Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

UMI Short Stick Review and Pics.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default UMI Short Stick Review and Pics.

I had been contemplating getting a short stick for awhile but never really felt the need for it. I am very happy with my Pro 5.0 and kind of felt like short sticks were unnecessary with an aftermarket shifter. Well I finally saved up enough money(kidding of course) and bought the UMI short stick. I am kind of embarassed to admit that I didn't really buy it for the shorter shifts. I bought it for two reasons; with the Hurst shift **** the 5.0's bronze handle shows a lot(see pictures below). At first it really annoyed me but I've gotten used to it. Second reason is probably one that many of you can relate to; I haven't bought anything for my car in quite some time and a short stick was a cheap way to get my fix.

Initial review:

After a quick drive to the bank and back I'm honestly not too impressed. Now that's not saying anything bad about the product, a short stick is pretty much a short stick, I think I just expected a little shorter shifts(I know you can cut the threads). I don't regret buying it at all though, it does give me a nicer feel and until I take it to the track I can't say for sure if I like it more then the stock 5.0 handle or not. But it did do the two things I bought it for; made my shifter look nicer and subsided my parts appetite for a little while.

I ordered it directly from UMI. I couldn't be happier with their service. The part was shipped out fast and I recieved it within 5 days. I don't know if they do this with every order but I put in the notes that I would like a tracking number and it was emailed to me once my order was shipped.

5.0 Handle:

Length difference:

The main reason why I bought the UMI short stick; the angle cut into the handle. You can see that the 5.0 has the same angle.

UMI handle. Some threads still show but it's a lot less noticeable and the color is more bearable.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HOLY ****! I didn't even know you could get crank windows in these cars! lol

Congrats on the new mod. Have fun.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blwn_by_Twins
HOLY ****! I didn't even know you could get crank windows in these cars! lol

Congrats on the new mod. Have fun.
Hell yeah! You ever change a window regulator in an F-Body? Screw that haha.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks good Marc!
Old 04-09-2011, 02:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am trying to decide if I am going to go ahead and order the pro 5.0 when I order my clutch or wait...decisions decisions.

FWIW my bro loves his pro 5.0 and short stick.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My camaro have crank window ^^
Old 04-10-2011, 02:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the UMI short stick for my Hurst Billet Plus. It comes with a Semi Truck sized stick, so it was actually a very welcome change. I was please, although I had to buy some nuts from the hardware store to get it to work with the billet shifter.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

I like this thread. I was debating between the UMI, WS6Store and Lou's short sticks. It's been a while since I installed my Pro 5.0 shifter and totally forgot about it having the angle. Now I'm not worried about how the UMI is angled, it will be the same just shorter which is what I want.

Now I just need to find me a cool **** to put on there. I heard the stock **** doesn't quite thread into the UMI as the Pro 5.0. I heard it can be installed by "muscling it" in there but if I change my ****, I don't want to screw up the threads on the UMI stick.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Darth Cypher
Now I just need to find me a cool **** to put on there. I heard the stock **** doesn't quite thread into the UMI as the Pro 5.0. I heard it can be installed by "muscling it" in there but if I change my ****, I don't want to screw up the threads on the UMI stick.
I never heard that about the stock **** and UMI short stick.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...ort-stick.html

Only one I found in my search for this set up. It's a pretty old thread though so I don't know if this issue was fixed.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:05 PM
TECH Regular

Hmmm... Why not just cut down the Pro-5.0 stock stick to the same length as the short-stick...

That is what I did... Cost me just a little time... They have plenty of threads and it necks down below the threads which is perfect...
Old 07-08-2011, 07:26 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

Our short stick will fit fine with the stock ****. That short stick could have a set of tight threads, maybe threaded with a dull insert. But anyways we check them all right off the machine now and you shouldn't have any issues!

I hope that helps,
Ryan
Old 07-08-2011, 10:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 95 TA - The Beast
Hmmm... Why not just cut down the Pro-5.0 stock stick to the same length as the short-stick...

That is what I did... Cost me just a little time... They have plenty of threads and it necks down below the threads which is perfect...
I have thought about it. Not a bad idea, just don't want to risk screwing up the stick.

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Hello,

Our short stick will fit fine with the stock ****. That short stick could have a set of tight threads, maybe threaded with a dull insert. But anyways we check them all right off the machine now and you shouldn't have any issues!

I hope that helps,
Ryan
Thanks. I figured it was a non-issue by now.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can but look where the threads start and end on each stick. The UMI can go much shorter.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Grifter
You can but look where the threads start and end on each stick. The UMI can go much shorter.
Sure, if you want to cut down the UMI for a REALLY short stick then that is the way to go...

Just saying that you can get the stock stick as short as the UMI comes by just cutting it down...
Old 07-10-2011, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sure, if you want to cut down the UMI for a REALLY short stick then that is the way to go...

Just saying that you can get the stock stick as short as the UMI comes by just cutting it down...
I agree just showing that it can much lower if you wanted it.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:30 PM
On The Tree

any of you guys wanna buy a white ball hurst shift **** with logos??

Quick Reply: UMI Short Stick Review and Pics.