Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

How to Get Security Light Out?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Get Security Light Out?

Any ideas? I thought I would ask before I go into it and break it. I am going to have to find a new one to. That should be a fun thing to find. I guess I should just go down to my dealership to get one!
Old 02-26-2004, 09:13 PM
11 Second Club

call the dealer, they ask for your vin. they give you a series of buttons to push that show a 3 digit number. With that 3 digit number the dealer tells you the secret handshake off buttons to press unlocking your stereo.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:28 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Assuming you're asking about the stereo TheftLock, there is a bypass method in this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/113479-how-turn-off-theft-lock.html

If you're refering to the security light on your dash, it can be caused by a number of different problems but usually by the resistor in the key being dirty.
Old 02-27-2004, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, I am talking about the one on the dash that blinks on and off to show that the car has an alarm and such. Any more ideas beside the resistor?
Old 02-27-2004, 07:25 PM
Teching In

I had this happen to me about 3 months ago. It stated out with just the light. The car ran fine, with no problems for about 2 weeks. Then after a while the car wouldn't start on occaison, then finally would start at all. So I had it towed to the dealer and they had to replace the ignition switch. If I were you i would get it looked at.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:24 PM
11 Second Club

Our dash light operations must differ. On my 00 Formula the owners manual says the Thektlok stero when activated is indicated by a blinking red light on top of the dash. This is true in my car. And all my car has is the stero - no alarm is armed making that light blink. The Camaro red light must have a different signal. What does the owner manual say it's purpose is?
Old 02-28-2004, 11:26 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by chief455
Our dash light operations must differ. On my 00 Formula the owners manual says the Thektlok stero when activated is indicated by a blinking red light on top of the dash. This is true in my car. And all my car has is the stero - no alarm is armed making that light blink. The Camaro red light must have a different signal. What does the owner manual say it's purpose is?
He's not asking about the red LED - he's refering to the light that says "Security" on the instrument panel. The TheftLock LED is in the radio itself. If your car has a factory alarm system then there is also a red LED on top of the dash next to the defroster vent.

What exactly is happening with the security light? Is it on solidly all the time? Does it blink? Only when you start the car? I have the diagnostic section of the service manual so I might be able to give you some idea where to look.
Old 02-29-2004, 06:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

"If your car has a factory alarm system then there is also a red LED on top of the dash next to the defroster vent"

That is what I was referring to. I played around with my alarm settings and it is now blinking. I don't know what mode I had set wrong, but it is working now. Thanks everyone for the advice and troubleshooting!