General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Mice in the vents

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 05:12 PM
Tire Smoking Tranny Blowing Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Mice in the vents

So started the transam today to be greeted with mice running around and there nest is in the air ducts and the fan unit. How do I get in there to remove it
Old 02-16-2011, 06:26 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My parents friends had a small baby squirrel jump into their car last week and then run up inside the dash. The dealership used some kind of smoke to try to flush him out but it didn't work. They had to take the dash apart.

Little bastard was still alive, they put it up in a tree. But MICE....damn, thats not gonna be easy. You could use a fogger and see what that does, but they if they don't come running out they will die. Then you better tear it apart fast to get them out or its gonna start to stink bad.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi,
I CONCUR WITH 427........OPEN DOORS AND DROP UNIT DOWN........I WOULD LAY A QUILT DOWN AND BLOCK ESCAPE ROUTE TO ENCOURAGE OUTSIDE EXIT........THEY SELL
AN ITEM( GREEN PEANUT) THEY EAT/ IT MAKES THEM SEEK WATER...... I WOULD REMOVE THE DASH PANEL. WEAR GLOVES/LONG SLEEVE SHIRT FOR THIS PROJECT. MAKE SURE YOU VACUUM ALL OF THE DEBRIS AND CHECK FOR WIRING
PROBLEMS/TEETH MARKS. GOOD LUCK............HAVE A BLESSED DAY...........JIM
Old 02-17-2011, 12:20 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Is the mouse still there? If so, I'd start with a friend's pet snake.

I would expect the cleanup will be straight forward. (Wear a dust mask so you don't get the plague.) Rodents defecate in the same place, so only one area of the duct system should be soiled. (We had a similar issue in a building I used to work in.)

Mice can get in very small openings. You may look to see if you have a floor drain or the spare tire drain plug missing. Even if you get rid of one mouse, more will keep coming to get out of the cold weather.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:32 PM
12 Second Club

sorry to hear that man I would be so angry. Just try leaving doors open and maybe leave a trail of cheese!?

As far as getting the nest out yeah I would take dash apart asap!
Old 02-17-2011, 03:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

How long did it sit for that to happen?
Old 02-17-2011, 04:44 PM
11 Second Club

thats exactly why i out moth ***** under the hood and some dryer sheets in the car when i store it for the winter. They both keep the mice away.

Look at #21
http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...www.google.com
Old 02-17-2011, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank God it doesn't get cold in Miami!
Old 02-17-2011, 08:18 PM
Teching In

throw a couple of moth ***** in there and it will make them leave then your going to have to pull the duct work and wash it with simple green to disenfect it , as mice urinate as they walk and all the ducts are gonna have a bar room bathroom effect to them and the feces is dangerous, as it contains some bad pathogens . wear latex or vinyl gloves , a dusk mask , and empty out the shop vac and wash the drum when done , the feces causes a bad respitory infection .. when your done keep dryer sheets in the car ( change them every month ) or put moth crystals in a pan and put it on the floor to keep them out .
Old 02-17-2011, 08:21 PM
TECH Regular

I would not use Poison's in this case.They could run back and die inside car,get trapped,etc and the smell would last 3-4 weeks and between dead mice/maggots will also soon follow....the ducts would be ruined and would probally always have a faint death smell with the ac on.You couldn't sit in the car for probally a month.Your best bet is to set old fashion snap traps.They can be bought at home depot/lowe's or maybe even wal-mart now of days.Cheese is a old myth and these guys will knock it off the trap and laugh without even setting it off.Use Peanut Butter or sometimes ill use fun size candy bars...Snickers,Milky Way,etc.Break them in half and slide it onto the tab they have to set off.That way they will have to work at it good to get it.Set trap off and lights out.Always wear new gloves when handling the traps.They can smell your human scent on them and won't go for them.Also if a trap goes off and doesn't catch one or you get one,always use a new trap.They will know that is a problem area if trap goes off and doesn't kill them & if you kill one it will have that scent all over it.I've been doing Pest Control for 6+ years and know what i'm talking about.GL
Old 02-17-2011, 10:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

^^^ This.. use the traps and peanut butter. I dealt with a rodent infested car once and luckily the shop had an unused paint booth that I could put the car in. It took a week to get them all. Didn't take anything apart, and the owners never came back or got sick from mouse ****.

Did find out from the owner that they fed their dogs in the garage...well the mice had a steady food source and a nice car to live in.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:56 PM
Launching!

Hi,
the above is true ......they make a glue board that works well!
I wish you the best. Have a blessed evening........jim
Old 02-18-2011, 07:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

put a cat in your car and let it live in there for a few days/weeks
Old 02-18-2011, 07:24 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jim ravencraft
Hi,
the above is true ......they make a glue board that works well!
I wish you the best. Have a blessed evening........jim
Glue traps are another option....but,If a mouse isnt on them good enough they can go through a tight area and pull fur/skin off to escape the glue board or chew through whatever is stuck to escape.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:42 PM
Tire Smoking Tranny Blowing Director

Ya I cleaned it out this weekend. Just have to air it out and should be good

Quick Reply: Mice in the vents