Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My 2000 Trans Am KYTP/PT76GTS/370 build.. IT LIVES!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 12:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default My 2000 Trans Am KYTP/PT76GTS/370 build.. IT LIVES!

I figured it was time to start a build thread

Some background info - I purchased my car in 2007 from a member here. It was cam only, cam only/nitrous, and finally heads/cam. It always held its own against some pretty fast cars in the area and i have had no complaints. Then my friend let me drive his turbo 99 Trans am and that was all she wrote Just so happens that a friend wanted my complete running motor, perfect opportunity.

Here are some pics as the car was:

231/237 cam, FAST 90, TFS 215 heads, full exhaust, 9 inch etc 460rwhp/423tq

interior shot: fairly stock except corbeau seats and an AFR gauge lol, i will be ricing it out with more gauges, a 8pt and corbeau harnesses

So the motor came out and went to its new home.

After some thought and debate i scratched my orig plan for aTC78 and decided on the PT76GTS instead:

Got a great deal on a stainless KYTP turbo kit from Sluggish:

I plan to have this recoated and modified to accept a TiAl 44mm wg

After my search for a 6.0 iron block ended with finding a bunch of overpriced scrap locally, i decided to just get a running motor from a local yard. I got this 2005 Lq4 out of a penske truck . $900 delivered, can't go wrong! I will be reusing the block, crank, heads (i plan to send them out) and covers

down to the bare block, this thing was silly clean inside, bearings looked brand new

dropped this off at the machine shop this past friday to get cleaned up.

In the mean time, i just had to mock up the turbo kit

Plan is as follows:

370cid motor - diamond pistons, callies rods, ARP studs (main and head) Built by my friend JnJ speed shop
317 heads - i plan to send them to TEA
undecided on a cam
fuel system - may build my own or just get one of the nasty performance kits
LS6 intake - tried and true
pt76gts/tial wg/kytp hot side
E bay cold side
custom 8pt chromoly cage (local guy is VERY skilled and reasonably priced)

I still need to decide on a clutch. I JUST put a spec 3 in the car at the end of last season. It saw maybe 5k miles, no track runs, a few roll races.. one of the weights came off and made a mess of things -

I will try to update this as much as possible, i plan on making many modifications and beautifying things as well, i have always been a proponent of show and go

Last edited by jt76; 05-25-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a fun build, what are you goals with it?
Old 09-06-2011, 01:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 346ci
Looks like a fun build, what are you goals with it?
I want to crack 700+ wheel HP at around 15 psi
Old 10-05-2011, 06:51 AM
11 Second Club

Subscribing. Looks like your buddy Bill's 370 build with the HiFlo kit. I bet you'll get your goal with similar torque. No mvb 400 or 4l80 for you? Autos are more fun with turbos
Old 10-05-2011, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah Bill's old setup with the 76/370 was my inspiration. It was the prefect combo for a fun street car. I have not made much progress as of late due to school and my rods being on backorder, but apparently they shipped out yesterday. I also received my pistons yesterday so i plan on taking my block to the machine shop today (machine shop wanted the pistons there when they did the work) SO hopefully the short block will be ready for assembly within the next week.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:18 PM
11 Second Club

Sounds good. I'm planning on building a 370 for this car within the next year or so. You using the stock crank? How tight do you plan on twisting this motor? Since you're after a roll racing monster, I'd def. go with a bigger stick than what Bill did in his and get peak power up around 6800-7k rpm. That cam worked well in my 347, but 230s on the intake side for a 370 would work well IMO with a good flowing set of 317s. Plus it would sound cool as ****
Old 10-05-2011, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good. If you keep the weight down you shouldn't have too much of an issue trapping close to 150. I've gone 144 @ 4200lbs with a very similar setup so far. Have fun!
Old 10-05-2011, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just dropped the block and parts off at the machine shop so hopefully the ball is rolling..

Originally Posted by Photochop
Sounds good. I'm planning on building a 370 for this car within the next year or so. You using the stock crank? How tight do you plan on twisting this motor? Since you're after a roll racing monster, I'd def. go with a bigger stick than what Bill did in his and get peak power up around 6800-7k rpm. That cam worked well in my 347, but 230s on the intake side for a 370 would work well IMO with a good flowing set of 317s. Plus it would sound cool as ****
Yes sticking with the stock crank, not sure on what i want to rev it to.. I will have the rotating assembly/rod bolts ect might as well take it to at least high 6XXX - 7. I don't even remember what cam bill was running in that setup, it was ages ago. I was thinking something in the 230's as well for this motor.

Originally Posted by HydroStream6
Looks good. If you keep the weight down you shouldn't have too much of an issue trapping close to 150. I've gone 144 @ 4200lbs with a very similar setup so far. Have fun!
I would really like to trap a high 14X. Last year my car weighed right around 33XXlbs with the street wheels on. With the added weight of the turbo kit/iron block (but with the race stars and probably a k member offsetting some) it should still be under 3500lbs.. i hope.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here is a quick update and I'm sure I will be asking more questions:

Got the block machined and all the engine parts balanced. Everything is ready for assembly and waiting @ the engine builders.

went with Mahle pistons

Compstar rods

ARP main and head studs
ACL bearings

Block cleaned up prior to machining

BMR K member:

I am debating on what cam to go with. There are so many options and it is getting a bit overwhelming. At the top of my list currently is the speed INC "TU2" cam which is a 236/236 .587/.587 112.5 ... Some people have told me that this cam will bleed off boost?

Also i want to begin to put together my fuel system while the engine is being built (a friend is doing it for me, so it is getting done on HIS time)
I want to be able to safely make ~750 rwhp and crank the boost a bit with a 93/race mix

So far i am thinking
-FAST rails
-aeromotive boost ref reg
- 60 or 80 lb injectors (?)
-dual walboros (run one off a hobbs switch? i have heard mixed feelings on this)
- -8 feed with the stock feed as a return

Comments and critiques are welcome and requested
Old 12-07-2011, 02:49 PM
On The Tree

looks like a fun project
Old 12-07-2011, 03:45 PM
10 Second Club

Nice build!
Old 12-07-2011, 04:18 PM
TECH Resident

nice so far mann im in the same boat going n/a to turbo...on the walbros id just run them both at the same time being your doing a return system the pumps stay cool in the fuel so i dont see a problem running both...im gona go with that also ive had my single walbro in my car for 6 years and 4 different setups never crapped out on me....
Old 02-06-2012, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here is an update.. Finally got motivated to go out to the garage and work on the car with the warm weather. Between school and work haven't had a lot of time lately but now its time to start getting work done, spring is fast approaching!

Goals for this wk -
drop front cradle out and get the BMR k member in
get fuel system hooked up and ready to go
order parts for cold side
harass my engine builder for my short block

Got a fuel system together:
- Lonnies Perfromance "Double Pumper" kit. Dual 340 pumps in the modified bucket
- 8 feed with -6 return
- Fuel lab Fuel pressure regulator
- in line filter
- plug and play wiring harness with hobbs switch to activate second pump @ WOT
- SD 80lb injectors
- Speed INC high flow rails

Also modified the bumper and made brackets for my intercooler:

Just waiting on my engine to be assembled before the real fun begins. Im also thinking about picking up some AFR or TFS heads, my tax return was pretty fat this year
Old 02-06-2012, 05:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Id go with afr beasue of the thicker deck personally, either one are great heads. Sweet build and very clean car!
Old 02-06-2012, 07:39 PM
12 Second Club

I like the build.. I'm doing the same thing. My taxes were good to lol.. How much did the fuel system set u back?
Old 02-06-2012, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

Subscribing. I'm also doing a 370 turbo build I just haven't got to far on my build thread. Good luck with the build.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mpatton
Id go with afr beasue of the thicker deck personally, either one are great heads. Sweet build and very clean car!

Stock 317's would exceed his goals. I think AFR's would be a waste of money and overkill.

I have this same turbo on a 370. Only had it to the track testing and tuning it once but it seems like a nice combo. Spools instantly and makes the power.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet build. In for updates
Old 02-07-2012, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RacerXLs1
I like the build.. I'm doing the same thing. My taxes were good to lol.. How much did the fuel system set u back?
I caught a HUGE break on the fuel system. I got the rails from speedINC on sale, the injectors were brand new, the guy had 5 sets of them and was selling for ~100 less than retail and i got the rest of the system used. I have less than $1000 into the fuel. I have saved a ton on this build by waiting and hunting for deals.

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
Stock 317's would exceed his goals. I think AFR's would be a waste of money and overkill.

I have this same turbo on a 370. Only had it to the track testing and tuning it once but it seems like a nice combo. Spools instantly and makes the power.
I have a set of 317's, debating on using them. How much boost do you run? what is your setup? I am def interested in what others have done with similar setups...

anyways..

got some solid work done last night...

Pulled the front suspension by myself which wasn't much fun, then my friend stopped down when the heavy work was done

got rid of the stock K member, never realized how heavy it is in comparison to the BMR chromoly one. Also painted the A arms and what not with black chassis paint and cleaned 10 years of grime off the rack. My Qa1's look silver again too!

Finished product:

Also cleaned up the turbo kit and mocked it up on a junk block i had laying around

Fuel system install starts Wednesday night
Old 02-07-2012, 07:34 PM
12 Second Club

Dang your lucky!!! I also interested in what hands people are using?? Not trying to hijack ur thread lol...

Quick Reply: My 2000 Trans Am KYTP/PT76GTS/370 build.. IT LIVES!