Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with prepping a 95 mustang for a LS1

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 12:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Help with prepping a 95 mustang for a LS1

I know, its been done may times and there is some great info here that is easily found using the search feature BUT there seems to be some simple topics being skipped over.

1)Stock ford under-hood wiring.
How much can be removed, what should be retained? FYI, I plan to have someone re-work my existing f-body harness or purchase a custom harness, I won't be trying to integrate the ford computer.

2)ABS.
Does the ABS module mounted in the stock position (on passenger sided core support) cause clearance problems with f-body accessories? Are there other concerns with retaining the ABS? Is it controlled by the ford pcm that’s going to be introduced to the trash can or ???

3)Fuel delivery
It appears that the 94-95 5.0 cars have a return type fuel system. If a Walbro 255 is installed in the factory tank are there any other modifications required to accommodate the LS1’s fuel needs? Is there a return style fuel rail available for the LS1 that will work with this setup?

4)Stock gauges
I've read that the oil, temp, & volt gauges are hardwired to their respective sensors. This should be as easy as adapting the ford sending units to the LS1, no problem here. How about the speedo and tach? What is required to make them function with this swap?

As you can probably tell I'm in the early stages of this swap. I'm sure there will be additional questions in the not so distant future. This site has been a great resource for this project & I hope to be able to contribute with my upcoming experiences.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're wanting to run a full set of gauges, seems like installing an F-body cluster in your dash would be the simplest way to go about it. I'd think that would make the tach and speedo functions fairly simple. I'm going off my experience with 87-93's, but I think about the only wiring you'll need under the hood will be too your headlights/running lights and airbag sensors. Assuming you'll be keeping the airbags intact. I can't help you on the factory brakes, as I've never dabbled with SN cars much. But my advice, for the sake of simplicity would be to go to a manual brake setup and eliminate the ABS.
My .02, GL and let's see some pics as you build.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:01 AM
TECH Regular

Ratbox, an f-body gauge cluster is an option. I'd like to hear the advantages and/or disadvantages of this from those who have done this swap.

Manual brakes are not an option for this swap. This car is going to be driven on a very regular basis by both myself and my wife. Creature comforts like power steering & brakes are an absolute necessity. I also plan to retain the A/C and hopefully cruise control.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:09 AM
TECH Regular

ttt, still looking for feedback here.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can have the GM ecu drive the ford tach, it's in the programming of the ecu. I removed all of the ford wiring harness right at the firewall connector. As for gauges I went with a Bullydog setup.

Edit: for the return style fuel system, I ran a Corvette regulator/filter.

Last edited by 99MUSTANG5.3L; 01-09-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:05 PM
Teching In

i would also like some input in wiring, to my under standing the chassis harness is separate and will run like it would normally like brake lights, headlights, dome lights, dash light ect, it just has to get power, or am i wrong
Old 01-10-2011, 09:29 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99MUSTANG5.3L
You can have the GM ecu drive the ford tach, it's in the programming of the ecu.
Good to know, so the only gauge left for me to figure out is the speedo.

Edit: for the return style fuel system, I ran a Corvette regulator/filter.
That seems to be be popular way to do it. Did your car (I assume a 99) originally have a return line running back to the tank from the fuel rail?
Old 01-10-2011, 05:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by boostnut
Good to know, so the only gauge left for me to figure out is the speedo.

That seems to be be popular way to do it. Did your car (I assume a 99) originally have a return line running back to the tank from the fuel rail?
Yea my car is actually a 2001 and I used the factory evap line for the return, just had to cap off one fitting that originally went to the charcoal canister.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:56 PM
TECH Regular

Yea my car is actually a 2001 and I used the factory evap line for the return, just had to cap off one fitting that originally went to the charcoal canister.
I guess I'm still not real clear on yours. Did it have a feed, return, and evap line all running from the tank up to the engine bay? The 94-95's do so I'm not sure why I would need the vette filter.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:06 PM
TECH Regular

I guess I'm still not real clear on yours. Did it have a feed, return, and evap line all running from the tank up to the engine bay? The 94-95's do so I'm not sure why I would need the vette filter.
Mine only had a feed and the evap line from the tank. I used a Walbro 255 fuel pump and stock truck rails which are not return style. I need a way to return excess fuel to the tank.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:50 AM
On The Tree

1)Stock ford under-hood wiring.
How much can be removed, what should be retained? FYI, I plan to have someone re-work my existing f-body harness or purchase a custom harness, I won't be trying to integrate the ford computer.
Get rid of anything that is ENGINE and/or POWERTRAIN related. Most everything on the car is stand alone or in other words does not tie into other harness and sub harnesses. You'll get to a point where you are following the wires to see what they connect to... when you're there - you're bout done. Leave ALL of the wiring for lights. Ditch the fan and ac stuff or at least set it out of the way. You won't need it.

2)ABS.
Does the ABS module mounted in the stock position (on passenger sided core support) cause clearance problems with f-body accessories? Are there other concerns with retaining the ABS? Is it controlled by the ford pcm that’s going to be introduced to the trash can or ???
Ditch the ABS all together. It is quite bulky and surprisingly A LOT of the wiring under the hood runs to and from the ABS. You can run new lines from the master just like you would a non ABS car once you're done. Do not forget to ditch the factory proportioning valve and run a good aftermarket one. Wilwood makes a nice one for like $40-50.

3)Fuel delivery
It appears that the 94-95 5.0 cars have a return type fuel system. If a Walbro 255 is installed in the factory tank are there any other modifications required to accommodate the LS1’s fuel needs? Is there a return style fuel rail available for the LS1 that will work with this setup?
Run the 255 like you're thinking - you will need to trigger the mustangs fuel pump relay with the output from the Fbody computer/harness unless you are running your own/new relay(s) for fuel. The pump relay is generally under the driver seat on Mustangs. You will wanna get the fittings from Russell or Earls that "quick connect" to your factory fuel lines where they connect to the mustangs fuel rails. YES the early vette rails have a return style rail setup and even come with a rising rate regulator if you ever want to add boost...

4)Stock gauges
I've read that the oil, temp, & volt gauges are hardwired to their respective sensors. This should be as easy as adapting the ford sending units to the LS1, no problem here. How about the speedo and tach? What is required to make them function with this swap?
Run the Fbody cluster. I've done it both ways and the camaro cluster is a MUCH nicer option IMO. Nice and simple. Unless of course you are going the expensive route and using all Auto Meter gauges which IS very nice but you'll pay for it. I've had Speartech wire in the fbody cluster plug on mine and I even spent the time to have the turn signals and hi beam indicators functional. To answer your questions though yes. You will just run ford sensors or pikcups on your LS motor. You will ALSO have to run all the GM sensors so that the computer sees all it needs to. The Speedo is easy since your car has an elec speedo input under the car.. tie in and tune for it. Tach - not sure but I think this may be a pain... You will need to find the pin on your factory cluster that is tach signal and then connect to signal from GM motor.
Good luck. Easy swap really.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:52 AM
On The Tree

Mine only had a feed and the evap line from the tank. I used a Walbro 255 fuel pump and stock truck rails which are not return style. I need a way to return excess fuel to the tank.
Are you still needing a way to return fuel?
Old 01-13-2011, 11:26 AM
TECH Regular

Mulletnotch, thanks for the info, that was exactly what I was looking for.

ABS) You are correct, the abs is bulky but I'm still trying to find out if I can retain its function without the ford computer. I would at least re-locate the module to the other side of the core support so its out of sight.

Fuel) Any idea what years the vette had the return fuel rail w/variable rate regulator? I'm gonna try to track one of these down. As long as it fits the LS1 f-body intake (which I assume it does) it will be perfect for this application.

Gauges) Still undecided on which cluster to use but I know I'm not going with Autometer. I want the interior to be somewhat stock appearing. What kind of work was involved with fitting the f-body cluster in the mustang dash & making it look presentable? Got any pics of yours?

Thanks again, I really appreciate the feedback.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mulletnotch
Are you still needing a way to return fuel?
No, I used the factory evap line. Post should have read needed not need.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

Here's a pic of the cluster in my car.
Attached Thumbnails Help with prepping a 95 mustang for a LS1-camaroclusterinstalled.jpg  
Old 01-14-2011, 10:46 AM
TECH Regular

Looks nice. What did you have to do to get the speedo & fuel gauge to function?
Old 01-15-2011, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

Looks nice. What did you have to do to get the speedo & fuel gauge to function?
Speedo is from the GM ECM or from the VSS on the 4l80... Gas gauge is just connected to the factory Ford lead/wire from the OEM cluster. You can change what ohms the gauge reads via HP Tuners. I'm using the 00 GT fuel level sending unit. You can do it your self without tooo much headache but I can't lie - having Speartech do mine made the extra $$ a no brainer.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:02 AM
TECH Regular

Just to clarify, were you able to use the GM ECM signal with the ford speedo? A little confusion here since you mentioned doing this twice, only once with the fbody cluster.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:46 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1quickguido
i would also like some input in wiring, to my under standing the chassis harness is separate and will run like it would normally like brake lights, headlights, dome lights, dash light ect, it just has to get power, or am i wrong
yes, as long as you keep the headlight harness/fuse box on the car, it will control all the power to the chassis. my car has all the engine harness's removed and i hooked up a jumper box to the fuse box, grounded the two wires on the harness and wallah. windows up and down, brake lights on, wipers worked all like it should. the car's chassis is now stand alone and the motor will be too in my case. using an altered factory chevy harness/pcm.

gauge wise, i'm going with a racepak, just for ease of instillation, accuracy, and ability to datalog which is nice
Old 01-29-2011, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I really want to keep my stock 98 cluster. I just need to get the:

1) speedo, which I can run off the PCM vss signal
2) coolant temp, which can be run from a ford sensor installed in the head then wired to the cluster?
3)tach, can be directly wired to cluster and reprogammed via HPT

does that about sum it up? Seems pretty straight forward. If so, then I would be set and super happy!

-Garrett

Quick Reply: Help with prepping a 95 mustang for a LS1