Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

lessons soon to be learned

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 05:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default lessons soon to be learned

so about a month ago i had posted a lil about a stuck tire....well i was honestly havin some beers with a pal when i put them on and i f**ked up pretty good i guess now that i am back to workin on the car....on the drivers side i have a rim that for the life of me havent been able to smack off yet....and to make matters worse i had put an adapter on the pass side to see how it would look with the rears pushed out an inch and that is stuck on the hub there...so first no more drinkin while i toy with my car and second i now get to try to figure out how the hell i'm gonna get these off the rear.....does this site give out dumb *** awards
Old 03-24-2011, 09:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if the lug nuts are off and the wheel is 'stuck' to the hub, i do 1 of 3 things. one, lay on the ground behind the wheel in question and kick the backside of it outward. sounds silly but you can put some force on it this way.

2, hit the backside of the TIRE, with a big deadblow hammer, a couple of smacks will do it.

3, easiest if car is on ground or on jackstand or something.

stand in front of the wheel, facing AWAY from the wheel, kick the edge of the wheel/tire with your heel/flat of foot. you cant kick it AS HARD from this angle as say from behind it, but this usually gets the wheel off.

i do roadside assistance work, and work as a tech in a shop. these are what i do daily.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:33 PM
11 Second Club

as far as the adapter that is stuck, spary some pb blaster on it, and go get a heat gun or wifes hair dryer or something and heat that ****** up, perhaps a small propane torch. as it heats up smack it gently with a large metal hammer. this will eventually break its corrosion/rust adhesion.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:41 PM
TECH Regular

ive tried all those methods believe it or not.....even ratchet straped a 2x4 to the backside a nailed it over and over with a 5ib hammer...besides almost breaking the board it did nothing.......the adapter i'm gonna try bolting the tire back up but leaving the adapter un bolted...i'm pretty confident that will break free because its aluminum instead of steal.....the prob is that its a damn 96 with the slightly bigger hubs i guess ant the wheel is a z06 replica and i guess just the slight not even mm diference screwed me and i was to messed up or whatever and forced it on somehow...one more reason i guess for a better rear end
Old 03-24-2011, 09:43 PM
TECH Regular

its not rust thats the prob its like putiin a 13mm bolt into a 1/2 inch hole close in size but just a **** hair off
Old 03-24-2011, 09:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Had that happen to me also, couldn't get it off for the life of me so ended up driving it down the street with two lugs loose untill it popped off, then replaced the studs to be safe
Old 03-24-2011, 09:52 PM
TECH Regular

i might have to try that....or at least after everything is put back together and the pile of parts i have now are all instaled.....maybe it will be a good time to try the line lock kit im putting in out(joke)
Old 03-24-2011, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

****,,, Maybe,, Just maybe,,,, with the car on the ground, completly loaded ,,take a long board or pole or something and measure from the passanger side garage wall to the inner inside of the stuck drivers rim,,,, Cut and place on the floor up against that wall (maybe have a buddy hold it on the insideof the drivers rim,,,Start car and turn the tire into the board Now your using hydrolic pressure to loosen it or push it off. Who knows,,, it may just slid the car over But its worth a try and leave the lugs on too loose so the rim doesnt completely pop off and **** your ride up LOL
Old 03-24-2011, 10:20 PM
TECH Regular

It will be worth a try....but by the time this car is put together again maybe I'll have my new rear and than I can just wheel the old one out and have them torched out or something....I wish I don't pull my engine bay apart for paint and pull the brake system apart b4 I realized this happened
Old 03-24-2011, 10:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you can roll it in and out of the garage. Roll it out jack up the one side, pull a pickup up to the wheel and ratchet strap it to the trucks tow hooks and put a little pressure on it, then hammer on it from the back. The tow straps might even get it loose without hammering on it. Tough part will be getting it back in the garage if you dont have a wheel that fits right.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe this will help-

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2684546

Sorry I can't be of more help but the first guys already mentioned every trick I could think of, just make sure the cars on the jack stand good.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:30 PM
TECH Regular

Well finally got the one wheel off....had to rig up a balancer puller and some 2x4s to put some tension on the wheel and than beat it off from the back
Old 03-29-2011, 05:39 PM
11 Second Club

so you beat it off eh?
Old 03-29-2011, 06:02 PM
TECH Regular

I had to ratchetstrap 2 2x4s to the outside of the wheel with a balancer removal tool in-between them centered on the axle....after tightening it till the wood started creeking ...I went to the back of the wheel and beat on another 2x4 till the wheel finally gave and popped off.....a lil time with a dremel and I ground down the hub till my wheel adapter was able tl slide on and off
Old 03-31-2011, 11:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by I_Need_Land
so you beat it off eh?
Old 03-31-2011, 12:07 PM
12 Second Club

Sweet jesus.