Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0 Vortec w/4L80E in 1980 Camaro????HELP!?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 10:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.0 Vortec w/4L80E in 1980 Camaro????HELP!?!

Just bought a 1980 Z/28 Camaro, car is a roller drag car,
to the best of my knowledge it is still factory front suspension.
Car will have 6.0 Vortec Truck engine with 4L80E trans
as far as the drop in goes, I plan on this being a strickly drag car, the least amount of accessories as possible.

Was told it would be a good idea to run electric water pump?

Does anyone make a bolt in motor mount for LS style engines to 2nd gen F-body cross members?

Will I have any clearance issues between any accessories and the steering box?

if so who makes brackets to relocate?

Can you install a trans-brake in the 4l80e?

I'm assuming I'm going to need a custom drive shaft?

If anyone has done this conversion, I would appreciate any insight I can get, pictures, url's, words of wisdom, all is welcome and greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 06-12-2011, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

I am in the midst of this same swap, there is a ton of information here regarding second gens and LSx swaps. You can also check out Nastyz28.com for a ton more information on this as well.

You could use an electric pump but a regular one works just as well for a DD and street strip car.

Check NastyZ28 for which plates work best, there are several plates that work well with stock clam shell mounts and several that suck ***.

If I recall if you are using the 4th gen F-body accessories you are really close to the steering box. The truck accessories wont fit under the hood. I have the corvette accessories which mount the alternator higher and off to the driver side.

Any other questions shoot me a PM I can point you in a direction.

For a trans brake in the 4L80E i'd say get ahold of Jake Shoe at http://www.jakesperformance.com/ he sells some upgrades for these as well as rebuilds. I have not used hime but have heard great stories about his work.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by turbonewbie
im throwing a lq4/4l80e in my chevelle and from what ive been readin is if your going from a 4l60e or 700r4 in my case. you can just get a smaller yoke instead of having to big big bucks for a new drive shaft/modifying your old one. also i heard the yokes can be cut down and cleaned up for a desired length.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:06 PM
Teching In

Thanks a lot for the insight and the help, I really appreciate it.
Will post pics when the build gets underway,
Just trying to learn as much as possible now so I know what I'm up against when I go to start.
Thanks again.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

heres what you need:
http://www.spohn.net/shop/1982-1992-...ng-Stands.html
http://www.spohn.net/shop/1982-1992-...Clamshell.html
http://www.spohn.net/shop/1982-1992-...dware-Kit.html
doesnt get any simpler.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SIKHS 5
im throwing a lq4/4l80e in my chevelle and from what ive been readin is if your going from a 4l60e or 700r4 in my case. you can just get a smaller yoke instead of having to big big bucks for a new drive shaft/modifying your old one. also i heard the yokes can be cut down and cleaned up for a desired length.
I will tell you that you will need a driveshaft length of 47.5" from eyelet to eyelet. Yoke which I recall is 32 spline. Got one on Ebay for $51. It is different from 4l60 and th350. You will also need to modify or purchase a new cross member. Go with either an f-body oil pan or a Cts-v.
Give Jakeshoe a call regarding the trans-brake.

Last edited by jamminj007; 06-13-2011 at 11:33 PM. Reason: wrong spline
Old 04-04-2020, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by turbonewbie
Just bought a 1980 Z/28 Camaro, car is a roller drag car,
to the best of my knowledge it is still factory front suspension.
Car will have 6.0 Vortec Truck engine with 4L80E trans
as far as the drop in goes, I plan on this being a strickly drag car, the least amount of accessories as possible.

Was told it would be a good idea to run electric water pump?

Does anyone make a bolt in motor mount for LS style engines to 2nd gen F-body cross members?

Will I have any clearance issues between any accessories and the steering box?

if so who makes brackets to relocate?

Can you install a trans-brake in the 4l80e?

If anyone has done this conversion, I would appreciate any insight I can get, pictures, url's, words of wisdom, all is welcome and greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Did you had to do any hammering? I have a berlinetta camaro. Came with a v6 and a c4. So far I have use tran dapt motor mounts and frame mount from summit racing, speed engineering f body oil pan, ls1 intake, with deepmotor fuel rails, had to drill the intake to make the truck injectors fit and had to get spacers to make them taller to fit the fuel rails. Everything aligns good but the problem is the 4l80e trans. It seems that it's too big with the torque converter installed in motor already. I have to take out the engine and hammer the tunnel a bit to get the trans to fit. Nothing to big just a couple of cm to dent because it's barely want's to go inside. I have grind the sides of the trans for it to fit. Maybe I need new taller frame bushing to extend the body more up for more clearance but idk there's not much good information about this swap. I just been test fitting and going with the flow since I'm no expert. I also got my trans crossmember from summit racing that they recommend. Seems like the trans will sit a little more back so I have to drill new holes in the frame.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Turbonewbie hasn't been here for 8 years. Check post dates.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Turbonewbie hasn't been here for 8 years. Check post dates.
yeah but doesn't hurt to try. I already made a account at mrnastyz28

Quick Reply: 6.0 Vortec w/4L80E in 1980 Camaro????HELP!?!