Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rubber on back wheel wells

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 05:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rubber on back wheel wells

hey guys I am running into a problem when i go to the track. I have a white 98 z28 and when i go the track i am always getting the rubber from the track stuck behind my rear wheels. What are you guys doing to get this off of the car. vasoline? waxing the car the day before?
Old 02-12-2004, 06:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Location: From the Bowels of Hell!!! You want some of me bitch?!?!?!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is sonme stuff that paint shops use to coat the inside of their booths with on the light bulb parts. Sprays on with a bottle type sprayer and then dries hard. Whenyou hit it with water, it turns to soap and washes right off, rubber and all. I can't remember the name of it but they call it Slime I think.
Old 02-12-2004, 06:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I heard Wd40 works great too.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Wd40 works if you wanna use a whole damn can, make a complete mess, and ruin numerous towels. Been there done that.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:46 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tim98TA
Wd40 works if you wanna use a whole damn can, make a complete mess, and ruin numerous towels. Been there done that.
Worked fine when I used,I applied a small amount of it on a old shop rag came right out.I don't understand why you would want to use the whole can.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:58 PM
TECH Junkie

28" ET Streets throw a LOT of rubber.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:59 PM
TECH Veteran

i use the geddex burnout guard on my white ta. keeps all the rubber from sticking and washes rite off
Old 02-12-2004, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

would advance auto parts or pep boys have any of these products u guys r talkin bout? WD40? I'll try it thanks guys
Old 02-12-2004, 08:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by myricekiller
would advance auto parts or pep boys have any of these products u guys r talkin bout? WD40? I'll try it thanks guys
i get it from thunder. last a long time. about 10 bucks
Old 02-12-2004, 08:44 PM
TECH Addict

I just put on a coat of wax and don't take it off. Leave it there untill I get home and just wash everything right off. Never any rubber stuck on the car.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:03 PM
TECH Junkie

WD40 - works fine for small amounts of rubber
geddex burnout guard - never tried it
wax - hot rubber works right through wax. No good

Most of you are running Nittos/Dr's, 26" ET Streets. When I had those tires, these products were ok cause most of the rubber was thrown UNDERNEATH the wheel well. 28" ET Streets throw rubber EVERYWHERE. I have to clean my rear window, t-tops and even hood sometimes. The rubber that is the biggest problem, is the rubber you see that looks like it was poured on the car. That was hot hot rubber and it is a bitch to get off. The little particles of rubber aren't that bad. Matter of fact, I have found that those come of easy if you let them sit on the car for a day or 2 and even put cool water on them to harden them more. They just kinda wipe off.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

I run at the track every nise weekend and they open the track here year round. Never any problem with the wax!
Old 02-12-2004, 09:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Tim98TA
WD40 - works fine for small amounts of rubber
geddex burnout guard - never tried it
wax - hot rubber works right through wax. No good

Most of you are running Nittos/Dr's, 26" ET Streets. When I had those tires, these products were ok cause most of the rubber was thrown UNDERNEATH the wheel well. 28" ET Streets throw rubber EVERYWHERE. I have to clean my rear window, t-tops and even hood sometimes. The rubber that is the biggest problem, is the rubber you see that looks like it was poured on the car. That was hot hot rubber and it is a bitch to get off. The little particles of rubber aren't that bad. Matter of fact, I have found that those come of easy if you let them sit on the car for a day or 2 and even put cool water on them to harden them more. They just kinda wipe off.
i run the 11.50 et street. it throws plenty of rubber. no problems getting it off with the geddex
Old 02-13-2004, 09:53 AM
Motorboater

rubber is a pain in the ***. when my car was daily driven still and was on a nitto i would get a ton of rubber on teh car but it would wipe off with a wash mitt and soapy water. When i went to full slicks, man that stuff is nasty. slick seems to throw up this hot molten crap that sticks like absolute glue, i hate cleaning it off. WD40 just makes a big nasty mess..best thing I've found so far is to soak it with Simple Green and then scrub it off. I'm gonna look into that burnout guard stuff for this year cuz i just got new paint and don't want hot rubber sticking to it...ate all my clearcoat off my factory paint by the fenders in two seasons if that.

and Tim98 you're right, big tires throw **** everywhere, i get it on my rear window, doors, t tops, hood, you name it.
Old 02-13-2004, 01:50 PM
10 Second Club

Ive also heard of people appliying vaseline around the area that is getting stuck with the rubber before a run.I believe the area has to be clean when applied on and after your done wipe it off.I have not tried this method nor do I know if it is messy or not.I doubt it tho.
Old 02-13-2004, 02:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by RobZ
Ive also heard of people appliying vaseline around the area that is getting stuck with the rubber before a run.I believe the area has to be clean when applied on and after your done wipe it off.I have not tried this method nor do I know if it is messy or not.I doubt it tho.
the burnout guard dries almost unnoticable and works great sofar
Old 02-13-2004, 04:30 PM
7 Second Club

I started using burnout guard last year, that stuff works great!

Tim, I hear ya, the nova throws the stringy rubber all over the quarters and trunk! Usually takes me an hour and a bunch of shop rags to remove it if I don't use the guard beforehand.

derek
Old 02-14-2004, 03:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
rubber is a pain in the ***. when my car was daily driven still and was on a nitto i would get a ton of rubber on teh car but it would wipe off with a wash mitt and soapy water. When i went to full slicks, man that stuff is nasty. slick seems to throw up this hot molten crap that sticks like absolute glue, i hate cleaning it off. WD40 just makes a big nasty mess..best thing I've found so far is to soak it with Simple Green and then scrub it off. I'm gonna look into that burnout guard stuff for this year cuz i just got new paint and don't want hot rubber sticking to it...ate all my clearcoat off my factory paint by the fenders in two seasons if that.

and Tim98 you're right, big tires throw **** everywhere, i get it on my rear window, doors, t tops, hood, you name it.
Simply Green ATE up my clear coat on a 67 Camaro with a very expensive custom paint job! I'd stay far away from that stuff. Best combo I've found is a good base coat of wax and then a couple of light layers of Geddy's.

I was so desperate at one time, I tried Pam cooking spray on a recommendation from another racer... disaster.
Old 02-15-2004, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

Mudflaps... with chrome-lady profile.