Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

turbo oiling help

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 06:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default turbo oiling help

finishes up my rearmount turbo system and put a new turbo on it recently took it for a test drive and it seemed fine, didnt leak oil all over like old turbo did amd all so thought i was basically done, well with it parked it didnt do anything, this was maybe the 4th time out and around, well went to move the car started it up and it smoked just a little, barley noticeable, drove it around for like 1min/2, came home looked underneath it, it blew oil ALL over the bottom of the car out of the exhaust (dont have down pipe hooked up cause its still being touched up still) kinda annoyed me cause i thought i was finally done with this problem with the new turbo so didnt mess with anything, my oil pump is about 2-3ft from the turbo no check valve.

questions i have..

with it leaking like that did i just ruin my new turbo?

if i put a one way check valve in line of my return line right after the turbo will this fix my problem

should i move my oil pump too diff location?

thanks guys any help or questions appreciated
Old 08-28-2011, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hey toxic, search my older posts on this topic. Best of luck.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It needs a check valve on the intlet of the turbo. Anything that needs a return pump should have them.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:10 PM
TECH Resident

O I have a check valve on the feed side, its a one way check vlave with a cracking pressure of I think 1psi so oil dosnt flow untill the cars on, it works if I unbolted it nothing comes out, should my turbo be ok though if I fix this and what can I use to clean it, brake clean?
Old 08-28-2011, 08:17 PM
TECH Resident

TracyRR I remeber lookin at some of ur older posts when I was looking at doing a self contained system, I've looked at a lot of stuff and basically narrowed down, I just think its my design of how I did it could be the problem, just want acomformation I guess before I redo everything and it not work, I have pics if that helps?
Old 08-28-2011, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey toxic, i have more time to answer your question now. Yes, you need a one way check valve on your suction side. Place it as close to the turbo as possible. Without the check valve, it will simply drain all of the oil in the line into your turbo when the pump if turned off. You do not have to move locations for your suction pump. Didn't see the brand of pump but if it is a turbowerx exa pump, you are good to go.....if it is another brand, i'm not sure. I have used the exa suction pump on the opposite end of the car and it worked perfectly. Best of luck.

p.s... if your turbo is new, it is fine. I have done that several times with no issues. Just clean it all out as best you can... it can cause detonation if it is in the cold side and get into the combusion.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:54 PM
TECH Resident

http://www.junkyardturbos.com/Rear-Mount-Turbo.php

This is the website I got the idea from, so the oil pump in this is what I used, its a 12volt high temp diff oil pump, and the check valves, and ill get a check valve for my return line also when things get back to normal (hurricane fun here : /) if the pump is mounted a little higher then the turbo could this cause the prob lem too? And I'm gunna find the thread I linked pics of the build on
Old 08-28-2011, 10:00 PM
TECH Resident

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...turn-pump.html

This is my set up with old hot side and old turbo but oil lines are all in same place, the return though is a 90 degree and not the 45 in this pic but all ran the same, any I nsight is apprtiated
Old 08-29-2011, 08:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Not familiar with that pump at all. With the turbowerx pump, i use several 90 degree -10 fittings on it with no issues. Might want to consider a pump.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:40 AM
TECH Resident

hmm ight, i found a couple people on here using it and using it to replace the STS one too, is there a way i can test make sure its pumping enough out? and something i just thought of cause i was lookin around on here, can u have to big of a feed line? im runnning -4 line no restrictor or anything, was told it wasnt needed for non ball bearing turbos but could this be my problem? when i get home today im gunna pull the turbo off and clean it all out and check cold side piping

Quick Reply: turbo oiling help