Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody used a Windstar radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 10:56 AM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Anybody used a Windstar radiator?

Hey guys, everyone here talks about how the windstar fans are a great alternative and fit A-bodies well. Has anyone use the radiator out of one? I'm going to pick up the fans this weekend and figured I might as well grab the radiator too if it'll work.

Setup is 69 GTO convertible with an LY6/T56.

Thanks
Jim
Old 01-26-2011, 03:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never heard of anyone using Windstar, I've heard of people using Taurus fans. Have you ever thought about using stock f-body fans and rad? Good luck.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:45 PM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I've read at least a dozen posts where people are using windstar fans.. They push over 4000cfm and cost ~$20. I was wondering if people ever used the radiators, since they're readily available and I must be pretty heavy duty if they require a fan that pushes that kind of air.... or are crappy radiators and that's why you needed such a big fan..

F-body fan and radiators are a solid backup if I can find them
Old 01-26-2011, 06:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Any radiator that has a reasonable cooling capacity is acceptable as long as you can make hoses fit your application. I'm using my stock V6 radiator and single fan in the Thunderbird and ironically the radiator is actually larger than a factory V8 F-Body radiator. My Thunderbird never goes past 197 or so while my 02 WS6 with dual fans usually runs in the 200 - 210 range under the same circumstances. When I change the fan on / off temp on the TA to match the Thunderbird, the fans run most of the time while the Thunderbird fan only comes on for a few seconds at a time. Readings are direct from the PCM and both are using the stock 190 degree thermostats.

HTH
Old 01-26-2011, 09:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Odd... I've been here for years and never heard of using the Windstar fan, Mark VII or Taurus for sure though...
Old 01-26-2011, 10:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Odd... I've been here for years and never heard of using the Windstar fan, Mark VII or Taurus for sure though...
Its a Chevy thang, you wouldn't understand.......lol

We had to show ford how to use em, since their fans out last most of the windstar motors...

Truth be told all of these guys running around talking about the data info, but I am the one who got the info and its funny, how the word has traveled...I posted that data back in 09 and it has finally made it over here by a guy who copied my post and pasted my post. The key distinction that guys are leaving out is that the 4000+ cfm is from Dorman data test tech... That does not necessarly mean that a factory unit or other brand will flow 4000+cfm..... The only verification of 4400 cfm+ was done and recieved by Dorman. I stayed on the phone with the Dorman tech for 1-2 hrs as he went through all of the test files.

Was posted back in 2009 and has traveled across the web....lol

I spoke with Dorman today and they make the OEM DORMAN Part # 620131...... The tech gave me results from the test sheets that they had on file and I thought I would share it with the board for guys looking for a budget friendly electrical fan assembly.
The fans are $106 at Rock Auto, but I am sure they can be found in the junkyard or salvage yard for less........

Test Results:

2000 Ford Windstar Fan Assembly
left fan: 340ml= 13.3inches
right fan: 390ml=15.3inches

left fan: 60.3cmm=2129.193cfm
right fan: 64.4cmm=2273.964cfm
this was rated at 1935 RPMS
4403.157 cfm total......

ml= milliters
cmm= cubic meters per minute
cfm= cubic feet per minute
conversion from cmm to cfm done by cmm x 35.31= cfm

Only $106..... dorman 99-03 ford windstar fan 6 blades but bigger fan blades.
The 94-98 dorman fans has 8 blades but smaller blades. I don t know if the having more blades are better or if its the design of the blade thats better.......
Bozz
Old 01-27-2011, 08:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Off topic, but how much airflow do you really need? The fan on my Mav is a leftover 16" single from a Buick GN that is rated 2200 CFM. It cools my cammed LS motor just fine and that's with an A/C condenser and B&M trans cooler in front of it. We're also 15 miles from the Gulf in SETX where the heat index is 95+ from May to October...
Old 01-27-2011, 09:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Off topic, but how much airflow do you really need? The fan on my Mav is a leftover 16" single from a Buick GN that is rated 2200 CFM. It cools my cammed LS motor just fine and that's with an A/C condenser and B&M trans cooler in front of it. We're also 15 miles from the Gulf in SETX where the heat index is 95+ from May to October...
Not off topic at all... that was the exact point I was making. I forgot to mention my Thunderbird is using the factory two speed fan on low only because high isn't necessary.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
Not off topic at all... that was the exact point I was making. I forgot to mention my Thunderbird is using the factory two speed fan on low only because high isn't necessary.
Yelp, when I originally got the data, it was for a BBC that was bored .030... So as you said, I am sure the fans that you and S10xGN have should suffice for a SBC easily.. Hell the Dodge Neon fans would work and cool a BBC..

So as I said the data was from Dorman and the fan's motors and system they use. I cannot account or know what the factory or other brands would do.

I will say with the Dorman 2000 Windstar fans I have, they cool very quickly. When they do kick on, they drop the fans 10-15 degrees in less than 20 seconds.. Plus I have a alum radiator that was big enough to keep a BBC around 160-170* without the fans on. So

I am sure other factor fans will work as well.

Bozz

Quick Reply: Anybody used a Windstar radiator?