Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would dumped LTs be ok on my setup?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 06:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Would dumped LTs be ok on my setup?

Hey guys, I did a lot of searching and found some, but not all of the info Im wanting. My car has the mods in my sig. Right now I have the Hooker longtubes mated to Lanes true dual X pipe system with dumped bullets before the axle.

Im starting to make pretty good power and Ive broken two tailshaft housings on the dyno so Im trying to go with a UMI TA. I know they dont work with X pipes and I dont want to go with a Y pipe. Im not saying a Y pipe would rob me of a lot of power, if any at all, I just dont like the sound.

I wanted to go with bullets right off the collectors. My questions are how do you get it to fit on the drivers side? I read people literally beat it with a hammer but I want to know exactly what to hit to avoid warping any kind of frame or bodywork. My other question is how loud will that be? With my dumped true duals, it doesnt bother me at all. I dont even consider it loud and wouldnt mind it being louder to be honest. I just dont want open header loud...that ridiculous.

Finally, would I make more/less power or stay the same? Would I need to have it retuned on the dyno?

So, any suggestions?
Old 05-25-2011, 09:24 PM
12 Second Club

You will probably make the same power bc it is basically the same setup with a little less piping. You will prob pick up a lot of cabin noise bc the exhaust will he exiting right underneath you
Old 05-26-2011, 01:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you look at most pipes on TD's coming off the driver side long tube, that first bit of pipe usually has two bends in it. Hooking a bullet straight to that pipe instead of off the long tube will save you having to massage your floor.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:26 PM
Staging Lane

Yea ive seen people with about 18 inches of pipe, before the bullet, on the drivers side. Any way to do it without the extension? Id like to try and do it myself opposed to an exhaust shop and dont have 3" piping laying around, or a mandrel bender.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:43 PM
Staging Lane

Any ideas?
Old 05-28-2011, 02:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Just make sure you have 30" (minimum for a 3" collector) from the O2 sensor to the exhaust exit, otherwise you can get a false lean reading from the O2 sensors.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:44 PM
Staging Lane

Ok, ive actually never heard that. How do people get away with running open headers then?
Old 05-28-2011, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kilgothephenom
Ok, ive actually never heard that. How do people get away with running open headers then?
It won't run right with open headers. The O2's actually see outside air (oxygen rich) between exhaust pulses, making it run rich.