Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

"Old school" HU / one-piece?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 09:27 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default "Old school" HU / one-piece?

All I see anymore are these stereos that look like one
of the Transformers a$$-fucked a GameBoy. Like I
want a bunch of red, blue or violet lights in geometric
patterns, sticking out of my console.

I have an old Panasonic cassette deck in the Caprice
that would actually kinda match - all black, just small
orange numerical display. Nothing eye catching, which
is the whole point since the Camaro interior is basically
old school, just black.

Of course I'm really interested in something that plays
either MP3 CD-Rs or a SD / USB memory, since my
changer has evidently died. But I really want something
that doesn't look like a bad boob job with technicolor
tatoos and a glow-in-the-dark nipple ring.

Does anybody make anything you could call subtle anymore?
Old 02-01-2011, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/cde-100

Alpine has always kept there classic design and have been excellent stereos in my opinion.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...%7CGRP2021____

Just put this one in mine after Christmas, be sure to put "LC123" in the coupon code for a 40% discount. It blends in very nicely with the dash with a flush mount dash kit. I ordered two Pioneer 6.5" and this CD player and paid about $70 with tax, picked up in store. It amazes me how this stuff has come down, my first Pioneer in 1997 was over $300.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you like the look of the factory unit you could always just put in a wired FM modulator behind the dash and use an external MP3 player to play the music through the modulator. Make sure it's a wired unit because the wireless ones are CRAP! I do these pretty regularly for customers that do not like the looks of the newer aftermarket stuff. They control the MP3s at the player and the volume on the radio.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm the same way - I wanted aux in for my iPod but many new HU are a little too gaudy for me. I ended up settling for a Kenwood as shown in this thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...u-install.html

I wanted to keep the stock HU and come up with a solution that used the stock HU but after doing research, I found out it was cheaper to buy a new HU than get some of the other options, put the stock HU isn't that great a sounding unit to begin with. As you can see in the thread, done right they look pretty good, especially with the Humount.

Last edited by Cheap Guy; 02-01-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ncsu602
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...%7CGRP2021____

Just put this one in mine after Christmas, be sure to put "LC123" in the coupon code for a 40% discount. It blends in very nicely with the dash with a flush mount dash kit. I ordered two Pioneer 6.5" and this CD player and paid about $70 with tax, picked up in store. It amazes me how this stuff has come down, my first Pioneer in 1997 was over $300.
Weird, advance has that listed as 2 different model numbers. I googled the actual deh-1200mp, looks real nice. The red buttons will match the T/As interior perfectly. Nice simple display too.
Great find!
Old 02-01-2011, 08:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine may actually be an 1100mp, I'll have to look for sure. Mine has the green display, even though I wanted the red one. It also has the remote. The best deal I've seen is the local Walmarts here in NC (not sure if it's regional or not) have the same headunit without remote and 4 6.5" 2-ways for $89.99. I've seen alot of people buy this and sell the speakers on ebay for $30-$40. This stuff is cheap, and seems to be good quality.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh for sure, pioneer has always had some pretty decent stuff. That 1200mp I found on a non sponser site for $64 including mount, harness, and attenae adapter. I think I may have to bite the bullet on it. It also says that it's compatible with the adapter for the steering controls.
I appreciate you posting that link, I may have overlooked it altogether.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I just bought a mint cd player to go back in my car to replace a radio delete I did last year. I like the blending look of the stock cd player and the PAC adapter lets you hook up your MP3 so its all good.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:57 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The new JVC stuff is has some units that are all black face and have all the multimedia stuff with a modest display. They did away with the silver stuff from previous year. They also color match any interior and have great sound quality. I will have them up on the site soon.