Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TCI six speed auto

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 03:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TCI six speed auto

I was reading about this trans and its sounds great. Any real world reviews? How is it holding up to its rating of 850hp? I'm considering it in my big block GN. Any issues with it?

Thanks for looking.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

search! still pretty new and not to many have it but those who do like it
Old 01-23-2011, 05:27 PM
Teching In

I had searched, I was looking to see if there was any new input out there. Like you said, its still pretty new and there wasnt much info to by.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:40 AM
Launching!

I would stay away from that unit. I have a customer who bought one and had nothing but problems.Long story short we put 3 units in the truck and none of them worked properly and he got his money back.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:48 PM
Staging Lane

Angry Tci6xsixspeed

Originally Posted by 72blownvert
I would stay away from that unit. I have a customer who bought one and had nothing but problems.Long story short we put 3 units in the truck and none of them worked properly and he got his money back.
WHAT WAS THE PROB W/H IT IM looking at buying one but after reading this maybe not?
Old 01-25-2011, 07:30 AM
Launching!

The trans never shifted properly.TCI sent me some solenoids to change which took them 2 weeks because they sent the wrong solenoids(which i new would not fix problem)sent the unit back for the 1st time.They said the tune was incorrect so they sent a tune that guaranteed it would fix the problem,well it did not.Sent the trans back again put our own tune in drove for about 200 miles and stopped moving sent unit back again and got his money back.These units have some major hydrolic issues and TCI will not admit to it nor are they very helpful or respectful on the tech line.Every trans shifted so hard that you would think the bolts in the seat would break,and about a 2-3 second delay in reverse among other issues.They have not worked out the problems yet and for the price they charge its not worth the hassle IMO.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:28 AM
Staging Lane

Default Tci 6 x six speed

THANK YOU you probally just saved me $8000.00 ill just stick w/h my six speed(damn it ) i was really hoping they made a auto /w/h od that would handle 1000 hp at wheels or at least be close I dont like the six speed simply because when you load it up and shift the car unloads and gets really loose when you shift and wood it!!!
Old 01-25-2011, 11:06 AM
11 Second Club

The trans never shifted properly.TCI sent me some solenoids to change which took them 2 weeks because they sent the wrong solenoids(which i new would not fix problem)sent the unit back for the 1st time.

They said the tune was incorrect so they sent a tune that guaranteed it would fix the problem,well it did not.

Sent the trans back again put our own tune in drove for about 200 miles and stopped moving sent unit back again and got his money back.

These units have some major hydrolic issues and TCI will not admit to it nor are they very helpful or respectful on the tech line.

Every trans shifted so hard that you would think the bolts in the seat would break,and about a 2-3 second delay in reverse among other issues.They have not worked out the problems yet and for the price they charge its not worth the hassle IMO.
Was there any difference in how the trans shifted when you switched between "A (everyday driving tune)" to "B (performance shift tune)"?

Did both auto shift and manual shift have the same Hard shift issue?

Who's TQ Converter were you using, single are dual disc style etc, what stall rpm and what's HP&TQ of engine putting out?

Have to agree on TCI Tech help being way to defensive and that's before you even get your question(s) out of your mouth... Doesn't seem to matter which of their products your asking about either.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by poorhousenext
Was there any difference in how the trans shifted when you switched between "A (everyday driving tune)" to "B (performance shift tune)"?

Did both auto shift and manual shift have the same Hard shift issue?

Who's TQ Converter were you using, single are dual disc style etc, what stall rpm and what's HP&TQ of engine putting out?

Have to agree on TCI Tech help being way to defensive and that's before you even get your question(s) out of your mouth... Doesn't seem to matter which of their products your asking about either.
It did not matter which tune was in the trans performance or daily driver.They blamed the first failure on our tune after the solenoids did not fix it.We could not get it to shift without snaping your neck and they said "this is a performance transmission it is supposed to shift hard".hard is one thing but it was unbearable.It did the same thing with there tune then it took a dump.The converter was a TCI also dual disc 2500 stall.I do not know the output on engine but it was a crate GM small block with a small cam ,intake ,headers.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by meman
THANK YOU you probally just saved me $8000.00 ill just stick w/h my six speed(damn it ) i was really hoping they made a auto /w/h od that would handle 1000 hp at wheels or at least be close I dont like the six speed simply because when you load it up and shift the car unloads and gets really loose when you shift and wood it!!!
If you really want a six speed auto i am pretty sure jakeshoe is working on one.Or you can stick with an 80E as a 4 speed which you cant go wrong with.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Whats wrong with a 4L80e OP? Less forward gears but same final OD. If its still not low enough add a gearvendors OD or higher gears
Old 01-25-2011, 03:19 PM
11 Second Club

It did not matter which tune was in the trans performance or daily driver.They blamed the first failure on our tune after the solenoids did not fix it.We could not get it to shift without snaping your neck and they said "this is a performance transmission it is supposed to shift hard".hard is one thing but it was unbearable.It did the same thing with there tune then it took a dump.The converter was a TCI also dual disc 2500 stall.I do not know the output on engine but it was a crate GM small block with a small cam ,intake ,headers.
Are you telling me that there was no switch wired in so he could switch between A & B stored shift tunes? That you had to dump stock tune and load another tune?

Did the owner have manual 6 gear shift mode capability, or could he only shift to drive position and trans shifted itself thru the 6 gears?

I'm beginning to wonder if the converted allowed any slippage so shift would be less harsh even with a street tune. More converter than needed to hold engine.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by poorhousenext
Are you telling me that there was no switch wired in so he could switch between A & B stored shift tunes? That you had to dump stock tune and load another tune?

Did the owner have manual 6 gear shift mode capability, or could he only shift to drive position and trans shifted itself thru the 6 gears?

I'm beginning to wonder if the converted allowed any slippage so shift would be less harsh even with a street tune. More converter than needed to hold engine.
There was a switch for daily driving,performance,dyno.Yes it could shift manually or auto.Also had paddle shifter as well.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:32 PM
Staging Lane

jake shoe? phone number please
Old 01-25-2011, 09:35 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by meman
jake shoe? phone number please
http://www.jakesperformance.com/

He's a sponsor now.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:42 PM