Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck Wiring Harness Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 08:13 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exclamation Truck Wiring Harness Question

I am installing a 5.3 in a 68 Suburban. I am working in the harness, removing all the wires not needed, but I last night I found out that some of the wires that are needed were cut, when I remove all the electric tape thats when I notice it. My question is, can I fix the wires by soldering them, or am I better off trying to get another harness, and if this is the case, the engine came from a 2000 silverado, do I need to get a wiring harness from that same year, or can I use any truck wiring harness.

Thanks for your help
Old 03-18-2011, 09:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can really just solder the wires. I wouldn't even think about getting a new harness unless there are a lot of wires cut and you don't know which ones are which... for example, there are two green wires cut and you don't know which ones go together.

Take your time stripping the wires, twisting them together, and do a good job soldering. If you need to, practice a few times on some old wires until you feel comfortable.

Also, go out and get yourself some adhesive-lined heat shrink tubing. I usually get mine at Fastenall, but other places sell it too. The adhesive lined stuff has glue inside that melts and seals the connection when the tubing shrinks. If you don't have a heat gun, you could probably use a hair dryer to heat it up. Don't forget to put the tubing on BEFORE you make the connection!
Old 03-18-2011, 09:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can use some of those wires you removed to repair or replace the damaged wires.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Get a diagram of the wiring, and you can trace each 1 to a pin in the pcm connector[s], look at the pinout list, and you will be able to ID every wire in the harness.

I use the info at www.alldatadiy.com. A cheap way to get most all the info you need about the entire donor vehicle...
Old 03-26-2011, 09:06 AM
Staging Lane

thanks guys, I am going to solder the broken wires. I have another question, last night I was almost done removing all the unnecessary wires when I notice that three wires are cut, as I found out those threee wires are for the Crankshaft position sensor, can I get the plug from the dealer or do I need to find it at the salvage yard.

Thanks
Old 03-26-2011, 09:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

You can probably buy the connector/pigtail cheaper online.
Here's one site.
http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonn...ngineType.aspx
Old 04-05-2011, 07:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

or go to the junkyard and cut one off, alot of the older gm vehicles have the same plug ends you can grab one from another gm around 99-00-01-02 i just did the same harness but about 15 wires were broken in my harness but it was very easy for me cuz of mitchell on demand lol
Old 04-06-2011, 09:23 AM
Staging Lane

thanks bonehead79, I actually got the pigtail from the site that Garys 68 posted, it was like 12 bucks and 1 buck for shipping, something like that. I already solder all the wires, not bad for a first timer, I am actually thinking on going back and solder the wires on my previous swap, I used butt connectors, but I might just go back and redo the wires, will look cleaner.

Thanks
Old 04-06-2011, 02:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Buttcrimps are not a permanent fix

You should go back and solder them

Quick Reply: Truck Wiring Harness Question