General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Annoying squeak while driving. Is this the culprit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 12:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Annoying squeak while driving. Is this the culprit?

I have a very annoying constant squeak that occurs ONLY while my car is in motion. It will not do it during idle so I have ruled out the possibility of it being a belt. The surface of the road doesn't seem to matter so I didn't think it was related to the shocks/springs.

Although, I took this video today (excuse the poor quality) that has a similar sound to what I hear while driving. The squeaking seems a tad more high pitched. Could this be the SAME noise I hear while driving. What do you guys think could be causing this squeak in particular? Is it a bad shock/spring? NONE of the other quarter panels make this noise whatsoever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scfbcbokTCw
Old 04-27-2011, 04:15 PM
Teching In

mine just started making the same noise, front pass side only. It can be a smooth road and it still does it. Only way to duplicate is to do what you are doing. Strut, spring...???? I don't know either.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:38 PM

i have a similar problem but its in the rear sounds exactly like they on both side of rear, i wd40 pretty much everything still nothing
Old 04-28-2011, 12:43 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah, its driving me insane! Its constant when I am driving and can even hear it over the music sometimes. I just can't figure out whats causing it.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:20 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone?
Old 05-02-2011, 01:17 AM
Staging Lane

I have a annoying squeak that I finally got rid of for me it was all the time smooth road or bumpy didnt matter finally figured it out it was my back seat were it latches at The top I fixed it with silicone spray I hope this helps
Old 05-02-2011, 10:59 AM
Teching In

I had a bad squeek on the front passenger. After rebuilding the whole front end i found the culprit was the lower shock bushing was shot and i had metal to metal contact. Its hard to see with out removing the tire. Check it out.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:23 AM
TECH Resident

Where can I get replacement shock bushings and how much do they run for? Easy install?

I will if thats it later this week.

I don't think this noise would come from the backseat because I can clearly hear it in front of me. I will definitely check that tomorrow though. Thanks!
Old 05-03-2011, 08:06 AM
Teching In

You can't replace just the bushings. New shocks are in order. Bilsteins run about $400 for a set.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:44 PM
TECH Resident

Anybody else have any input? This is getting worse. I recently got all my rotors/pads changed and a buddy of mine said the shock bushings looked OK. He said he could be wrong because he didn't get a good enough look at them.

The sound is so annoying that I frequently don't even want to drive the car. What other suspension component could cause this annoying sound shown in the video above? I really hate bringing my car to shops and will only do it if absolutely necessary if I can't figure out where its coming from.

Thanks guys!
Old 07-20-2011, 08:52 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Holy ****........are you literally bouncing the front end up and down with one hand?

My car won't budge unless I use two hands and put all my weight into it, and then it will only go down like 1/2 inch.

Your shocks are history.

Where is Spring Hill, FL?

Old 07-21-2011, 12:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Also check or grease the sway bar bushings. Take a look at the swaybar endlinks too.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:14 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If those are the factory shocks, they are gonna be toast now. That thing is bouncing way too easily. You could need other parts as well, but those shocks appear to be long gone.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:19 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's your shocks telling you they're done.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:50 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, they're the factory shocks. If that's the only thing that can cause this annoying squeak then it must be the culprit. Time to start saving up!

Spring Hill, FL is about an hour north of Tampa.

Thanks guys.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Did you ever change your shocks? and if so did it help? I have this squeek in the Left front and its almost embarassing.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry for the thread bump, but figured my issue might go here as well.

I have some sort of squeak I can't figure out for the life of me. Car has brand new brakes front and rear. When I'm moving at slow speeds, the car is squeaking non stop. Smooth roads or bumpy it'll squeaking like a SOB when it's warm. When I down shift, the squeakig subsides momentarily. If I touch the brakes when the car is warm, my car sounds like I'm using steel plates for brake pads. But that's unbelievably inconsistent. Some times it doesn't make that sound at all. If I really stand on the brakes, not a sound. I'm pretty sure I need a hub bearing as I made a sharp right turn and heard a small bit of whirring. But that could have been my tire rubbing (running c6 wheels). As far as I know, my shocks and struts are stock with 113k on them. I've pushed on the car to see if it's bouncy, but they seem to be holding up ok, but I'm by no means a professional. I'm going to try to hit the bushing with some grease tonight, would love any sort of input from you guys. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Tipnitty; 01-31-2017 at 01:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Annoying squeak while driving. Is this the culprit?