Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Upgrading main caps? on 800whp ls2?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 07:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Upgrading main caps? on 800whp ls2?

ight guys im rebuilding my shortblock to hit my personal goal of 800whp this summer and im wondering since im forgeding my rod/pistons and installing arp main studs would it be a good idea to upgrade my main caps?

The reason im wondering it the ls9/ls7 both have these pretty silver shiny nodular steel main caps and the lsx block i guess has the same because they are black in color and billet steal also. So those are some pretty high end stuff but the ls2 is just aluminum cast caps, i think? So i know katech makes caps which are 500 something bucks but i wonder if i can order some ls9 or lsx main caps from my gm dealer. i know line boring would have to be done but shoot if im studding the caps i have to do that anyways.

I dont know or are my stock caps just fine for 1000 flywheel horse?
But as long as no one gives me a reason not to im going to looking a ls9/ls7 or lsx cap from gm to just do a little upgrading.

like heres a ls7 cap

but those callies look serious!

Now another thing, i wonder if i kept my stock caps if a gridle like this one from dm performance would help me make my goal with
the stock caps.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:28 PM
TECH Regular

Or maybe I could just sell my ls2 and buy a iron 6.0. That might me cost effective.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The stock caps are iron, not aluminum. For higher hp you could consider having the stock ones doweled - keeps them from moving around. I believe VA Speed recommends this for anything over 800 hp.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I was wondering the same for my sleeved Ls1 (455c.i.). I'm assuming the LS1 caps are whats on the block now, not sure, but was thinking of going the callies or ERL's girdle.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RONIN LSX
I was wondering the same for my sleeved Ls1 (455c.i.). I'm assuming the LS1 caps are whats on the block now, not sure, but was thinking of going the callies or ERL's girdle.
I was thinking of the callies to but ill call va speed like copo memtioned. I just was lost when I thought about this. I'm sure va speed will point me in the rigvht direction. Also would like to ask if that gridle is worth the money.

But ill have to mail them my block right? Huh are they a full machine shop? Like they can hone my cylinders .005 over and run a line bore threw my mains?
Old 06-18-2011, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by BLINGOLE
I was thinking of the callies to but ill call va speed like copo memtioned. I just was lost when I thought about this. I'm sure va speed will point me in the rigvht direction. Also would like to ask if that gridle is worth the money.

But ill have to mail them my block right? Huh are they a full machine shop? Like they can hone my cylinders .005 over and run a line bore threw my mains?
Yeah VS is a full machine shop from what I understand. And yes you will need to get the new cap line honed, but as for the girdle I'm not sure if it's a drop in and bolt down kind of thing. Please update with your findings after you talk to VS
Old 06-20-2011, 11:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RONIN LSX
Yeah VS is a full machine shop from what I understand. And yes you will need to get the new cap line honed, but as for the girdle I'm not sure if it's a drop in and bolt down kind of thing. Please update with your findings after you talk to VS
I talked to VA speed today and they are supposed to get back with me on pricing between building my whole short block with pinning the main caps, balancing everything,honing .005, and line boring.

I talked to the guy who took my name and number but he didnt seem to sure about everyting so ill get back with you on what they say.

About just pinning the caps he said it was 400 but it included new caps? That didnt make sense to me at all so ill get back with ya.

Also he said they were very busy and it may be a few days for a response.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:33 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a lot of information on doweling the main caps out there. Most of what you're looking to do for a goal of 800rwhp seems to be slight overkill. Is there a problem with that? Not really, but if you're on a budget it can make things difficult.

Read: https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...ses-parts.html
Old 06-21-2011, 03:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
There's a lot of information on doweling the main caps out there. Most of what you're looking to do for a goal of 800rwhp seems to be slight overkill. Is there a problem with that? Not really, but if you're on a budget it can make things difficult.

Read: https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...ses-parts.html
that's a awesome gridle setup. I didn't see that when I searched. 1400 is sorta expensive but shoot if next time I want to go for 1000+whp that we be doing that setup.
And that o ring setup is nasty. Maybe around tax return I can do that and have some afr's 225's.
Thanks again about the over kill comment. I will feel better if I don't do caps and everything, people like you give me confidence it won't blow up. I think ill just do studs,gridle and a line bore.

edit--- thats 1400 with the gridle,main studs and pinning the caps and gridlle to the caps. i would have close to 900 buying the gridle i originally looked at with studs. So VA speed might just be getting my block.

Last edited by BLINGOLE; 06-22-2011 at 12:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Upgrading main caps? on 800whp ls2?