What to do in Austin...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 04:47 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What to do in Austin...

...besides drink

Thinking about taking me & the woman on a group vacation with 3 other couples (friends) for Labor Day. 1 couple wants to float the river, which I am not crazy about. I hear its insanely busy that weekend. Just looking for something else to do while in ATX besides 6th street. Too old to & every night.

Last edited by Beau@SDPC; 08-11-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Beau@SDPC
...besides drink

Thinking about taking me & the woman on a group vacation with 3 other couples (friends) for Labor Day. 1 couple wants to float the river, which I am not crazy about. I hear its insanely busy that weekend. Just looking for something else to do while in ATX besides 6th street. Too old to & every night.
check out SSHawks thread.. He made one of him and his family when he took a vacation to Austin and took pictures.. I know there are alot of suggestions in there..
Old 08-11-2011, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

here you go man
https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-mem...ts-fun-do.html
Old 08-11-2011, 05:37 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Cool, thanks man!
Old 08-11-2011, 06:59 PM
TECH Resident

ha, i want to go back to lockhart. they got some gooooood bbq.

Last edited by jay7199; 08-11-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:04 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Lots of live music venues.
2. A lot of good restaurants.
3. The lakes (Lake Austin and Lake Travis)
4. Better BBQ than Lubbock
I think I posted in SSHawk's thread.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Floating the river (Comal) on the weekend = already busy
Floating the river on a holiday weekend = nightmare.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:01 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I have decided against floating the river. There has got to be something better to do in Austin than sit elbow to ******* floatin the river!

I really like the suggestions and comments in SSHawks thread, may follow in his footsteps.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:16 AM
10 Second Club

I have decided against floating the river. There has got to be something better to do in Austin than sit elbow to ******* floatin the river!

I really like the suggestions and comments in SSHawks thread, may follow in his footsteps.
You can't go wrong with any of the places that people gave as good places to go or eat.

I went to almost everything they suggested and it was great my wife and kids loved it. As for Breakfast I will tell you it’s a most to go to Juan in a millions to eat…… DAMN that food was good.

Barton springs was also a good place to go swimming and have fun just be ready for some cold water but it’s awesome clear water and very deep “18 to 20ft” was what I was told by a lifeguard. I loved swimming around the bottom and under some of the big *** rocks.

I think it was like $8 or $9 for all four of us to go total.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:04 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah the river will be a madhouse that wkd. And if it doesnt rain any then it will really suck I think because it will be solid people and you'll be barely moving if you move at all lol.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:08 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by SSHAWK
You can't go wrong with any of the places that people gave as good places to go or eat.

I went to almost everything they suggested and it was great my wife and kids loved it. As for Breakfast I will tell you it’s a most to go to Juan in a millions to eat…… DAMN that food was good.

Barton springs was also a good place to go swimming and have fun just be ready for some cold water but it’s awesome clear water and very deep “18 to 20ft” was what I was told by a lifeguard. I loved swimming around the bottom and under some of the big *** rocks.

I think it was like $8 or $9 for all four of us to go total.
After the picture you posted from there, I was all in for some of that place, haha!

Barton Springs definately sounds fun. Like I say, I think I will follow your thread and just see where the wind takes us. Alot of this will depend on what the other couples want to do. They are younger and kid-less, so we (myself, momma, and the kiddo) may venture out on our own quite often.

I have exhausted google maps, but I already have a quite a good idea of food joints and attractions we can visit. Should be a great trip thanks to all the information I found in your thread.

Last edited by Beau@SDPC; 08-12-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:23 AM
10 Second Club

After the picture you posted from there, I was all in for some of that place, haha!

Barton Springs definately sounds fun. Like I say, I think I will follow your thread and just see where the wind takes us. Alot of this will depend on what the other couples want to do. They are younger and kid-less, so we (myself, momma, and the kiddo) may venture out on our own quite often.

I have exhausted google maps, but I already have a quite a good idea of food joints and attractions we can visit. Should be a great trip thanks to all the information I found in your thread.
No problem glad I could help.. If your in Austin and you want help finding places come in here and ask you will get tons of people to help.

Keep us posted on your trip... it was lots of fun when we did it.

What places are you looking to go on your trip?
Old 08-12-2011, 11:34 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Well, Barton springs for one. Would like to fit in a trip to Schlitterban, but that may be too far away. Austin Park & Pizza sounds like fun for the family. The little one, she is only 3, so finding something fun for her is a must. The caverns you visited would be cool. Definately want to check out the bats, more for my personal enjoyment, because my girlfriend hates birds, haha. I'm so mean, lol.

Salt lick is a MUST! Always wanted to go, never been. Probably visit the Round rock location as I have some friends in that area, and then stop in for one of those HUGE donuts!! Hula Hut looked really cool, and gotta visit Juan in a Million for sure.

Someone mentioned the downtown area of 6th street being more adult oriented, going to look more into that and see if it's kid friendly.

My girlfriend is a criminal justice major and I'm a history buff, so checking out the Capitol, LBJ Library (not sure how this will work with school being in session), and Texas History Museum would be fun. Austin Ducks may be cool, the little one loves ducks! Just sooo many things to do I am finding out. Squeezing them all into a 3 day trip may be difficult, but we're going to make the most of it!

Last edited by Beau@SDPC; 08-12-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:53 AM
10 Second Club

Well, Barton springs for one. Would like to fit in a trip to Schlitterban, but that may be too far away. Austin Park & Pizza sounds like fun for the family. The little one, she is only 3, so finding something fun for her is a must. The caverns you visited would be cool. Definately want to check out the bats, more for my personal enjoyment, because my girlfriend hates birds, haha. I'm so mean, lol.

Salt lick is a MUST! Always wanted to go, never been. Probably visit the Round rock location as I have some friends in that area. Hula Hut looked incredible, and Juan in a million for sure. Also gonna try and get me one of those gigantic donuts...yummmm!

Noticed someone mentioned the downtown area of 6th street being more adult oriented, going to look more into that and see if it's kid friendly.

My girlfriend is a criminal justice major and I'm a history buff, so checking out the Capitol, LBJ Library, and Texas History Museum would be fun. Just sooo many things to do I am finding out. Squeezing them all into a 3 day trip may be difficult, but we're going to make the most of it!
You will have lots of fun with what you have set out to do. You can get all of that done in 3 days.

I also did the Capitol, LBJ Library, and Texas History Museum it was a lot of fun.

If you going early to the Capitol M-F parking is free FYI.

We got to see everyone in action on the week we went it was cool hearing everyone talk.

The inner space caverns was very cool I'm glad I went. They turned off the lights you couldn't see your hand in front of your face. This was at the very end of the tour lol .....

Bat Watching..

They have a section just for the people on the other side of the bridge in Austin to watch the bats bring some chairs lol
Old 08-12-2011, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Salt lick is a MUST! Always wanted to go, never been. Probably visit the Round rock location as I have some friends in that area, and then stop in for one of those HUGE donuts!! Hula Hut looked really cool, and gotta visit Juan in a Million for sure.

Someone mentioned the downtown area of 6th street being more adult oriented, going to look more into that and see if it's kid friendly.

My girlfriend is a criminal justice major and I'm a history buff, so checking out the Capitol, LBJ Library (not sure how this will work with school being in session), and Texas History Museum would be fun. Austin Ducks may be cool, the little one loves ducks! Just sooo many things to do I am finding out. Squeezing them all into a 3 day trip may be difficult, but we're going to make the most of it!
Schlitterban is about 30-40 minute drive from austin. also closer to SA there's a wildlife safari ranch.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:21 PM
10 Second Club

Yes and no..

Yes it more adult oriented but most of thats night time stuff... They had a lot of places to go that the kids liked. So it just depends they also have some good places to eat.

Best thing to do is just drive down 6th street and you will see if anything jumps out at you that you think y'all might like.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:03 PM
TECH Resident

If you're looking for a great restraunt then you should try Shady Grove off of Barton Springs rd. One of my all time favorite places to eat. Their queso catfish is out of this world delicious.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:33 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Sounds great! I'm already getting excited!! Thanks everyone!!
Old 08-14-2011, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I work at the original salt lick in driftwood and I have to say that from what I've heard (from customers mostly) round rock just isn't the same. We recently hired a new GM, who was an executive chef from Vegas, to get the food up to par but i dont know how its worked out so far.

One thing is for sure though, you won't have to wait as long to be seated at round rock .
Old 08-15-2011, 11:58 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Cool, thanks for the input, I will keep that in mind!!