LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

what to expect with no tune

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 11:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to expect with no tune

im doing a mild 355 rebuild and plan on keeping all the emmisions minus smog, and egr and watever wont be there with headers. what can i expect it to run like with no tune?
Old 12-31-2010, 12:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lots of SES codes. Expect it to run poorly if you're installing an aftermarket cam.

Generally, when you change emissions/valvetrain, a tune is a MUST-HAVE addition.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Lots of SES codes. Expect it to run poorly if you're installing an aftermarket cam.

Generally, when you change emissions/valvetrain, a tune is a MUST-HAVE addition.
yes i will be running a comp custom grind. do u think it will run good enough to break in before a tune?
Old 12-31-2010, 12:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What all is getting done?

If its just a 355 rebuild with headers and no emissions junk, same as every other car.

But like RamAir said, if you're doing a cam or anything like that, you better be close on the tune.

If anything, just get a mailorder, cheap enough and should get you some decent drivability.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Absolutely not.

Why WOULDN'T you get a tune? Assuming you just spent a few thousand on a rebuild, cam swap, exhaust, etc., another $150 should be nothing especially considering how poorly the engine would run.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Absolutely not.

Why WOULDN'T you get a tune? Assuming you just spent a few thousand on a rebuild, cam swap, exhaust, etc., another $150 should be nothing especially considering how poorly the engine would run.
i was wanting to get it dyno tuned so i would just wait until i thought it was broke in to get it tuned. how much is a mail order and who does them
Old 12-31-2010, 12:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

I use www.pcmforless.com, while others have used Ion, Ed Wright, etc.

The best thing to do is to use a mail-order tune first, then if you feel so inclined you can have it dyno-tuned at a later date. When I fired up my 383 for the first time last year, I ran a mail-order tune for over a year before I actually had it dyno-tuned.

You don't want to break in a new motor with a different cam on the stock tune. Bad idea.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

I use www.pcmforless.com, while others have used Ion, Ed Wright, etc.

The best thing to do is to use a mail-order tune first, then if you feel so inclined you can have it dyno-tuned at a later date. When I fired up my 383 for the first time last year, I ran a mail-order tune for over a year before I actually had it dyno-tuned.

You don't want to break in a new motor with a different cam on the stock tune. Bad idea.
howcome all the cars on youtube are sitting there running with no tune? obviously its not gonna run perfect. and what does running an aftermarket cam on stock tune bad?
Old 12-31-2010, 01:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want to blow up your brand new 355 go for it. If you have a tuner around you have a baseline done, as stated should cost no more than 150. And those untuned cars are cam only LS1s and generally the vids are just of them idling. Get a baseline/mail order to break it in, then get it fully tuned
Old 12-31-2010, 01:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LigHtEmUp01
howcome all the cars on youtube are sitting there running with no tune? obviously its not gonna run perfect. and what does running an aftermarket cam on stock tune bad?
Because they're impatient retards who want to just show off.

The purpose of retuning in short is because when you change the cam and the subsequent valve timing events, you're opening up the capability to deliver more fuel (that's the point of changing the valvetrain to get more power). Unless you program the PCM it just assumes it's still stock and therefore cannot deliver the fuel needed. It will literally fight against itself.

/short version
Old 12-31-2010, 08:56 AM
TECH Resident

/short version
^This.
Just because they say its untuned, doesnt mean its true. Its YT for cripes sake.
Get a mail order tune first.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

The purpose of retuning in short is because when you change the cam and the subsequent valve timing events, you're opening up the capability to deliver more fuel (that's the point of changing the valvetrain to get more power). Unless you program the PCM it just assumes it's still stock and therefore cannot deliver the fuel needed. It will literally fight against itself.

/short version
i understand that but im sure letting it run for a short while in the driveway wont hurt any
Old 12-31-2010, 12:38 PM
TECH Resident

i understand that but im sure letting it run for a short while in the driveway wont hurt any
why risk it????? tune should be on the top of your list before everything else!!!
Old 12-31-2010, 12:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe if you said that in the beginning people wouldnt be bustin your *****. it sounded like you were gonna drive around for a long time or just leave it like that untuned. just get a temperary mail order until you can get it on a dyno. whats the big deal? your the one that asked the question and people gave there opinions

Break in the engine like your gonna drive it, dont baby it.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

The LAST thing you want to do is let a fresh rebuild idle in the driveway with no load on it. You HAVE to go out and drive it, putting load on the motor, so that the rings properly seat, doing several 3/4 throttle runs consecutively.

Get a tune. It's far safer that way, period. You obviously don't have a complete understanding of how to break in a motor or how the tuning aspect works, so consider this a blessing that we're giving you crap about it. If you want your new motor to last, break it in the right way with a correct tune.

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
maybe if you said that in the beginning people wouldnt be bustin your *****. it sounded like you were gonna drive around for a long time or just leave it like that untuned. just get a temperary mail order until you can get it on a dyno. whats the big deal? your the one that asked the question and people gave there opinions

Break in the engine like your gonna drive it, dont baby it.
Right on.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

The LAST thing you want to do is let a fresh rebuild idle in the driveway with no load on it. You HAVE to go out and drive it, putting load on the motor, so that the rings properly seat, doing several 3/4 throttle runs consecutively.

Get a tune. It's far safer that way, period. You obviously don't have a complete understanding of how to break in a motor or how the tuning aspect works, so consider this a blessing that we're giving you crap about it. If you want your new motor to last, break it in the right way with a correct tune.

Right on.
how close can pcmforless get it? like is it gonna need alot more fine tuning or should it be pretty close
Old 01-01-2011, 04:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

how close can pcmforless get it? like is it gonna need alot more fine tuning or should it be pretty close
Put it this way...like I mentioned (in my third post), I ran a mail-order tune for over a year before I had it dyno-tuned, and that INCLUDED breaking in the new motor. The very first pull on the dyno with the mail-order tune, the car put down 440whp. Bryan only managed to get another 15whp out of it, so his original tune was pretty much spot-on. I ran countless 11.2-11.1 passes with the mail order tune also.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say you don't tune it blow it up and just burn a bunch of 100$ bills
Everyone is telling you to tune it man why not do it? if anything trailer it to the dyno to get it tuned. I mean even after bolt on's these cars benefit from a tune I'll be changing who I go to for my mail order tune when I get my stall but like they said don't risk it.....They have been there done that for the most part and won't steer you wrong lol

Quick Reply: what to expect with no tune