Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ORY for stock manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ORY for stock manifolds

Im looking to replace my stock y pipe for a better flowing one. I saw SLP makes one, but it goes after the catalytic converter. I there a brand that carries a unit that will bolt up to the stock manis and delete the cats? Or do I have to purchase piping to delete the cats then an ORY.

Any brands to avoid or that are preferred? Im definitely looking for stainless steel.

Also im running LM1 resonator right now. I know once I go catless its gonna really drone and rasp, is LM2 resonator a direct replacement? Or is there any other muffler or resonator that will be a direct fit and stop rasp and drone after going catless?

Any ideas, tips, help will be appreciated. Im not going longtube, so dont even recommend it.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I highly doubt someone makes what you are after. Probably need to buy
some stainless bends and find yourself a good tig welder once you get
everything tacked together. You can use the flanges from your current
Y-pipe as the starting point, also Flowmaster makes a nice 2.5" two into
one 3" or 3.5" merge.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:50 PM
12 Second Club

You can buy catless down pipes that will bolt up to stock manifolds. My car has some made by bassani that I bolted to the stock y and catback. I bought mine used off here for a good price.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ Notice any nice gains from it??
Old 04-25-2011, 06:38 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TImmy_Jones
^^^ Notice any nice gains from it??
I did for sure in the raw fuel smell To be honest when I had that done I also had a bunch of other stuff done as well so it's hard to say if I would have gained much with just the catless downpipes and no other mods. It's much loader now with the cutout open and has a nice tone through the stock muffler.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Josh Nickelsen
You can buy catless down pipes that will bolt up to stock manifolds. My car has some made by bassani that I bolted to the stock y and catback. I bought mine used off here for a good price.
Are you still running the stock y pipe?

Im on bassani's site now, I wish they had pics for their parts because the info given isnt very informative. Ill have to give them a call.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:11 PM
12 Second Club

I bet all you're going to get out of this is smelly exhaust and 5 hp. Spending the money to delete the cats and still run stock manifolds is teh fail. Sit down and think this through; you'll realize it's dumb.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

I thought a while back Thunder racing carried a Y pipe that deleted the cats on stock manifolds, but to be honest I would expect little to no gains from it. The biggest bottlenecks in the stock exhaust are the muffler, manifolds, and cats. I know looking at the stock Y how its crushed it looks restrictive but it really isn't restrictive, especially on a "stock" car. I know you don't want to do LT's but I would think the $ could be put elsewhere to give you better gains.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

magnaflow sells an off road y-pipe that will delete the cats and bolt up the factory manifolds. I used this on my rear mount turbo.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am running Mufflex tubes and SLP Y. The car feels stronger
than with the Jet-Hots I took off, and is louder.

Bassani used to sell an ORY that replaced the cats and Y
together.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've asked this before...long answer short....useless, don't do it, wait get LTs ory..
Don't think about it anymore
Old 04-28-2011, 03:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by T AM
I bet all you're going to get out of this is smelly exhaust and 5 hp. Spending the money to delete the cats and still run stock manifolds is teh fail. Sit down and think this through; you'll realize it's dumb.
you're "teh" fail, read the OP.

Originally Posted by justin hover
I've asked this before...long answer short....useless, don't do it, wait get LTs ory..
Don't think about it anymore
like above.....read the OP.

Thanks for the help, Ill be contacting magnaflow as well, because I didnt see it for sale on their site. thanks again!
Old 04-28-2011, 05:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by whitdog54
you're "teh" fail, read the OP.

like above.....read the OP.

Thanks for the help, Ill be contacting magnaflow as well, because I didnt see it for sale on their site. thanks again!
I agree with these guys. Its pretty pointless, especially for the money you will end up spending. If you don't want longtubes, then don't bother messing with the exhaust.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

any intrest in midlengths? im not sure if your totally against anything except stock manifolds, or just against longtubes, but midlength headers and a good ORY is a very good alternative to shortys or LT's and still gives very respectable power for the money.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

try the WS6 store.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

I have a ory for the stock mani's myself. Just on that mod alone i didn't really feel that i gained much except exhaust volume and gas smell lol. However, paired with a cutout(s) i noticed a good bit of difference in power in combination with tuning. So if you have a cutout then i say go for it, if not then there isn't much to be gained. Good luck.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

why no LTs?
Old 04-28-2011, 10:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
why no LTs?
I can understand why some people dont want LT's, mainly b/c in some States its more trouble then its worth to get it inspected. I had them on one of my cars but decided to stick with stock manifolds on my new car just b/c it really wasn't worth the trouble. But like I said earlier if someone doesn't want LT's thats fine, but the money can be spent elsewhere to give better gains then messing with the stock manifolds/Y pipe. There are a ton of ways to make power, its just a matter of sitting down and putting together a good setup and thinking outside the box sometimes
Old 04-29-2011, 03:49 AM
12 Second Club

I agree that if you want max power to go with LT's, full exhaust and full exhaust but some of us don't care about max power. I built my car to be a complete sleeper unless you know what you are looking for and it will suprise the hell out of anyone that thinks it's stock. I did however want to get out as much power as I could without showing any sorts of give away parts on the car. The only thing you can see on my car is the nitrous stuff. Otherwise my car looks completely stock.

I don't really care if people know what I have cause I usually tell anyone that wants to know. I just like to suprise the guy that isn't expecting my car to have what it does.

My car has a TR cheatr cam, 243 ls6 heads, ls6 intake, 01-02 manifolds, catless downpipes to stock exhaust with e-cutout, performabuilt trans and circle d stall, 150hp zex wet shot and 3.73 gears.

Car dynoed 364rwhp and 350's torque(can't recall exactly off hand) cutout open n/a on mustang dyno

477whp and I can't remember torque at all on the nitrous with cutout closed on mustang dyno. I couldn't get a full pull on spray with cutout open because it kept going lean. Cutout closed the a/f was perfect.

The car pretty much sounds stock through the stock catback but if you really know what you are listening for you can hear the cam a bit. Cutout open its a lot more noticeable. I did take it to the track once but the shift points were off in the tune and it kept bouncing off the rev limiter bad so my track times were terrible. I will be going some time soon to run it again now that its all worked out.

Eventually I will get tired of this set up and throw so LT's on it and probably put a better nitrous kit on it so I can hit it with a true 150 shot and see what the car can do with the cheatr cam full exhaust and the rest of the stuff I mentioned above but for now it's a lot of fun and it very nice and quiet for cruising but open the cutout and it's loud as hell! Kind of sounds like crap with it open all the way but if I open it I am either trying to annoy people or I am going to race so it surves it;s purpose as to why I have it in there.

Last edited by Josh Nickelsen; 04-29-2011 at 03:56 AM.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

^ say that again...nice

Quick Reply: ORY for stock manifolds