Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just my superbowl luck.. trans went out

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 08:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry just my superbowl luck.. trans went out

driving to my friends super bowl party. went to turn onto this street that just got paved, so i figured to give it a WOT run. turned and was going about 10 mph and floored it. lost traction a little bit, then shifted into 2nd. then, boom. a weird noise out of no where. its not like a grinding sound or metal to metal. but almost like something is rubbing together, making an extremely weird noise. i was going about 50 mph and i put it into N and it still made the noise but kinda faintly disappeared. then put it back into drive and made that noise again. then i put it into 3rd and it didnt make the noise at all?? and drove fine . got to a "private" road where i could leave it for a couple hours until one of my adult drag racing friends could help me tow it home.

well about an hour later we go to tow it and the front bumper was to low to the ground to get it on the trailer and we had no wood. i opted to drive it home (< 2mi away). it still made the noise constantly just not as bad as it did at 50mph. i drove it about 25mph home.

i bought the car w/ the trans fluid roughly about 1 1/2- 2 quarts high because it was being stored for winter up in NY. and was about to change the trans filter and oil then this **** happened. there isn't any metal in the trans fluid but it does smell burnt?

ill have more info on it tomorrow afternoon once me and my buddy get home from school and can put it on jack stands and see if its the rear end or the trans. i'm pretty sure its the trans. i'm trying to look at this situation as an opportunity not a problem. if its the trans ill get it fixed and then possibly get a t-56 and if its the rear end ill get 3.23's instead of 3.73's.

damn thats alot of typing. well thanks for reading. here are the tranny and rear end mods-

4L60E
3500 stall
stronger bands
corvette shift servo's
carbon clutches
trans go shift kit
all clutches built in every gear
carbon fiber drive shaft

12 bolt Moser whole assy
3.73 gears
33 spline
custom alloy axles
chrome rear end cover
Old 02-06-2011, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

oops sounds like you broke your sunshell or forward sprah maybe depending on what you dont have do you have reverse 2nd ad 4th?
Old 02-07-2011, 09:07 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Predator T/A
oops sounds like you broke your sunshell or forward sprah maybe depending on what you dont have do you have reverse 2nd ad 4th?
ohh i forgot to add it has a hardened sunshell. i have basically all the gears but it makes that noise in all of them. ill get a video up tonight to show yall exactly what im talking about.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

if the noise goes away in 3rd you may have dmaged a planet set in third gear everthing turns as one so a dmaged planet would be quiet in third gear.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:27 AM
Staging Lane

Your a Steelers fan aren't you?? this may be the cumpret lol

In all seriousness though, sorry to hear about your luck, I do my best to stay away from automatic transmissions for this very reason. Something bad is always happening to them.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:33 AM
12 Second Club

if the noise goes away in 3rd you may have dmaged a planet set in third gear everthing turns as one so a dmaged planet would be quiet in third gear.
okay thank you for the info. ill get you a video so you can try and pin point it better.
Originally Posted by nbm00ss
Your a Steelers fan aren't you?? this may be the cumpret lol

In all seriousness though, sorry to hear about your luck, I do my best to stay away from automatic transmissions for this very reason. Something bad is always happening to them.
lol no. i could care less about those teams in the superbowl.

yeah ill be searching around junkyards here in jacksonville to try and find a t-56. i love manuals but this trans is BUILT. so its a tough decision but first i gotta diagnose whats wrong with it.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:57 PM
Staging Lane

Good luck on the search, if you can't find anything up that way my friend bought a T56 from somewhere around here I can see if they have any. I've had built and stock 4L60's and IMO they just suck. T56 all the way for me once I pick up another SS.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by s25hanh
okay thank you for the info. ill get you a video so you can try and pin point it better.

lol no. i could care less about those teams in the superbowl.

yeah ill be searching around junkyards here in jacksonville to try and find a t-56. i love manuals but this trans is BUILT. so its a tough decision but first i gotta diagnose whats wrong with it.
if you wanted you could bring it over here and i could take a look at it and see whats going on with it I live over by unversity and bowden.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:19 PM
12 Second Club

if you wanted you could bring it over here and i could take a look at it and see whats going on with it I live over by unversity and bowden.
you think it could make it that far? would it majorly eff up the trans if i did drive it there?.... i live in mandarin btw so its about 30 mins from here and 20 miles.

Originally Posted by nbm00ss
Good luck on the search, if you can't find anything up that way my friend bought a T56 from somewhere around here I can see if they have any. I've had built and stock 4L60's and IMO they just suck. T56 all the way for me once I pick up another SS.
if i can find a T56 cheap enough ill do the swap after i fix the current trans. thanks for the input.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:29 PM
12 Second Club

the videos are at the bottom of the page (4 of them). it started slipping in first then i guess the PCM decided to start it off in 2nd. it would only start off in 1st if i put the shifter in 1st. you can hear the noise it makes when i let off the gas in all the videos. oh and the weird thing is went i put it in reverse the for the videos today, i did just fine but after everything warmed up and stuff then it starting acting up and all that.
https://picasaweb.google.com/afagen1...P_onuOmzK3iWg#

checked my fluid in the last video. it still smells "burnt" and a good INCH above the hot marking on the trans dip stick. (was in operating temp) trans fluid is extremely high
Old 02-08-2011, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah man you broke something give me a call 416-4979 you knw the area
Old 02-08-2011, 10:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about your luck with your trans but unfortunately it does happen, parts do break. Unfortunately if you switch to a T56 and you drag race the car at all at the track I can guarantee you are going to lose ET, you will gain MPH but lose ET. T56's are not invincible either, once you start making some power they tend to break input shafts and the sycnros are teflon so they tend to start grinding gears on fast shifts after some wear. I would look into what caused the problem first before you start blaming the automatic transmission and thinking about changing. Look at any 9 sec or sub 9 sec car out there, they are automatics, that should tell you something.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Iam leaning towrads a forward sprag rolled by what i seen on the video pretty easy fix if nothignelse took the hit. I could probably come by tommrow after i get out of work and see whats up with it so we can get you back on the road again. could also be a busted planetary set.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:42 PM
12 Second Club

yeah man you broke something give me a call 416-4979 you knw the area
okay thank you sir. i will be calling Thursday afternoon.
Originally Posted by tording99Z28
Sorry to hear about your luck with your trans but unfortunately it does happen, parts do break. Unfortunately if you switch to a T56 and you drag race the car at all at the track I can guarantee you are going to lose ET, you will gain MPH but lose ET. T56's are not invincible either, once you start making some power they tend to break input shafts and the sycnros are teflon so they tend to start grinding gears on fast shifts after some wear. I would look into what caused the problem first before you start blaming the automatic transmission and thinking about changing. Look at any 9 sec or sub 9 sec car out there, they are automatics, that should tell you something.
very true . i just dislike the stall in there, sure its great for racing but sucks at daily driving. my first truck was a stick shift so i just grew to love that. but yeah the trans will be fixed before anything else it done. and probably wont swap to a t56 unless i get a great opportunity.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:43 PM
12 Second Club

Iam leaning towrads a forward sprag rolled by what i seen on the video pretty easy fix if nothignelse took the hit. I could probably come by tommrow after i get out of work and see whats up with it so we can get you back on the road again.
would it be able to make it 20 miles over there?.. i have a friend that has a trailer but wouldn't want to use it unless i had to
Old 02-08-2011, 10:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wouldnt drive it like that you start killing more hard parts then you have more damage.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:49 PM
12 Second Club

I wouldnt drive it like that you start killing more hard parts then you have more damage.
okay ill call on thursday and figure it all out
Old 02-08-2011, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s25hanh
ohh i forgot to add it has a hardened sunshell. i have basically all the gears but it makes that noise in all of them. ill get a video up tonight to show yall exactly what im talking about.
Just a heads up, I sheared "the beast" sunshell in my "built" trans right in two pieces. So I wouldn't count that totally out.