Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

swap runs! Odd problem now.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 05:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default swap runs! Odd problem now.

Well, finally got the LS swap running. I'm using a Speartech harness. 01 LS1 and harness.

For some reason the engine is only firing on cylinders 1, 7, 6, 4. But not a thing on 2, 3, 5, 8. It's like it's skipping every other cylinder in the firing order?? I'm baffled. Hoping it's something simple, but I can't seem to think for a second what'd cause that.

Ideas?
Old 04-15-2011, 10:04 AM
On The Tree

Is it throwing any codes? Are you getting power to your injector connectors?
Old 04-15-2011, 11:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Call speartech
Old 04-15-2011, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mille_3
Is it throwing any codes? Are you getting power to your injector connectors?
I'd think so, it's got power to fire 2 cylinders per side?
Old 04-15-2011, 02:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you sure your coil harness is plugged in the correct order? a friend had his backwards and it was driving him nuts
Old 04-16-2011, 12:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The way the harness is, everything will only plug into where it should. In order to plug something in wrong, you'd have to have the harness literally on backwards. What are the odds of this being caused by a cam or crank sensor only being plugged in partly? They're a real nightmare to get to with as close as the motor is to the firewall. Fairly certain they got plugged in all the way, but they're the only ones I can't readily see with my eyes.

I talked with speartech today and he assured me the harness was working correctly on his setup before it got shipped out, which I'd have to believe. So, I'm hoping it's something simple. Posted this to see if anyone else had encountered anything similar so I'd have a starting point in where to start looking.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:22 AM
On The Tree

I would start by making sure everything is actually plugged in, check for pinched wires, make sure your main plugs at the PCM are plugged in all the way and torqued down properly. Verify that you actually have 12V+ at your individual injector plugs.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ya, were headed out to the shop tonight after I get off of work. I'm going to go through and double check all the connections. Unfortunately I can't start it that late at night behind the psychotic welfare lady who lives on the same lot that my shop is on, is off her meds and already verbally assaulted me the other morning after it started for 10 seconds. I almost felt like threatening her with not paying my taxes anymore so then she'd have to find someone else to pay for her 5 illegitimate children.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, figured it out. The PCM must have some bad drivers in it. Checked continuity in the Speartech harness and all was well, but no spark on 4 cylinders. Grabbed a pcm from a 01 WS6, uploaded my tune to it and it fired up today hitting on all 8 no problem.

ODD, considering the pcm and LS1 was working awesome before we yanked it for my car. I send the pcm and harness to Speartech, PCM is junk after hooking it up in my car after we get it back. Not impressed, but whatever. I'm just glad to have it all sorted it out and ready for driving and terrorizing the big block's again.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats man, im waiting on my PSI harness at the moment and then its just odds and ends and Ill be firing it up. Once again congrats and post how she runs!
Old 04-22-2011, 01:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks man. Going to bolt the front clip back on middle of next week and put insurance back on it and take it for a spin.

Quick Reply: swap runs! Odd problem now.