Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS engine building. Engine builder told me I couldnt do it.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Default LS engine building. Engine builder told me I couldnt do it.

I went to a local engine shop to ask about getting machine work done on on a LS1 block. The engine shop quoted me a price and then asked who was putting the engine together. I told him that I was going to. He then started to go on this rant about how building an LS1 is not like building a typical old school 350 and how I wouldnt have good oil pressure because I didnt have the proper equipment to make sure the bearing clearances were correct. He said "plasti-gauge isnt worth a damn, put a rod on a crank with plasti-gauge then pull it back off and put a fresh piece in there and do it again and 10 out of 10 times the readings will be different. He said "if you build this motor in your garage, it will be back in side my shop inside a month.

What the hell does he have that I dont or cant buy. I dont have the equip. to do the machine work but I could buy the micrometer to measure the bearing tolerances and all that. Either way im not gonna pay his fat *** 700 to assemble a shortblock for me.

Is plasti-gauge really that crappy?

Is putting an LS1 together that difficult?

He has me a little worried and a little pissed so im just looking to see what you guys think.

Thanks in advance.

Trey
Old 08-12-2011, 09:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go talk to a different machine shop. This guy sounds like a blow-hard.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

TrUst me its not hard I put most of it 2gether in my garage. Most tools u can rent at ur local parts store. That's what I did. He just wanted ur money and tried 2 scare u
Old 08-12-2011, 09:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

He is kinda right in a way. To do it right, you will have to buy alot of special tools. Now you could slap one together with a few measurements but there is a good chance it will be coming back out sooner rather then later.

With the price if parts, bearings, rings, etc; you could have a good shortblock built from a good builder for very little money more then just the parts cost.

You can get a good shortblock from a good builder for 3500 or so, some places less. Now add up all the machine work, pistons, rods, bearings, etc but you would come out to almost the same price.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Me and my dad put mine together from block to complete. I didn't even measure my bearing clearances. I trusted my machinist, and he turned my crank and told me what size bearings I needed. So all I did was bolt everything to the correct torque specs and cranked her up. 2 years later and it's still all good.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by armyboyatc
He said plasti-gauge isnt worth a damn, put a rod on a crank with plasti-gauge then pull it back off and put a fresh piece in there and do it again and 10 out of 10 times the readings will be different. He said "if you build this motor in your garage, it will be back in side my shop inside a month.

What the hell does he have that I dont or cant buy. I dont have the equip. to do the machine work but I could buy the micrometer to measure the bearing tolerances and all that. Either way im not gonna pay his fat *** 700 to assemble a shortblock for me.

Is plasti-gauge really that crappy?

Is putting an LS1 together that difficult?

He has me a little worried and a little pissed so im just looking to see what you guys think.

Thanks in advance.

Trey

Many of us on here have assembled LS1 blocks using plasti-gauge.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:25 AM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How much is it going to save you by doing it yourself? $500 bucks?
Old 08-12-2011, 12:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
How much is it going to save you by doing it yourself? $500 bucks?
I'm not the OP but that would still be 2 weeks of working my *** off lol
Old 08-12-2011, 12:13 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00NBMformula
I'm not the OP but that would still be 2 weeks of working my *** off lol
And how much is it worth to know its done right the 1st time? I've been there done that numerous times. Done the plastigage deal a couple times and they aren't 100% accurate. Spend the couple extra bucks and do it right the first time.

****, you could drive a car with your feet
if you want to.

That don't make it a good ******* idea.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:25 PM
Staging Lane

probably op likes to do the work himself....
like i do... i like using my tools...
and i also like to learn something new everyday lol
Old 08-12-2011, 12:38 PM
Launching!

well yeah you can do it yourself, but should you is the real question. That builder is right to a degree, should've said it in a different manner, but really these motor's are cake. I can bolt it all together like the best of them, but for the rotating assembly I'll always have a machine shop do it. Peace of mind and a warrenty on their work if it is screwed up
Old 08-12-2011, 12:57 PM
TECH Veteran

If the machining is correct, really there is no reason to pay him to do something you can easily do yourself.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Prove him wrong!
Old 08-12-2011, 03:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Based on his attitude I would have a different shop do the machine work.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In a way, plastigauge is more accurate.The mic depends on temps and your feel, which isn't very consistent. In a perfect world, you'd check your bearings and journals with the mic, then with plastigage. I always use both. And I've never once had a complaint or a come-back. Even on 800-HP 540 BBC builds.
And there are several ways of using plastigage. I like to have the block upside down, with the bearings in. Then 3 strips of PG on each bearing, then the crank, then 3 more strips, then the bearing, then the cap, then torque it like final assembly. Then undo it all.
Each strip of PG should be at or a hair over 0.001", never more than 0.0015", never less than 0.001".
If that comes out right, then you're good to move ahead.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am in the same boat as you and I'm planning to do the assembly myself.

Its not about the money. Heck, just in tool purchases, I've spent what it would cost for an assembled short block.

To me its more than that. Its the satisfaction that comes from the hard work and dedication to achieving your goal and learning something new. If that goal takes more time and money than paying someone else to do it, then so be it.

To each his own. For me, the choice is clear. Plus, its not my daily driver so if I screw something up I can wait a few months to sort it out.

Good luck with the build!
Old 08-12-2011, 07:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by armyboyatc
...but I could buy the micrometer to measure the bearing tolerances and all that. Either way im not gonna pay his fat *** 700 to assemble a shortblock for me.
Sure, you can buy a micrometer.

I can buy a violin, does that mean I'm ready to go home and play Strauss?

The fact that you don't know the diff between tolerance versus clearance tells quite a bit about your current skill level. It shows you've done some reading, but didn't understand what you read.

edit to add: the mic is only one of several expensive precision tools you'll need in order to assemble the engine properly. Runout gauge to measure crank endplay, snap gauge or inside mic to measure bearing diameter, bigger snap gauge + big mic or an inside mic to measure bore diameter, big mic to measure piston diameter, torque wrench that hits 106 in/lb, torque wrench that hits 18 lb/ft & 22 lb/ft, angle-torque meter...probably a few more that I'm not thinking of right now but you get the picture.

Total up what these cost vs. what a good shop will charge for assembly and then decide for yourself...and bear in mind the machinist knows how to use them correctly.

Last edited by crainholio; 08-12-2011 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

ive put together a few motors in my time and im no expert by any means but as long as you have the correct torque specs and stuffs properly machined then putting it back together isnt hard at all
Old 08-13-2011, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I built my stroker, and had the machine work done by the most reputable builder in my area, When I did it, I took him the bearings and had him set my bearing clearances to my spec. I then checked them with him and seen that they were perfect. So when I was assembling the engine I knew I was spot on. YOU can assemble the engine yourself, there are alot of little tips and tricks. I have a DVD on rebuilding the LS1 along with the factory manuals. I agree with the machinist, and have seen it first hand,, plastigage is not as accurate as a set of micrometers,,Period.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by crainholio
Sure, you can buy a micrometer.

I can buy a violin, does that mean I'm ready to go home and play Strauss?

The fact that you don't know the diff between tolerance versus clearance tells quite a bit about your current skill level. It shows you've done some reading, but didn't understand what you read.

edit to add: the mic is only one of several expensive precision tools you'll need in order to assemble the engine properly. Runout gauge to measure crank endplay, snap gauge or inside mic to measure bearing diameter, bigger snap gauge + big mic or an inside mic to measure bore diameter, big mic to measure piston diameter, torque wrench that hits 106 in/lb, torque wrench that hits 18 lb/ft & 22 lb/ft, angle-torque meter...probably a few more that I'm not thinking of right now but you get the picture.

Total up what these cost vs. what a good shop will charge for assembly and then decide for yourself...and bear in mind the machinist knows how to use them correctly.
not knowing the correct terminology is a lot different than not knowing how to read a measurement. It's not hard to learn ANY of this. I bought "How to Rebuild GM LS-SERIES ENGINES" and followed it step by step. This book could help a monkey build a motor. I've only built one motor prior to this one and that was close to 15 years ago. That motor still runs fine, as will my current build. I took my time, bought some measurement tools, and followed the book (as well as called my machinist numerous times... the value of a talented and HELPFUL machinist can not be overstated) and in the process, discovered problems that needed attention, which is exactly why you measure everything in the first place. Anybody can do this as long as you take your time, follow the instructions/book, and ask plenty of questions.

Quick Reply: LS engine building. Engine builder told me I couldnt do it.