Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Has anyone tried AMERICAN PROWERTRAINS SF clutches?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 12:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Has anyone tried AMERICAN PROWERTRAINS SF clutches?

They have a nice looking twin disc setup with 2 different options for disc's and they are decently priced.

AMERICAN POWERTRAIN SF ProTwin

All twin disc clutches are not created equal! Most twins use old technology that requires tedious measuring and shimming while providing a disturbing on-off feel that is hard to modulate and murder on your transmission. SF Atomic Twins™ are different; way different. With all parallelism and spacing pre-set you can install the Atomic Twin in minutes with just a torque wrench. No shims and no screw-ups. The Atomic Twin’s game changing progressive engagement means that your discs hit one at a time, making the clutch feel like a light effort single disc clutch with super-smooth engagement. In fact, you won’t even know you have a twin disc clutch until you put the hammer down and take advantage of The Atomic Twin’s stratospheric 1095ft-lb power rating.

All ProTwin clutch systems come with the following components:
• Race Balanced Billet Flywheel – Choose Steel or Aluminum
• Insane holding power: Up to 1095ft-lbs
• Cryogenically hardened pressure plate and billet floater plate
• Progressive Engagement – no on/off switch feel
• Low Price – Hundreds of dollars less than competitors
• Choice of Organix™ or Ceramix™ discs
• Light pedal effort- lighter than most stock clutches
• No shims necessary – just bolt and go!
• All hardware, pilot bearing and alignment tool included
• The lowest price for a street/strip twin in the marketplace!

ORGANIC DISC'S rated for 855tq price with billet steel flywheel is $995.00 /add $200 for aluminum

CERAMIC CARBON rated for 1095tq price with billet steel flywheel is $1095.00 /add $200 for aluminum

HAS ANYONE TRIED ONE OR HEARD GOOD OR BAD ABOUT THEM?
Old 12-29-2010, 02:15 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Being in the clutch business myself I'm always interested to see new products. I was hoping to see a unique product like Monster's twin disc. However, this clutch looks a LOT like the ZOOM twin disc, which only uses 8.875" discs. The options and even descriptions are very similar to that of Zoom. Someone please prove me wrong, but I would dare say that it appears to be exactly the same as a Zoom, but painted black instead of purple.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TDP
Being in the clutch business myself I'm always interested to see new products. I was hoping to see a unique product like Monster's twin disc. However, this clutch looks a LOT like the ZOOM twin disc, which only uses 8.875" discs. The options and even descriptions are very similar to that of Zoom. Someone please prove me wrong, but I would dare say that it appears to be exactly the same as a Zoom, but painted black instead of purple.
Do you have a clutch that will handle 800-1000tq?

Is zoom a bad clutch setup?
Old 12-29-2010, 04:04 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Clean94Z
Do you have a clutch that will handle 800-1000tq?

Is zoom a bad clutch setup?
The Stage 3 clutch that I have is a single disc 12in cera-metallic 6-puck that is good for 700. I'm working on designing a twin 11in disc setup that would be good for 1000+. The Zoom isn't bad , but definitely over-rated IMO. I really don't think its as good as they say it is. I wouldn't think it would be any better than a singe 12in setup, like my Stage 3.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TDP
The Stage 3 clutch that I have is a single disc 12in cera-metallic 6-puck that is good for 700. I'm working on designing a twin 11in disc setup that would be good for 1000+. The Zoom isn't bad , but definitely over-rated IMO. I really don't think its as good as they say it is. I wouldn't think it would be any better than a singe 12in setup, like my Stage 3.
In your honest opinion what clutch should I use at 800-1000wtq?
Old 12-29-2010, 07:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Textralia Exo-Skel Triple disc might hold that much.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:04 AM
TDP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Clean94Z
In your honest opinion what clutch should I use at 800-1000wtq?
As much as I hate to say it, probably the Monster twin disc. I just had a customer looking for something like this. The good thing that they have is the fact that they use 11 or 12in discs. It's a lot like the one that I am currently designing, but unfortunately I don't have them on the market yet.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:51 AM
TECH Addict

Apparently monster abandoned the larger disc's in favor of the smaller 8-9" disc. Said they ran into some issues. I heard that over on LS1GTO if I'm not mistaken.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Id Say go with the RPS clutches for 1000RWHP. I love the idea of smaller disks in a clutch but only for all out racing. then its still has to have like 3-6 smaller disks not just 2
Old 03-16-2016, 01:03 AM

Default Atomic twin disc clutch

I bought an atomic twin disc clutch. American Power Train Said it would handle 800 engine horsepower in my 72 Chevy Chevelle. Side stepping the clutch at 7000 rpms with slicks. I smoked that clutch in less than 500 miles on the street. Never even hotting the track. I was running 28 tall, 12 wide M & H Street tires. It did not like the speed shifts into 3rd gear. I wasted some much money on that clutch. I called American PowerTrain, & guess what they said....I must have installed it wrong. They're back East, I'm in California. That I thought was a pretty bold statement to make after I just spent $6500 with them.....I dial indicated the bell housing to the block, clutch adjustment was dead on, possibly I could've had a defective pressure plate. after buying a McCloud dual disc clutch setup, running 10.20 quarter mile with only 768 dyno'd horsepower to the motor, all things are good. I would not recommend American PowerTrain Atomic Twin Disc Clutch to anyone! I will report back to let you know what ending they come back with.

AMERICAN POWERTRAIN SF ProTwin

All twin disc clutches are not created equal! Most twins use old technology that requires tedious measuring and shimming while providing a disturbing on-off feel that is hard to modulate and murder on your transmission. SF Atomic Twins™ are different; way different. With all parallelism and spacing pre-set you can install the Atomic Twin in minutes with just a torque wrench. No shims and no screw-ups. The Atomic Twin’s game changing progressive engagement means that your discs hit one at a time, making the clutch feel like a light effort single disc clutch with super-smooth engagement. In fact, you won’t even know you have a twin disc clutch until you put the hammer down and take advantage of The Atomic Twin’s stratospheric 1095ft-lb power rating.

All ProTwin clutch systems come with the following components:
• Race Balanced Billet Flywheel – Choose Steel or Aluminum
• Insane holding power: Up to 1095ft-lbs
• Cryogenically hardened pressure plate and billet floater plate
• Progressive Engagement – no on/off switch feel
• Low Price – Hundreds of dollars less than competitors
• Choice of Organix™ or Ceramix™ discs
• Light pedal effort- lighter than most stock clutches
• No shims necessary – just bolt and go!
• All hardware, pilot bearing and alignment tool included
• The lowest price for a street/strip twin in the marketplace!

ORGANIC DISC'S rated for 855tq price with billet steel flywheel is $995.00 /add $200 for aluminum

CERAMIC CARBON rated for 1095tq price with billet steel flywheel is $1095.00 /add $200 for aluminum

HAS ANYONE TRIED ONE OR HEARD GOOD OR BAD ABOUT THEM?[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: Has anyone tried AMERICAN PROWERTRAINS SF clutches?