Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to mount the Abbott Cable X on GM A body

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 11:34 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to mount the Abbott Cable X on GM A body

I am finally getting around to installing my Cable X. The best place I've found is above the heater core box behind the glove box. It has plenty of space there but seems really difficult to get fasteners (screw or nuts and bolts) in that tight area. Ideas are welcome.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:07 PM
TECH Resident

I am doing Vintage Air so I have some extra room behind the dash. I need to figure out where to put mine too.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:33 PM
Staging Lane

I was playing around with the setup today. I mounted it on the heater box behind the glove box but the motor makes too much noise and my needle was jumpiing up and down during my tests. I this it was becuase the cable was binding too much.

I was told that another member had put it under the drivers fender with good result. He mentioned cutting the cable and making it as straight as possible. He also mentioned lubing the speedo too. This installion method seems to be more complex but it looks like that is the way I'm going to go. More ideas are welcome.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:27 PM
Staging Lane

I also considering taking the internals out of the case and mount the motor behind the actual speedometer. Anyone ever do this?
Old 02-28-2011, 06:30 PM
TECH Resident

A shame we just couldn't get a stock appearing electric speedometer for Chevelles. I like your idea about taking it apart.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

try replacing the cables with some new ones. most speedo/electic shops will custom make you one to your spec's.. and its not that costly. Might help on any dried out cable and kinked ones.

How about wrapping it in some sound installation ? or box it up if you can.

Not sure how big it is.. but.. how about on the wheel well but under the fender, i know i run wires under there... or up by the horn relay. ?
Old 02-28-2011, 10:37 PM
Staging Lane

The cable is brand new. I'm not sure if it comes lubed but I'm assuming it already has grease in there. The route I took had one wide bend in it.

I like the idea about insulating the motor. I can maybe wrap it in dynamat.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:56 PM
On The Tree

Mine is mounted to the heater box . Mine jumps at slow speeds and it also makes noise. I think it is the nature of the beast but I am not sure. I spent alot of money on it for it to work like it does. It is even the updated one. I have just been using my gps for long trips.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I really want a working speedo and odometer but every time I read about these things it sounds more and more like taking $275 and flushing it down the toilet.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:32 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had one of these on my old G-body Cutlass. I put at least 50K miles on it with no trouble. I did figure out that the cable has to be as straight as possible. I mounted it on the driver's side fenderwell. It worked great mounted in that location.

Quick Reply: Where to mount the Abbott Cable X on GM A body