Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

alpine type r speaker issue in fbody?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 01:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default alpine type r speaker issue in fbody?

does anyone have alpine type r speakers in their fbody? if so were there clearance issues? I was at this place and the seller said they will have clearance issues but I've never heard of that problem with any speakers. he was trying to upsell so I'm thinking he was saying that to get me to buy something more expensive to help his commission...
Old 03-21-2011, 08:47 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are no clearance issue with those. Never has been. You will have to wire them up differently though because you have a Camaro.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:53 PM
TECH Addict

i had them in my sail panels..they sounded good... then i switched out.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:38 PM
Teching In

thanks for the replies. how different do i need to wire them?
Old 03-22-2011, 07:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

read FAQ/sticky
Old 03-23-2011, 04:51 PM
Teching In

I CURRENTLY run these all the way around. I had to run brand new wires from the back of the stereo to each speaker. the stock system has a built in amp and the stock sytem runs on 2ohm when these alpines are 4ohm. so you'll have to make sure you do that or your speakers will sound like ****.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98mystic_maro
I CURRENTLY run these all the way around. I had to run brand new wires from the back of the stereo to each speaker. the stock system has a built in amp and the stock sytem runs on 2ohm when these alpines are 4ohm. so you'll have to make sure you do that or your speakers will sound like ****.

Bypass the amp? Why? Installing newer speakers with 4ohm impedance will simply decrease the power sent to them due to increased impedance (resistance). Assuming the speakers have a higher sensitivity by at least 3dB, they will sound the same. Either way, they wont sound like **** and do not bypass the amp, that is bogus. Good luck
Old 03-25-2011, 09:46 AM
Teching In

I don't have the monsoon system I haven't heard of a non-monsoon system with amps.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:35 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You do NOT have to bypass anything to make these work. Bypassing the stronger Monsoon amp would not be advised. Especially when the average radio puts out about 15-20watts RMS power and the Monsoon would be around 40watts RMS...double.
What I meant by wiring them differently is that you have to turn them over. You will see a small thin pair of wires running out of the pos and neg leads going to the back of the speaker and into the hole in the magnet. Those are the tweeter wires. The Camaro has a coaxial looking speaker that has seperate wires running to the tweeter and midbass portion like a component set. So in order to wire these up correctly you have to cut the tweeter wires on the back of the new speaker and attach them to the tweeter wires from the old speaker. Basically cut the connector off the back of the old speaker and attach it to the new. Cutting the tweeter wires on that back of the speaker will give you your seperate tweeter provision to use. If you try and combine them they will sound like absolute crap as they are biamped essentially and you can't combine channels like that. That may have been Mystic Camaro's issue.