Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Umi lower a-arm issue!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Umi lower a-arm issue!!!

well ran into another damn issue with the car was getting it off the jack stands and ready to get it wired up at a shop.

basic run down whole front end is UMI . also have strange coilovers and strange drag brakes

well the bottom part of the lower a- arm is hitting the backside of my strange rotors I tried everything possible what is the damn issue?

i will post a pic first thing in the morning im fed up with this damn car about ready to part it out
Old 07-26-2011, 08:51 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

You are going to have to grind the ball joint mount on the A-arm to clear the Strange brake set up.

If you need any help give us a call.

Ryan
Old 07-26-2011, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

that was my last thing I was gonna do!! do you by chance have pics on how muchs to take off?
Old 07-26-2011, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you should go with a different setup..

wouldnt that affect the structure of the product?
Old 07-26-2011, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

dont know im kinda pissed you would think an after market a-arm that you paid a pretty penny for would clear, now i have to grind down my brand new a-arms which now will rust and look all hacked up. who sells a-arms that i dont have to do this? I tired of buying brand new **** that should work then come to find out I have to modify it, last time it was my th400 trans mount that was over an inch off, so i had to pay another shop 70 bucks to cut a part off and re-weld it.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

i guess ya take yer chances since it is not stock
Old 07-27-2011, 12:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by trans2000am
dont know im kinda pissed you would think an after market a-arm that you paid a pretty penny for would clear, now i have to grind down my brand new a-arms which now will rust and look all hacked up. who sells a-arms that i dont have to do this? I tired of buying brand new **** that should work then come to find out I have to modify it, last time it was my th400 trans mount that was over an inch off, so i had to pay another shop 70 bucks to cut a part off and re-weld it.
Its not UMI's fault. Im guessing that the offset of the strange brakes is totally different than stock. Not every manufacturer can make products that will work with every single component combination on the planet.

If it makes you feel any better, I had to grind my stock lower A-Arms to clear my wilwood rotors with the new kit. Just comes with the territory I guess.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:51 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SVThuh
Its not UMI's fault. Im guessing that the offset of the strange brakes is totally different than stock. Not every manufacturer can make products that will work with every single component combination on the planet.

If it makes you feel any better, I had to grind my stock lower A-Arms to clear my wilwood rotors with the new kit. Just comes with the territory I guess.
You are correct and thank you. The Strange drag brakes are off set and one of the only set ups that won't clear with out some grinding. If I remember correctly you need to grind the factory arms as well with this brake set up.

Since you are grinding the bottom of the ball joint cup it will not effect the integrity of the part in anyway. If it did I wouldn't mention to grind it.

Thank you,
Ryan
Old 08-01-2011, 11:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
You are correct and thank you. The Strange drag brakes are off set and one of the only set ups that won't clear with out some grinding. If I remember correctly you need to grind the factory arms as well with this brake set up.

Since you are grinding the bottom of the ball joint cup it will not effect the integrity of the part in anyway. If it did I wouldn't mention to grind it.

Thank you,
Ryan
Ryan, will your lower a arms clear with the C5 brake upgrade on my 01 SS.
Thanks
Old 08-02-2011, 07:37 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Judge Smales
Thanks
Yes, they will clear fine. It is only the Strange drag brake assembly and the Wilwood like mentioned above. We can modify an A-Arm before building it to clear one of these above assemblies.

Thank you,
Ryan
Old 08-02-2011, 08:27 AM
On The Tree

Thumbs up Clear!

Originally Posted by Judge Smales
Thanks
Not that you need any further proof, but I can verify this clears as well... just finished installing my UMI adjustable lower a-arms with a Trackbrackets/C6 rotor & caliper upgrade on my '02 Z28, and ran it at the road course this past weekend... worked like a champ!

Mark.

Quick Reply: Umi lower a-arm issue!!!