LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

3 Issues/Need Input

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 3 Issues/Need Input

Consolidating all into one thread. Only have iPhone for now so searching and scrolling are a serious pain when looking for answers.

Muffler - How much are stock replacements? Or how much are flowmaster/magnaflow mufflers only? Mine are rusted through and making god awful sounds.

Steering Noise - Have any of you experienced a strange clunk or similar sound while turning at low speeds? Almost like something is resetting one way or the other when I turn from one side to the other. Sound is from under the hood and can be felt slightly through the wheel.

Brakes - Well I guess I knew what this problem was and am ordering a BrakeMotive set. I knew last fall my pads would need replacing by spring and sure enough I am now an embarrassment whenever I touch my brakes. (Screech)

Tires - What brand tires do you run? I am looking for under $200 a piece. I am looking for Y rated with low road noise, smooth ride, grip, and more importantly long life, so basically a good all around tire for that price range. Summer only.

Your input is appreciated!

Dan
Old 04-28-2011, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hurley_21_07
Consolidating all into one thread. Only have iPhone for now so searching and scrolling are a serious pain when looking for answers.

Muffler - How much are stock replacements? Or how much are flowmaster/magnaflow mufflers only? Mine are rusted through and making god awful sounds.

Steering Noise - Have any of you experienced a strange clunk or similar sound while turning at low speeds? Almost like something is resetting one way or the other when I turn from one side to the other. Sound is from under the hood and can be felt slightly through the wheel.

Brakes - Well I guess I knew what this problem was and am ordering a BrakeMotive set. I knew last fall my pads would need replacing by spring and sure enough I am now an embarrassment whenever I touch my brakes. (Screech)

Tires - What brand tires do you run? I am looking for under $200 a piece. I am looking for Y rated with low road noise, smooth ride, grip, and more importantly long life, so basically a good all around tire for that price range. Summer only.

Your input is appreciated!

Dan
are you lowered? i noticed the clunking noise while im turning the steering wheel after i put my lowering springs on. it has something to do with the struts or springs. i think flowmaster 44 mufflers are about $60 a piece but if your going for horsepower go for a different brand.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1) Stock mufflers suck. Magnaflows can be had for $50 a piece, shipped.

2) Steering noise is the intermediate steering shaft clunk. Part is about $60, labor another $100 or so.

3) Good call on Brakemotive. They make quality stuff.

4) Lots of good tires for around $160 a corner. Don't be afraid of the Korean brands.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:11 PM
Staging Lane

I just looked up a muffler from our Napa store and it looks like we only list the flowmaster for about 125 each...price may vary depending on your location. Otherwise if you call a local store they may be able to look it up in the catalog. Something that is very important with this is that you make sure you look at the picture of the muffler and figure out measurements as it sometimes tries to give you the V6 mufflers even when you have the gxp model selected
Old 04-28-2011, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

Correction on the steering noise...it's a little more like a creaking sound? Sometimes it's like a clunk/creak. I will check out what was suggested, thank you!

Also, I am not lowered. Only mods are filter, LewTune, HIDs. I do, however, have my winter rims/tires on. They might be heavier than stock, but this sound is relatively new.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:23 PM
TECH Addict

Steering clunk could be strut/mount/bearing as well. Intermediate shaft is also very likely. Usually sounds like the passenger side front wheel is loose (IIRC)
Old 04-29-2011, 06:34 AM
TECH Resident

creak/clunk could be a seized balljoint or tierod end. or like alabamaguy said, strutmount.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

Sonofab*tch. That sounds expensive.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hancook ventus v12 is a good tire, and the potenzas really arent bad at all either
Old 04-29-2011, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got the creak clunk, and it really could be any thing they listed. I need to get it up and verify ball joints, struts, ect are tight before i go on blaming the ISS
Old 04-30-2011, 12:06 AM
On The Tree

Update: I had to change my pads ASAP today, boy were they worn out. (I was unemployed for a while.) I knew they would need changing this spring.

Anyway... When I had the front wheels off I started the car and turned the steering wheel right to left and no noise at all with no load on the steering.

Sound is definitely coming from the drivers side.

Luckily I work at a dealer and will see if they can check it out for me. Then I only have two things left to do but idk when I'll have the money. Mufflers (shot) and then tires. Yay.

P.S. I might try Kuhmo, had those on my Camaro until they practically ran on the inner threading but they did great. Changed to sumitomos and those felt to forgiving and soft. Either way I will update you all on repair status of creak/clunk/annoy-the-****-out-of-us-sound.