Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yellow residue on bottom of oil cap. HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yellow residue on bottom of oil cap. HELP

hey guys had a post earlier about stock compression test, havent got any resposes yet but i may not get that far now, i went to take my oil filler cap off and YUK!! there was a yellowish residue on the bottom side, almost like the oil had air or something in it as it looked foamy. What is the cause of this.. a bad ring? This is not positive reinforcement toward my nitrous install, think i better wait.
Old 02-15-2004, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

was it milky? How does the oil look on the dip stick?
Old 02-15-2004, 06:13 PM
10 Second Club

Sounds like moisture build up in the oil. Possibly from a leaky head gasket..etc..
Have you been having to add water to your coolant reservoir lately?
Old 02-15-2004, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Country Boy
was it milky? How does the oil look on the dip stick?
Looks really good on the dipstick, not necessarily that MILKY but looked more foamy, kind of hard to explain more of like the oil had suds in it or something, I change my oil every 2500 and it never looks bad. only thing is that along with the "Suds" on the bottom it had some grit in it ike the oil was dirty but i just changed it. Never really noticed it on the cap before now but thats not to say it wasnt there. My oil pressure is good and never drops but somethings gotta be wrong somewhere. Thanks country boy
Old 02-15-2004, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by redbandit98
Looks really good on the dipstick, not necessarily that MILKY but looked more foamy, kind of hard to explain more of like the oil had suds in it or something, I change my oil every 2500 and it never looks bad. only thing is that along with the "Suds" on the bottom it had some grit in it ike the oil was dirty but i just changed it. Never really noticed it on the cap before now but thats not to say it wasnt there. My oil pressure is good and never drops but somethings gotta be wrong somewhere. Thanks country boy

Nope havent added any coolant/water since my water pump was replaced at the dealer where i bought the car. The radiator and resevoir is full. i bought it and on the way home it started showing low water,the pump was leaking and they replaced it. This was over a year ago though, i have put 20,000 miles on it since then, no water needed. Like they didnt know it was leaking to begin with ,Pissed me off that i had to take it right back to them. i guess ill just do the compression test. The car dont smoke burn oil or anything just has 7200 on the clock. dang this thing i really wanted a small shot oh well.
Old 02-15-2004, 07:03 PM
TECH Junkie

you may want to try a leakdown test on top of that compression test as well. It will help you to pinpoint any issues. I had some milky oil in my accordian hose and I thought it was a blown head gasket but turns out I had bad ringlands and piston tops.
Old 02-15-2004, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

More often than not it's just condensation build up on the oil cap. If you don't see it in the oil or the dipstick, don't worry about it.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaddySS
More often than not it's just condensation build up on the oil cap. If you don't see it in the oil or the dipstick, don't worry about it.
Thanks daddySS, i believe you are right. i cleaned all of the gunk off from under the cap then took it for a quick spin around the block. I was on it the whole time trying to see if the problem would arise again. i pulled it into my garage and took off the cap, no yellow but it was WET i mean 4 or 5 drops of water fell off the bottom, is this musch condenstion normal? i mean to me thats seems like an awful lot. i could shake water from the underside of the cap off. is this becasue of the way the filler neck is mounted to the valve cover? I hope that this IS a normal thing as im not ready to rebuild her yet.
thanks again sir
matt
Old 02-15-2004, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Matt,
If it was just a quick spin around the block, that wouldn't be enough time for the water to evaporate. Check it after a longer drive

-Alex
Old 02-15-2004, 09:47 PM
I can shift faster than you.

Originally Posted by DaddySS
He is exactly correct!
Old 02-16-2004, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry, i didnt elaborate it wasnt just a quick spin around the block i just spit that out there my apologies. I drove it around town for about 15 minutes,doing alot of hard accelerating. i just did my compression test and it went like this , all of the cylinders started out between 90-110 the first stroke up and after 3 revoluitions all landed right at 150 is this ok?
thanks for your replies
Old 02-16-2004, 01:16 AM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

I have the same thing once in a while. Freaked me out the first time, but now I just ignore it. Oil is fine and coolant looks good also. So I just clean the cap and be done with it. I really want to take the valve covers off just to see if any more of that crap is in there somewhere.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have the same problem. Don't bother pulling your valvecovers you won't see this residue under them, I pulled mine and it was clean and normal.
-Sly
Old 02-16-2004, 01:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dom
I have the same thing once in a while. Freaked me out the first time, but now I just ignore it. Oil is fine and coolant looks good also. So I just clean the cap and be done with it. I really want to take the valve covers off just to see if any more of that crap is in there somewhere.
thanks man, yeah that was my reaction .. i wanted to pull the valve cover and check it out then i got to looking at it and said what the hell put nitrous on it if the motor goes it needed replaced anyway!!
Old 02-16-2004, 01:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slyws6
I have the same problem. Don't bother pulling your valvecovers you won't see this residue under them, I pulled mine and it was clean and normal.
-Sly
thanks sly
Old 02-16-2004, 11:53 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I noticed the same thing when i changed my oil the other day. I attributed it to moisture condensing. When the engine is running it turns any residule moisture that condenses in the engine when its sitting from a liquid into a vapor. this water vapor along with the oil vapor would tend to condense in the filler neck because of the lower temperature in the filler neck, thus you will see oil made milky with water condensing in this region.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:43 PM
10 Second Club

Are you still running your factory type PCV system? You haven't modified anything like running filtered breathers on the valve covers or what not?
Yeah if you're not losing any coolant it can't be a head gasket.
Do you make a lot of short trips and turn the car off before it gets good and warm?
Old 02-16-2004, 09:13 PM
Staging Lane

Unhappy

Yes, it just moisture probably getting sucked up near the cap when the PCV system pulls it back into the intake manifold (see the hose running to the intake manifold on the passenger side directly behind the throttle body flange). I installed a catch can so it pulls the oil and condensation into a can instead of in the intake manifold.

-Corey
Old 02-16-2004, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes mainly i just drive it around town here, i try to not drive it far distances due to the mileage,(72000) as i would like to keep it below 100,000 till i can afford a stroker I ordered my tnt kit today i got the f1 wet kit along with the tr6's, high pressure pump,and fuel safety switch. i plan on runnning a 85 or 100 shot.I didnt want to go with the dry kit due to the fact i have a fipk and i didnt really want to drill hole in the front of the carbon fiber filter. Also i didnt want to pull the fuel tank but i knew if i put a nitrous kit on and didnt replace the pump with how many miles it has on it it would come back to haunt me probably. Any suggestions on pulling the tank? Since i have the car running now i will drive it tell its empty i know this will help GREATLY. AS far as the catch can goes i would like some info on it and price of systems available as i might look into this, I greatly appreicate everyones response. Ready for the juice, but i know ill have butterflies the first time i pull the trigger,theres always that spot in the back of your head thats thinking oh **** this could be it....then again it could be one hell of the start of an addiction!!
Old 02-16-2004, 11:03 PM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by redbandit98
Any suggestions on pulling the tank?
It's not as hard as you think, just time consuming. Takes about a few hours. I have a 96 so I don't have a detachable filler tube, I think you LS1 guys do. That means you don't have to bend it to get it out.

You basically have to put the axle on the floor and get the rear of the car as high as you can. So unhook everything from the axle except the TA and maybe the LCAs(don't remember its been a while). Remove the muffler and over the axle pipe. Then take the heat shields off. Now there are 2 straps holding the tank in place. Take those 2 bolts out. Now the tank will lower. Do it slowly, but don't worry, it's very light. Yours is even lighter then mine. Now peek your head to the top of it and unhook all the lines from the top. It's just simple plastic clips. I couldn't get enough of an angle on mine to remove it so I pushed it down enough to bend the filler tube to straighten it out. And that's it. The rest is straight forward. There is nothing hard about it, just takes a few hours. I did it on 2 different cars and never ran into any problems.

Quick Reply: Yellow residue on bottom of oil cap. HELP