Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust won't stay put

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 12:23 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Exhaust won't stay put

I recently did H/C/I and exhaust. I have ARH headers with catted Y and magnaflow cannon tip catback. I am using band clamps for all connections,this style http://www.jegs.com/i/Dynomax/289/36438/10002/-1?CT=999 and I cant get everything to stay put. The two tailpipes are moving the most and the intermediate wants to slide rearward off they-pipe. I can get the tail pipes lined up the best I can (about 1/4 to half inch from bumper) but after a short drive around they have shifted up and are touching the bumper
Do I need better clamps or are they just not tight enough? I have the clamps tightened down to 35 ft/lb's how tight can I go?
Old 06-07-2011, 09:58 AM
On The Tree

I have the magnaflow cannon tip exhaust as well. I had the same problem with the tips no matter how tight I got the band clamps. Only thing that worked for me was takin it to a shop and having them put a little spot weld on the pipe. Stays put and if I ever need to remove them all i need to do is grind the little spot off.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

for the tips, have an exhaust shop tack a bracket to the top of each tip and bolt it directly to the bumper support studs behind your bumper like the Borla tips. The studs and nuts are already there, you just need the bracket
Old 06-07-2011, 11:04 AM
Staging Lane

I would hate to weld it up, any other clamping method I could try?
Wouldn't welding a bracket on the tips damage their finish? Have any pics of the borla setup you are referring too.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same problem I had with my Magnaflow. I can't believe people said this catback has "great fitment," it simply does not. I finally fixed the problem by cutting and re-bending one of the hangers that was too long and causing it to hang incorrectly.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kagato
I would hate to weld it up, any other clamping method I could try?
Wouldn't welding a bracket on the tips damage their finish? Have any pics of the borla setup you are referring too.
you dont have to weld something to the entire perimeter of the tip - just a small tack at the top where noone would see it anyway

Old 06-07-2011, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I used these

and tightened them with an impact wrench and they have been fine for 5 years.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

My magnaflow tips do the same thing. And I just have the cat back only on right now and the tips love to come up I can just push them back down. I take a ride they are back up , when I get my longtubes put on next month Im having them cut the Gaint tips off and. Just having it tucked up For a much cleaner look. Also the over the axle pipe likes to come loose and rub on my drive Shaft and make a clunking noise >.<
Old 06-07-2011, 10:23 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the pic Vin, makes sense now. If i cant sort the problem myself and end up going to an exhaust shop I might have them do that!
Originally Posted by TheSilverOne
I used these

and tightened them with an impact wrench and they have been fine for 5 years.
I was wondering about those kind of clamps , the look like they would have a lot more clamping power. Where did you get them and how wide would you say they are?

Quick Reply: Exhaust won't stay put