Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Totally ignorant, stupid question

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 05:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Totally ignorant, stupid question

Flame suit on.

I've never modded exhaust, but when you put headers on, do they replace your exhaust manifold, or bolt to it?

I know, I'm stupid. I'm a computer geek with a fast car (that I want to go faster), and am new to this sort of thing.

Thanks,

-Mike
Old 03-06-2004, 05:21 PM
Launching!

Header's replace your exhaust manifold's they are worth the money just don't buy shorties get mid's or long tube's.
Jimmy
Old 03-06-2004, 05:42 PM
TECH Junkie

They replace the manifolds like Jimmy said, also like he said get longtubes. Most people get hookers, Kooks, Jet Hots (aka Hookers) and I think now Pacesetters. Good shopping!
Old 03-06-2004, 05:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Ya, headers will replace the factory exhaust manifolds. If you do go for long tubes (the best choice IMO) then you will also have to replace the catalytic convertors and the factory Y-pipe. So basically if you crawl under your car and take note of where the two exhaust pipes merge into one (near the back of your transmission) everything forward of that will be replaced.

Here are a couple of links with more info:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question172.htm

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139142
Old 03-06-2004, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

Don't worry about stupid questions here, Lord know's I have asked plenty. No one here will kill ya for it.
Good luck Mike!!!
Old 03-07-2004, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
Flame suit on.

I've never modded exhaust, but when you put headers on, do they replace your exhaust manifold, or bolt to it?

I know, I'm stupid. I'm a computer geek with a fast car (that I want to go faster), and am new to this sort of thing.

Thanks,

-Mike
There is no such thing as a stupid question...if you don't know the answer.

I'm sure there are many of us here who could ask you a computer question that might seem stupid to you. I know I could!

FWIW: Headers are a very popular mod because they look neat, make lots of extra noise, some extra underhood temps, often scrape on speed bumps, etc. and sometimes help power IF you get a good free-flowing exhaust system behind them. If you don't plan to do other high-cost mods like ported heads, stroker, etc. you might consider just improving the exhaust from the stock manifolds back. I realize that's heresy to most, but it just might give you what you want in a performance increase but without the bling or the pita of headers.

My $.02
Old 03-07-2004, 09:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for all the replies. I felt stupid for asking what seems to be such an elemntary question, but we all have to start somewhere. I've done a couple little things with my car, like plugs and wires, MTI lid, stereo setup, and !CAGS, but nothing major yet.

-Mike
Old 03-07-2004, 11:26 PM
BB
TECH Enthusiast

Almost as bad as a computer geek asking what a data structure is. Just kidding. I am a software design engineer. You should have seen my questions over a year ago. Talk about needing a LS1 for dummies book. And now over a year later I have done 3 cam swaps, headers, heads, etc. and I just got done this weekend taking my engine out and tearing it all the way down and pulling the crank.

Good luck and don't hestitate to ask questions here as everyone is eager to help and give you their opinion. Just be careful with the opinions.