Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tick M/C install question and problem. ***Update 4/10***

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 04:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tick M/C install question and problem. ***Update 4/10***

After about 3 hours of sore back, scraped knuckles, and a lot of cussing I got my Tick M/C installed today. I bench bled it before I put it in, and some more after I installed it, but am still having issues. First, am I suppose to re-install the spring on the clutch pedal that gets removed for adjustment? There is no mention of it either way. The other problem I'm having is the pedal will go to the floor if I rest my foot on it. Does that mean there is still air in the system?

Video in post 13.

Last edited by Blwn_by_Twins; 04-10-2011 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Update
Old 03-30-2011, 05:43 PM
On The Tree

1: Leave the spring off..

2: Yes, if it is going to the floor it must have air inside or a leak. Are you loosing fluid

Did you bleed the system with a mityvac?
Old 03-30-2011, 05:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I just bled mine like brakes and left the spring off. No problems. Must be air in it.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:15 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sargeant Sh!tbag
1: Leave the spring off..

2: Yes, if it is going to the floor it must have air inside or a leak. Are you loosing fluid

Did you bleed the system with a mityvac?
Thanks. No, didn't use a Mityvac, don't have one. I'm not loosing fluid so I'm about 99% sure there is no leak. Guess it's just air. Will a MityVac clear the air even from the slave? If so I might buy one. Don't use the bleeder that way, right? Just pull a small vac on the system from the top and watch for bubbles?
Old 03-30-2011, 07:16 PM
TECH Addict

tick recommends not using the mityvac
Old 03-30-2011, 07:23 PM
Launching!

Just spent 6.5 hours installing one on my brothers 68 camaro. I did not bench bleed nor did I mityvac it either. All I did was filled the res up, cracked the bleeder and let it gravity bleed for about 5-10 mins until the fluid stoped droping in the res. Then I started pumping it and bleeding it like the brakes. I put 1/2 bottle of motul thru it. Works great, but not I have to redesign the pedal hook up.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
tick recommends not using the mityvac
This is not so easy a caveman can do it. You don't want to go over 7-9 HG of vacuum or you'll run the risk of pulling seals. Stick to that and you will be fine.

No, you dont use the bleeder with the mityvac or you wouldnt be able to pull a vacuum.

You can continue to bleed the system conventionally if you dont want to risk it.. The air will eventually come out.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:51 PM
Launching!

did it have a dead pedal before you swapped it?.......cause maybe your slave cylinder went out....thats what happened to me
Old 03-31-2011, 07:43 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sargeant Sh!tbag
This is not so easy a caveman can do it. You don't want to go over 7-9 HG of vacuum or you'll run the risk of pulling seals. Stick to that and you will be fine.

No, you dont use the bleeder with the mityvac or you wouldnt be able to pull a vacuum.

You can continue to bleed the system conventionally if you dont want to risk it.. The air will eventually come out.
Didn't get out of class early enough to get by the store to pick up a Mity Vac today, but will get it tomorrow and try that I guess. I assume it will get the air out of the slave too then? I know there is no air in the M/C itself. When I bench bled it, it was stiff as a board.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:57 PM
12 Second Club

Okay....I'm really at my wits end with this. I bought a Mityvac and was able to get a lot more air out. I am still having the problem with the pedal dropping with my foot just testing on the pedal. I drive it for a bit and the pedal would drop all the way to the floor but the car would still accelerate just like it wasn't on the clutch at all. No leaks, and not loosing fluid at all. I'm lost...

edit....I bled until I got no more bubbles. It took about 10 mins, but there is no more air coming out with the MV.

Last edited by Blwn_by_Twins; 04-01-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:51 AM
On The Tree

This is an odd one..

So how to you get pedal pressure back?

Can you still depress the pedal and use the clutch as normal it is just very low?

I suppose it is possible that the MC is somehow defective and is letting fluid around the ram inside the MC housing.

Joey,
Have you guys ever heard of anything like this going on??
Old 04-02-2011, 11:21 AM
12 Second Club

If I don't rest my foot on the pedal it doesn't drop, and will operate as normal. And if it does drop I just take my foot off the pedal and it will slowly come back up. I can drive the car by only touching the shifter if I need to shift. I even bled some more the traditional way too just to make sure and still doing it.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:35 PM
12 Second Club

Okay, so I got a video of the problem. Please no chicken legs jokes. lol It's on my cell so it's kinda shitty quality, but it gets the point across.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2xbRfgsLJc
Old 04-02-2011, 10:42 PM
12 Second Club

Came across another little bit of info that might help diagnose the problem. A buddy of mine came over to check out what was going on and noticed that when ever the pedal goes to the floor that dirty fluid would flow up into the reservoir. I sucked out the dirty fluid and let the pedal seep down again and got more black fluid out. Repeated this several times until I ran out of brake fluid. I'm going to go to the store tomorrow and get more fluid and see if I can get anymore black fluid out. It feels a little firmer, but can't tell if its actually getting better or if my leg was just getting tired. I would just think if it was the fluid causing the problem, it would have been there before the m/c install, and especially before I flushed the old fluid out of the factory m/c that was black when I bought the car.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:07 AM
On The Tree

My hypothesis is that the MC is defective and it is allowing fluid to bypass the piston that pushes the fluid into the slave.. Here is why..

I have ruled out the slave in that if it were allowing the pedal pressure to be lost due to being bad all of the sudden (unlikely) it would be leaking fluid and fast at that rate.

I have ruled out air in that you have bled this thing to death and when my system wasn't bled completely it did not act like this.

I have ruled out a fluid failure as you have gone through quite a bit of new fluid and did not have issues prior to the install.

If my educated guess is the problem you will be able to check this.

WEAR SAFETY GLASSES!

1: Leave the car off.

2: Use your hand and allow the clutch pedal to slowly drift to the floor as if you were resting your foot on it. Just use your hand.. Do not depress the pedal quickly enough to disengage the clutch. Do it just as you show in clip.

3: While pedal is on floor grab the back of the pedal and pull it towards you quickly. Repeat this several times.

If you get resistance (hard to pull quickly back to normal uncompressed position) or fluid coming out of or filling up the dust boot over the adjustable rod coming out of MC against firewall you have a leaking piston inside the unit and it is defective.

Let me know what you find.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:18 AM
12 Second Club

I had actually already tried that. The pedal comes back up w/ no resistance and no leaks. I really appreciate you taking your time to help me Sarg. I pm'd Joey and directed him to this thread. Hopefully he'll be able to shed some light on wth is going on.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:32 PM
On The Tree

Damn... I hope Joey can shed some light on this. You cannot be the only guy who this has happened to.

Im still thinking it is something with the MC. I guess it is simple to remove the quick connect from the slave and see if it still does the same thing with light pressure. I wouldnt depress the pedal hard as the fluid will have nowhere to go. If it still slowly goes to the floor then there is nothing left if it isnt leaking. FACT
Old 04-03-2011, 08:07 PM
12 Second Club

You know I didn't even think to try that. I bled a full 12oz bottle of brand new fluid through it today to rule out the fluid being bad, and got 0 bubbles. I'll try disconnecting the QC tomorrow and see if I get any fade. If not I guess the trans will come down later this week to replace the slave.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:26 PM
12 Second Club

Bump for Joey or Jonathan.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I would just call Tick.

Quick Reply: Tick M/C install question and problem. ***Update 4/10***