Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ceramic Coatings and Turbos

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 10:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Ceramic Coatings and Turbos

I'm the first to admit I often learn as I go, gather opinions, do research and run with it...
But Im not completely sold on ceramic caotings for a high boost turbo set-up, or better said, not sure which parts can really make a difference.
Pistons... obviously are the most common. My concern was keeping too much heat in the chamber..raising charged air temps (this was addressed earlier with good answer).
but what about exhaust ports..necessary or adviseable on aluminum heads...if they flake would they damage the turbo...will the heat allow expansion of the ports allowing these to flake? any aqvisement in the LS1 world?
What about turbo manifolds...I uderstand the theory, but wont this pump hotter exhaust gasses into the turbo housing, which can in turn raise charged air temps? If its okay to do exhaust ports, then waht about the inside of the manifold along eith the outside?
And turbo housings...would that not just keep the oil in the turbos hotter? That cant be good either..
It must be a trade off... better performance, more reliability...but am I truely getting both...seems like heat is an enemy in the turbo motor more than anything. At his point I'll have enough power and I'm interested in the durability of the set-up.
N2O...I'd coat it all.

Last edited by Jammer; 02-17-2004 at 12:09 AM.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With proper cooling, your turbo will be fine, and work better with hotter exhaust gases driving it. As for the coating coming off the exhuast walls, well of course that would suck for the turbo to take in. That's something to discuss with the coating manufacturer.
Old 02-17-2004, 05:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keeping the heat in on the exhaust side will keep the exhaust velocities up, which is good since the turbo will spool faster. Of course, you'll be running twins, so that should help somewhat too. If you have a good intercooler, that extra heat in the turbo shouldn't hurt you that much if at all. The differences would be minimal.

I was told not to coat my Turbo Tech manifold since the extra heat has been known to make the manifold crack, and welding with the coating on it is tough. That is something to keep in mind too, unless you are going to use something like Inconel to make the manifolds with.

Just my .05
Old 02-17-2004, 11:22 AM
PSJ Wannabe & Attention Whore

Jason,

With a ceramic coated hot side, you would have slightly higher egt temps, but the thermal tranfer to the compressor side would be negatated by the coating itself insulating the center section.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:38 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I extensively coated my Turbo at Polydyn. I took the turbo apart and coated the inlet side completely. I then thermal coated the hotside inside and out. I coated anyhting basically yhat could be coated. I am a big believer in coatings. Polydyn in Houston is the top of the heap as far as I am concerned.
Old 02-17-2004, 02:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

I had my JE pistons coated by Calico Coatings with the cerama coat tops and teflon coating on the skirts. Price was very reasonable. Around $22/piston I think. I plan to run 25-30psi boost and wanted the extra barrier the coatings provide (700hp+). You want the heat in the chambers.... when the piston tops get too hot from heat soaking that is what will help lead them to failure if you detonate at that time. The skirt coating helps to reduce friction if the pistons ever expand too much from high coolant temps and could get in contact with the bore etc and also normal operation it helps.

I overheated my previous motor (fans stopped working and I went one more exit too far) with JE's and the aluminum transferred to the cylinder walls when the pistons expanded too much. I believe with the coatings this may have been avoided. I now plan to run larger radiator and larger Efan as well. This was in a GN powered RX-7.

The idea on a turbo motor is to keep the exhaust gasses hot and velocities up. Helps to spool the turbo and keep underhood temps down. Keep the heat in the headers.... not heat soak the rest of the engine bay.

-GNX7 Mark
Old 02-17-2004, 10:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great input from everyone. Thanks. Looking basically at two things now... I have 304 stainless logs that were made by CAS origionally...they have been known to crack as it is...so Im concerned about coating them. As far as piston tops... I'm swinging back to think it may be a no brainer....The turbos...gotta work that one out mre in my head...otherstuff would be nice...but dammit gotta stop somewhere.
Thanks again to all.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:36 AM
PSJ Wannabe & Attention Whore

Jason,
As long as the turbo is braced correctly and the egts do not go above 1500 , 304 will be fine.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:04 PM
Banned

Theres a local shop that does ceramic and friction coatings in my town...they have a pistons and side skirt coating...

Should i be concerned on what coating or product they use ? any certains ones i want more than others...

Quick Reply: Ceramic Coatings and Turbos