Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My exhaust sounds horrible

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 01:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My exhaust sounds horrible

Ok so I have 98 T/A, I installed exhaust manifolds off a 02 ls1 car and I'm running the factory y-pipe with the cats removed, flowmaster cat back. Sounds alright but has drone and kinda quiet so I install a cut out in the I-pipe. This thing sounds like **** with it open, my last T/A had longtubes, tsp y and flowmaster catback with a cutout and sounding amazing with the cut out open, so what's making this car sound so much like ****?
Old 06-14-2011, 01:51 PM
On The Tree

I'm going to guess it's mainly caused by the factory ory. I'm still stock, so no experience first hand, but from the reading I've done it's the merge that will dictate how well an exhaust with a y-pipe will sound.

And since your previous exhaust sounded amazing to you, i'm contributing that to the tsp ory.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ya that's probably true, but before I put the long tubes and tsp ory on my last one I have all stock exhaust including the cats and it sounded gooed with a cut out open also, but I'm not sure, guess its time for headers and true duals
Old 06-14-2011, 06:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Im gonna say its probably the stock manifolds and y
Old 06-14-2011, 06:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

get some LTs.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:52 PM
Launching!

You have stock parts before the cutout....what were you expecting?
Old 06-14-2011, 07:22 PM
TECH Regular

The main problem is the ypipe and manifolds with no cats. Second is the 80 series flowmasters dont flow well at all. lots of turbulance.
anytime you have exhaust pulses running into each other (via, ypipe or xpipe) you will have rasp or harsh exhaust notes. If you plan on running a ypip fab one using a flowmaster merge collector to smooth out exhaust flow.

Trust me. Ive changed my exhaust 9 times before i found something i like. the only 2 setups i liked is as follows....

If you decide to run a....
ypipe setup= Long tube headers, custom ypipe flowmaster ypipe collector, magnaflow catback (or catback of your choice)=smooth deep, clean, powerful sound

true duals setup= long tube headers, hpipe, flowmaster 40 series (or mufflers of your choice)= loud, deep, powerful muscle car sound. No rasp.

Both setups have no rasp or "cat-getting raped" sound
Old 06-14-2011, 08:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ya I figured it was my stock stuff but just didn't make much since that my other car sounded some what good, oh well. I want loud but good sound, so long tubes and tsp true duals will do me wheel, just hate the fact I won't have tips and will have to dump it. Whitch muffler sounds the best for the tsp true duals?
Old 06-15-2011, 12:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AwsmGy
You have stock parts before the cutout....what were you expecting?
hahaha
Old 06-15-2011, 12:48 AM
TECH Regular

TSP rumbler true duals will sound a little harsh and will have some-a lot of rasp due to the xpipe. Ive had this on my car with magnaflows. took it off after 2 weeks. I had a exhaust shop custom make mine with a hpipe instead. I ended up going with flowmaster 40 series (even though im a magnaflow fan) for a more muscle car sound, and so i can hear the lope of my cam more. hehehe. Dumping the exhaust will cause major drone/resonance in the car while driving. i got mine with under axle straight out the back. i put flanges before the tail pipes so i can jack up the car without hitting the tail pipes.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:07 PM
Launching!

I don't know man...I have LT's with gutted cats going through a flowmaster y merge and single 3" cutout....I think it sounds like crap myself. Mine has the gutted 4" round cats which now act as little resonators...and my y merge is a 3" - 4", then reduced back to 3" for the cutout and then catback....I think I have too many areas with exhaust turbulence. I'm about to redo everything again and just go true dual with fake tips in the rear. I'm not sure yet if I'm gonna use an x-pipe or not.

So I think your problem is a combination of a crap y collector with no cats coming from crappy manifolds...just a guess though!
Old 06-15-2011, 07:25 PM
TECH Regular

Your problem is the gutted cats, and the flowmaster 80 series crossflow muffler. Just delete the cats.