the front O2 sensor needed for engine AFR!!!

FWIW my Subaru reads READY because the acceptable range was expanded to accept 0.1-16V

Quick Reply: 5 "not ready" codes WTF! cant pass OBD2 inspection