General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

grrr this squeal is pissng me off!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 08:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default grrr this squeal is pissng me off!

ok, so when I first got my t/a it had a small belt squeak when it first started up, but went away after a few seconds. well I figured simple enough, I'll replace the belt. so I did, and it got worse. long story short, the more I have replaced, the worse it has gottena nd it is driving me insane trying to stop it! here is a list of everything I have replaced so far, now it squeaks for a good 15 minutes of driving before fading out:

belts (main and a.c.)
main tensioner pulley
idler pulley
a/c tensioner pulley
a/c idler pulley
alternator
removed water pump pulley sanded and painted with flat black paint for extra grip

I have tried all the tricks, wd-40 on the belt, water, holding sandpaper on the belt while running, "belt dresing" nothing will make this **** stop squealing and I am embarassed to drive my car sounding like this. I have looked for any signs of anything leaking on the belt and see nothing. anyone have any suggestions?
Old 03-29-2011, 10:53 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Have you at least taken the a/c belt off and ran the engine to rule out the a/c stuff causing the squeak? If not, do that first. If the squeak is gone then you know its the a/c stuff. If its still there, you know its the serpentine components.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 218 Likes on 178 Posts

but not the tensioner itself? i replaced mine with a dayco unit........before i changed it it would rock back and forth like a drunk monkey.......now its rock steady
Old 03-30-2011, 01:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dayco ftw
Old 03-30-2011, 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by badhombre
ok, so when I first got my t/a it had a small belt squeak when it first started up, but went away after a few seconds. well I figured simple enough, I'll replace the belt. so I did, and it got worse. long story short, the more I have replaced, the worse it has gottena nd it is driving me insane trying to stop it! here is a list of everything I have replaced so far, now it squeaks for a good 15 minutes of driving before fading out:

belts (main and a.c.)
main tensioner pulley
idler pulley
a/c tensioner pulley
a/c idler pulley
alternator
removed water pump pulley sanded and painted with flat black paint for extra grip

I have tried all the tricks, wd-40 on the belt, water, holding sandpaper on the belt while running, "belt dresing" nothing will make this **** stop squealing and I am embarassed to drive my car sounding like this. I have looked for any signs of anything leaking on the belt and see nothing. anyone have any suggestions?
Have you tried pulling all the bearings out and repacking them with grease? I can almost garenttee you that they're ALL damn near dry.
Pull them out, pop the 'seal' off, use brake cleaner in there to get all that cheap **** out, then carefully PACK that bearing with grease (if you have a bearing packer, even better), try to avoid getting grease in the pully, only in the actual bearing.

Do this to all your 'tensioning' pullies,
on the alternator bracket, by the water pump, then both of the AC tension pulleys, one of the AC pullies needs a large torx head to get off, everything else comes off with a 15mm hex.
if you have torque wrench, tighten to 35ft/lbs or 50 n/m, if not thats a 'snug' fit.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:26 PM
TECH Regular

well by replacing all those pulleys, that included new bearings on each. also I ran the car without the a/c belt for a few days. it still squealed, I was just hot ontop of it. as for the tensioner, witht he engine running, I pu a ratchet on the tensioner bolt and pulled more tension on it while revving the engine to where it makes noise. made no difference. I can spray water or wd40 on the main belt and it immediately quits. but after about a minute it comes back, and usually louder than before. the last couple of days it hasn't done it as bad. only lightly for the first couple of minutes after a cold crank. now hot starts are fine. before it didn't matter. not sure what changed, didn't really do anything with it that should have affected it
Old 04-02-2011, 12:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

how many miles on the motor?don't use wd 40.get some belt dressing and use it alot.you pulleys are worn,wider gaps between the groves..get a new crank pulley or use alot of belt dressing.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think there is a TSB about 2000 and earlier LS1's that require an updated altenator bracket to eliminate the squeak.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:22 PM
TECH Regular

well good news, I got the squealing mystery solved, but it cost me. apparently my water pump was going bad and had ben leaking water directly onto the crank pulley. I found this out when the water pump totally gave out and overheated the car. new water pump, and now it's all good. problem is the water made both belts slip enough that they have been polished off so they still squeak a little on a cold start. but I think replacing the belts again will solve it. it is nothing like it was though
Old 04-16-2011, 07:21 PM
Launching!

Hi,
i'm glad you found your problem and resolved the issue. Have a blessed week and stay safe........captain jim
Old 08-15-2011, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Glad you got it figured out. I'm having the same problem with squeals. Replaced every pulley and the belt twice, ran belts skipping the a/c compressor then the water pump to rule out one or the other and it still squealed. Replaced the tensioner pulley again and it still squealed, so I put the old one back on and blasted it with lube for the 1000th time and it got quiet for about 5 minutes. Packed the bearings with grease and the squeal came back. More lube, quiet for 5 more minutes. I don't get it. Maybe I need to try a new brand of belt; I'm not sure what else to do at this point.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the same boat, I am almost 100% certain it is the water pump squealing its coming demise. After 112,000 miles I can't really complain.....
Old 08-17-2011, 05:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm going through the same thing. I was talking to a guy about it and he said water pump too. It just never ends

Quick Reply: grrr this squeal is pissng me off!