Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiatior over flowing?? after long trip?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 12:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Radiatior over flowing?? after long trip?

I have a LQ9 in my Lexus SC300,
I have a LS1 water pump with water pump spacers, no heater (u shaped hose connecting the 2 heater hose outputs).

i have a 28x16x3 radiator with a 14" silicone intakes fan that runs all the time.

after i drive the car some what hard for a trip like i drove for about 3 hours, and when i went to the flash light drags and hot lapped it for a while.

when i shut it off about a gallon of coolant spits out of my over flow tank, and by the time its cool enough for me to inspect what happened, the over flow which i would say is 3/4 of a gallon is totally empty, and about 2 inches of water is missing from the rad.
Is there something im doing wrong. the sending unit for my gauges say 185ish degrees. and the motor is working perfect

any ideas or suggestions would be appriciated
thanks
Old 08-31-2011, 01:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by millertimesc600
I have a LQ9 in my Lexus SC300,
I have a LS1 water pump with water pump spacers, no heater (u shaped hose connecting the 2 heater hose outputs).

i have a 28x16x3 radiator with a 14" silicone intakes fan that runs all the time.

after i drive the car some what hard for a trip like i drove for about 3 hours, and when i went to the flash light drags and hot lapped it for a while.

when i shut it off about a gallon of coolant spits out of my over flow tank, and by the time its cool enough for me to inspect what happened, the over flow which i would say is 3/4 of a gallon is totally empty, and about 2 inches of water is missing from the rad.
Is there something im doing wrong. the sending unit for my gauges say 185ish degrees. and the motor is working perfect

any ideas or suggestions would be appriciated
thanks
Is your radiator cap Failing?
Old 08-31-2011, 01:08 PM
Teching In

no the cap is fine, i am using the stock lexus over flow is it possible its too small?

the line that goes from the tank to the rad might be the problem i dont think i clamped it "tight"
to the rad
Old 08-31-2011, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahh look at the steam vents tube under the intake. Follow that line to the radaitor cap. that line must be on the bottom inlet just above the expancion-spellin- tank. the expansion hose goes on top closese to the rad cap.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
Ahh look at the steam vents tube under the intake. Follow that line to the radaitor cap. that line must be on the bottom inlet just above the expancion-spellin- tank. the expansion hose goes on top closese to the rad cap.
On my LQ9 i just ran the Crossover into the back of the waterpump, drilled and tapped it.

Hmm i know the system needs to be able to hold the pressure to maintain cooling, but if it remains cool and still overflows. Thats different
Old 08-31-2011, 01:18 PM
Teching In

i have my steam vent tube ran to the upper rad hose, i ran this coolant system similar to a 350 or like a toyota, is this not going to work?
Old 08-31-2011, 04:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Is it bled properly?
Old 08-31-2011, 05:01 PM
Teching In

im not really sure, i do know that before i took it to get tuned i added about half a gallon, then i cam home after driving hour and a half up and back and tuning it.

and as soon as i got home it went burble burble, psshhhhhhh

and dumped about a half gallon on the floor
Old 08-31-2011, 06:48 PM
Teching In

I agree with "the_merv" above. I am pretty new to LSx motors but this is a really common issue with Porsche Boxsters, and 996. The problem in them is always related to bleeding air out of the system. On the Porsche's there is a very specific process to go through to bleed the air out of the system. For the LSx I have not seen similar instructions but I have found that the vent tubes on the engine are designed to allow the highpoint in the system to bleed air into the radiator. If you are tapping into the water pump you may have a high point in the engine that is holding air. This will be particularly true if the coolant in the heads is at a higher point then your radiator.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by debreshnev
I agree with "the_merv" above. I am pretty new to LSx motors but this is a really common issue with Porsche Boxsters, and 996. The problem in them is always related to bleeding air out of the system. On the Porsche's there is a very specific process to go through to bleed the air out of the system. For the LSx I have not seen similar instructions but I have found that the vent tubes on the engine are designed to allow the highpoint in the system to bleed air into the radiator. If you are tapping into the water pump you may have a high point in the engine that is holding air. This will be particularly true if the coolant in the heads is at a higher point then your radiator.
Mine's been like this for two years without any problems, running 170° any day with the A/C on and I'm in SE TX where it's been over 100° for most of the summer. I also have a cheap "Chinese" 26 x 18 dual-pass Jeg's radiator. I've been sold on the dual-pass style since using it here, mainly for hose line up...
Old 08-31-2011, 07:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Ya I've seen tapping into the Water Pump cause no issues..I'm debating on doing it with the LS1 going into my S10.