General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Flowmasters vs. Loudmouth?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flowmasters vs. Loudmouth?

My car has flowmasters but im considering putting a loudmouth exhaust system on it. Thoughts?
Old 07-24-2011, 04:36 PM
TECH Regular

Yep.Do it ASAP
Old 07-24-2011, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

slp nao
Old 07-24-2011, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you plan on ditching the cats in the future, skip the Loudmouth and get a Magnaflow catback.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:31 PM
TECH Addict

why loud mouth? your basically doing it wrong anyway. loud mouth is loud and raspy, flowmaster MAY be choking your exhaust. id get magnaflow or hooker. they sound good, flow good and go well with long tubes in the future.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Hooker x2.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:18 PM
TECH Addict

FLowmaster is GAAAAAABAGE whatever you replace it with will be a step in the right direction
Old 07-24-2011, 09:52 PM
TECH Regular

if you plan on putting headers on it then you will probably regret it
Old 07-24-2011, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

As others said, it basically comes down to the rest of your set-up. At a car meet today, one car had L/T, catted Y pipe and SLP LM. That car was loud as hell. It was wake up the dead loud.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Which Flowmasters? The single chambers sound nice; the 40-series or whatever the hell the generic Flowmaster is, not so much.

The LM just sounds like ***, regardless of the rest of the setup. Nothing like going back to the trailer-trash third-gen roots sound, I guess (no offense to those non-mullet-sporting third gen owners).
Old 07-24-2011, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

true duals imo, or geta electric cutout
Old 07-25-2011, 12:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On a LS1 with Stock Internals, Loudmouth with LTs is not the Devil that everyone makes it out to be. With a Catted Y-pipe, it is awesome! Is it Loud? Of course it is! Its not called "Quiet Mouth".

Also, the only other Catback that you can get in Stainless Steel for a similar price is Magnaflow. The fact that it has a Crossflow Muffler and the LM1 is a straight thru design, means the LM1 flows better.

In my opinion, all the Catbacks that have been mentioned sound ******' awesome, including your current Flowmaster Setup. As I and many others have stated in the past, Exhaust Tone is a matter of personal opinion. Only you know what you like. If you like your current setup, but are looking for something different, I say keep it and add an Electric Cutout.

But if you have your heart truly set on a new set of pipes, don't hesitate to give SLP's Loudmouth a shot. You won't be disappointed.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mumbles
On a LS1 with Stock Internals, Loudmouth with LTs is not the Devil that everyone makes it out to be. With a Catted Y-pipe, it is awesome! Is it Loud? Of course it is! Its not called "Quiet Mouth".

Also, the only other Catback that you can get in Stainless Steel for a similar price is Magnaflow. The fact that it has a Crossflow Muffler and the LM1 is a straight thru design, means the LM1 flows better.

Loud isnt what the problem is with the loudmouth, rasp is. At least thats how I feel. But then again i've only heard LM with ORY's in person, and i think we can both agree it sound bad with that set-up.

Also, I thought the magnaflow muffler is a straight through design?
Old 07-25-2011, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by udienow
Loud isnt what the problem is with the loudmouth, rasp is. At least thats how I feel. But then again i've only heard LM with ORY's in person, and i think we can both agree it sound bad with that set-up.

vs stock

SLP and Magnaflow are both straight-thru designs.. but magnaflow eliminates alot of rasp. I use Magnaflow and I loveee it, sometimes its a lil too quiet during idle, but i have no drone, and it wakes up during WOT.

SLP LM2 dampens some rasp, but rasp is still present.

With that being said, the only advantage of SLP vs Magnaflow that i can see the weight reduction, but not by much.

Also OP a rule of thumb
"No cat-back out-flows a cutout; no Y-pipe setup out-flows true duals." -jaberwaki
Old 07-25-2011, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're right, Rasp is definitely present with an LT/ORY/LM1 Setup. But when used with a Catted Y-pipe, the rasp is minimized (at least in my opinion) enough to let the tone (or lack of ) of SLP's LM1 shine.

Magnaflow is definitely a straight thru design. For example...

http://www.exhaustvideos.com/systems/magnaflow/

Kinda put my foot in my mouth on that one, but I guess what I was getting at with my "Straight-Thru" comment was the fact that Loudmouth's Resonator is directly in line with the 3" I-pipe. So the exhaust flows straight thru this Setup with no bends or turns.

Where as the muffler included with the Magnaflow Catback for the 4th Gen F-body is a 3" IN and Dual 2.5" OUT. This muffler would have to be constructed with some type of splitter within the muffler for the Dual Outs, rather than the single 3" IN and 3" OUT shown in the picture at the link.

While I'm sure the difference is minimal, I'm sure the "Straight-thru" of the LM1 would out flow the Magnaflow.

Thanks for keeping me in check guys.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:14 PM
TECH Addict

Leave it the way it is and dont waste your money !!!!!!!
Old 07-25-2011, 01:18 PM
Teching In

Whatever you do just get rid of the flowmaster! I just got rid of mine bc just with a custom grind cam and LTs with an ORY i was losing an average of 36rwhp across the board. Slowmaster is absolutely horrible
Old 07-26-2011, 12:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have slp lm1 and I just put lts and an ory on mine and now its louder than some cammed cars at wot....it just depends on what you want I personally dont think it sounds bad and have gotten compliments on it
Old 07-26-2011, 02:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It has been proven that the flowmaster catback for these cars results in less power than a factory muffler. Personally as far as catbacks go, SLP's pro flow is one of the best sounding. True duals is unbeatable though.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:08 AM
Staging Lane

I have magniflow on my car, and i get alot of compliments. Even from guys with SLP loudmouth exhaust. Im told it has a nice idle, growl, and is like waking up a demon from hell and wide open throttle. Ill see if i can get a video of my exhaust so you can hear it...

Quick Reply: Flowmasters vs. Loudmouth?