Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Need help Picking Out Procharger for LS1 Miata

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help Picking Out Procharger for LS1 Miata

Hey guys I have a 346ci built bottom end, heads, cam, bolt ons, spray LS1 Miata... It's time to ditch the spray and get procharged (see sig for current
mods)

Anyway, I have F-body accessories and I've been looking at a lot of F-body procharger kits and all I can find is complete kits! (comes with D1SC/P1SC and mounting hardware, injectors, fuel pump, intercooler, etc...

I am going to custom do everything but can't seem to find where I can purchase a procharger ONLY set up (hardware and compressor ONLY)

I'm aiming at 550whp at low boost (7-9psi) hopefully it's attainable...

Can anyone help me in the right direction? Thanks a ton!

I don't have much room to work with either...
Old 08-27-2011, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why Procharger. I vote junkyard 5.3/317 combo, 76mm+ T4 turbo and E85. Prochargers break often and are pretty limted due to belt size/design and head unit type.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98TA6.0
why Procharger. I vote junkyard 5.3/317 combo, 76mm+ T4 turbo and E85. Prochargers break often and are pretty limted due to belt size/design and head unit type.
Only because its so simple... You literally bolt it up and fab up some intercoer piping and mount a FMIC and your on your way...

The motor in the car is staying... I'd love to do what you suggest but will stick to this motor til it grenades...
There is very little room under the hood, so procharger is an easy Solution.
Also.. 550whp is the theoretical limit of my drivetrain (clutch, axles, driveshaft, and fuel system)

I just can't figure out how to buy just the procharger and not the other crap that goes with it...

Why do you say prochargers are unreliable?
Old 08-27-2011, 05:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just due to belt slip and inherent design that can produce higher iat's, but since your going with a FMIC you've already beaten that one due to bypassing the twin IC's the kit comes with, and if your going custom bracket's you may as well go with a cog drive and a beefy bracket so you eliminate the other problem associated with prochargers, belt slip. They also can make getting to your accesories a hassle.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

There are many vendors that will sell you just the head unit or let you piece together what you need. Bob@BruteSpeed comes to mind. There's nothing unreliable about the prochargers. For your setup a P1sc would work just fine and easily meet your power goals. You could also do a D1sc and pulley it for lower boost now and have room to grow for later.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:16 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 93formto98T/A
There are many vendors that will sell you just the head unit or let you piece together what you need. Bob@BruteSpeed comes to mind. There's nothing unreliable about the prochargers. For your setup a P1sc would work just fine and easily meet your power goals. You could also do a D1sc and pulley it for lower boost now and have room to grow for later.
Thanks! I offer most of the brackets, pulleys and other ProCharger piece parts on my website. Here is a link to where they are found. http://shop.brutespeed.com/ATI-ProCh...sories_c18.htm

To the OP, let me know if you have any questions. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 08-31-2011, 04:39 PM
On The Tree

I agree with 98TA6.0 . I'd rather invest the money in a custom Turbo kit.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

i disagree with this on so many levels.
first off, why should he ditch his built 346, and go with a 5.3 w/317s? he would be taking steps backwards. nothing wrong with a turbo setup at all, but speaking from a sc standpoint, prochargers are a simple bolt on that can make GREAT power. so many people dd their cars with prochargers on them with no problems what so ever. a D1SC can be pushed to 800wheel, let alone an f series blower........
go f series and never look back.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if we are talking simplicity and efficiency then Nitrous is the best candidate. I was thinking sell the forged 347 (or keep it if its that big of a deal) and get what equity it has to put towards his turbo kit. we all know a 5.3 will handle 700ish hp all day long provided the tune and fuel are both up to par. hell he could sell the 347 and get 3 or 4 5.3s and have half a million boosting miles of motor to work with. either way I am very against the Prochargers. the instant boost is gonna beat the HELL out of that pricey driveline he has and traction is already an issue with his roll of quarters weight car. I vote turbo for the sake of simplicity and drivability. think of a E85 PT76GTS 5.3 Miata. mid 8s anyone?
Old 08-31-2011, 06:40 PM
TECH Resident

I understand the turbo arguement I do but a prochargers simplicity is hard to argue with. Also space is at a minimum in this car making the turbo a remote mount option which puts into question the stance of the car. If its lowered its wont be. A d1sc would be my choice like mentioned above. pulley it down to make minimul boost fow now, room to grow later.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:52 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
Just due to belt slip and inherent design that can produce higher iat's, but since your going with a FMIC you've already beaten that one due to bypassing the twin IC's the kit comes with, and if your going custom bracket's you may as well go with a cog drive and a beefy bracket so you eliminate the other problem associated with prochargers, belt slip. They also can make getting to your accesories a hassle.
If you go with an Aster bracket which keeps the eight rib serpentine assembly, you won't have belt slippage. It is a nice system that is well proven.

I get calls from many turbo owners who are fed up with constantly having to deal with problems with their systems. Many people have problems with their turbo mounts cracking over time due to the extreme heat cycles, and others have problems with their oiling systems.

I've sold well over a million dollars dollars worth of ProCharger systems over the years, with very few problems cropping up. Bob

Old 09-01-2011, 04:17 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1SIKZ31
Hey guys I have a 346ci built bottom end, heads, cam, bolt ons, spray LS1 Miata... It's time to ditch the spray and get procharged (see sig for current
mods)

Anyway, I have F-body accessories and I've been looking at a lot of F-body procharger kits and all I can find is complete kits! (comes with D1SC/P1SC and mounting hardware, injectors, fuel pump, intercooler, etc...

I am going to custom do everything but can't seem to find where I can purchase a procharger ONLY set up (hardware and compressor ONLY)

I'm aiming at 550whp at low boost (7-9psi) hopefully it's attainable...

Can anyone help me in the right direction? Thanks a ton!

I don't have much room to work with either...

It looks to me like the Corvette C5/C6 bracket will put the blower in the best location for your project.

http://shop.brutespeed.com/ATI-3GKBB...-3GKBB-006.htm
http://shop.brutespeed.com/ATI-3GKBB...-3GKBB-010.htm
Above are the links for the 8 rib bracket assembly

http://shop.brutespeed.com/ATI-Perfo...-AT-917345.htm
http://shop.brutespeed.com/ATI-3GKMM...-3GKMM-004.htm
You will need this balancer and crank pinning kit

http://shop.brutespeed.com/ATI-3GKMM...-3GKMM-004.htm
You will need this bypass valve

http://shop.brutespeed.com/ATI-3GPAI...-3GPAI-002.htm
You might be able to use this air inlet and filter assembly

For head unit prices, give me a call. Bob

Old 09-01-2011, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I wouldnt say they are very reliable and they arent comparable to a premium turbo that cost a less than half a D1SC head unit. i bet a search on here can turn up more than ten people who have had their supercharger eat that stupid cone or have severe bearing failure. add to that belts and pullies are a PITA to change. now i know every single boost nood will say "I ONLY want 5 psi" but boost is more addictive than Methanphedamine. just a twist of a know for turbo guys. I will say though that superchargers have turbos beat on simplicity and packaging which is pretty important in your small car.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If I could afford to do a procharger kit I would.... The thing with prochargers is yes they are more expensive but, as Bob said there a simple bolt on. They have solutions to kill belt slipping. If you cheap out on a procharger of course it going to run like ****. Turbo's have just as many problems if not more then prochargers.

To the OP depending on your fab skills a turbo kit would be cheaper but if you cant fab it up yourself or dont have the time to it will cost just as much to have someone else fab it up as a procharger in the long run....
Old 09-01-2011, 12:39 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I wouldnt say they are very reliable and they arent comparable to a premium turbo that cost a less than half a D1SC head unit. i bet a search on here can turn up more than ten people who have had their supercharger eat that stupid cone or have severe bearing failure. add to that belts and pullies are a PITA to change. now i know every single boost nood will say "I ONLY want 5 psi" but boost is more addictive than Methanphedamine. just a twist of a know for turbo guys. I will say though that superchargers have turbos beat on simplicity and packaging which is pretty important in your small car.

D-1SC, no cone

F series has the cones

I don't want to start an argument, but do you know how many people on here have had bearings touch down in there turbos? Bob

Old 09-01-2011, 06:57 PM
On The Tree

Hey guys I have decided to do a rear mount 76.

Sold my LSXR Intake and N20 already, going to run an LS6 Intake, and a 76 on 10lb's. Have TONS of room behind the diff...

Thanks a ton for the help!
Old 09-01-2011, 08:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Turbo for the win!!! If the person doing the turbo kit takes the time to research how do set the oiling system up properly, doesn't cheap out on a turbo, and uses good wastegates/bov's then I don't see how a turbo can be more problematic than having to change a pulley or belt everytime I wanted more or less boost, or having to change belts often due to them stretching and losing tension thus losing boost and causing slippage.

They both go both ways, buy a cog drive for your blower, buy a good turbo. By aster bracket or 10-12rib serpentine or set-up pcv system and oiling system correctly with turbo.

It's all about doing it right the first time and not cheaping out on parts.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...ls1-miata.html
Old 09-30-2011, 09:31 AM
Teching In

any updates on this?
Old 09-30-2011, 01:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GV1390
any updates on this?

Yes, The car now has a Custom Grind Turbo Comp Cam:
.614/.604, 214/210 115LSA
LS6 Intake
Removed the Spray

Buying in a week: Comp Turbo's 76mm, T4 Flange, Un-Divided Housing, Billet Wheel, 0.96 A/R.
80lb Seimens Injectors.

Already Bought:
HKS SSQV Black Edition
Precision 46mm External V-Band Wastegate
Flyin' Miata Big FMIC (Bar & Plate)

Dropping the car off on the 11th of October to True Street in Mckinney for all of the Fab Work (Welding) and Intercooler Piping.

Very Close to having the car ready to be dropped off.

Quick Reply: Need help Picking Out Procharger for LS1 Miata