Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I wait?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 06:35 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I wait?

I am getting ready for a mass install in the next few weeks. I am going to be installing lontube headers as part of the install. I was planning on hopefully doing a cam install after this summer. Should I wait till I put the cam in to get tuned? Not sure if its a waste getting tuned twice if I get minimal gains with headers.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:42 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if u can just get a tune from somebody with hptuners that would be good enough, thats what i did, helped fuel economy. personelly i didnt want to spend the change at a real dyno.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gyrene has a good idea or you could see what a retune will cost as it usually minimal... It won't hurt anything to run it untuned with headers only though. Upgrade the MAF, add a FAST etc... will need a tune to keep the AFR safe....
Old 02-14-2011, 10:55 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can run the car untuned with the longtubes if you want. It won't hurt anything, you will just have the SES light on until it gets tuned. A lot of vendors will offer discounts for repeat customers on tuning. We offer mail order tuning where you pay the initial $225 for the first tune and any changes or retunes after that for a year are free. Same thing with dyno tuning, $400 for initial dyno tune and then $125 for any retunes after that.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

U can pick up a mail order here for cheap, You should pick up 10-15 hp...If your planning on a cam as soon as the summer I would just wait for a dyno tune.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:44 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scoobysnacks
I am getting ready for a mass install in the next few weeks. I am going to be installing lontube headers as part of the install. I was planning on hopefully doing a cam install after this summer. Should I wait till I put the cam in to get tuned? Not sure if its a waste getting tuned twice if I get minimal gains with headers.
This is my opinion and I was in the same position. I basically had a lid only and a 12 bolt w/ 4.10 gears. My shop did the tune for free on the gearing bearing in mind that I would be back for a dyno tune.

In the spring I did Dynatech LT w/ their catted Y pipe, and then added Corsa exhaust. This had no other tuning and on a m6 driveline I made a good bit more power and cleaned up a bit on the file. The car was lean and pulling timing with just the bolt ons.

The cam cam about 6 months later and for 100$ more they dialed in the driveability and additional power.

IMO I think it is worth it. IMO unless you have all the parts in a box ready to go, I would tune for what you have and worry about down the road, later on.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:48 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. I am gonna pm you for info since you seem to have a close setup to me.

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
This is my opinion and I was in the same position. I basically had a lid only and a 12 bolt w/ 4.10 gears. My shop did the tune for free on the gearing bearing in mind that I would be back for a dyno tune.

In the spring I did Dynatech LT w/ their catted Y pipe, and then added Corsa exhaust. This had no other tuning and on a m6 driveline I made a good bit more power and cleaned up a bit on the file. The car was lean and pulling timing with just the bolt ons.

The cam cam about 6 months later and for 100$ more they dialed in the driveability and additional power.

IMO I think it is worth it. IMO unless you have all the parts in a box ready to go, I would tune for what you have and worry about down the road, later on.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:43 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scoobysnacks
Thanks for the info. I am gonna pm you for info since you seem to have a close setup to me.
You got a reply.