Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how's this look? miss anything?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 10:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how's this look? miss anything?

hi all, i'm looking to get an ls1 fbody soon and i'm planning my final build so i know what i have to work towards, what im looking for is a beast of a street car that i MAY take to the track at some point, not entirely decided on that yet. also, i know this wont all be happening at once, like i said this is my end result, im kinda hoping for feedback both on if i missed anything, and how it looks as a build

well, here we go, in no particular order lol:
-kooks long tube headers (1 7/8 primaries)
-kooks true duals
-FAST lsxr intake manifold (102mm)
-FAST 92mm throttle body (or maybe 102 to match but prolly not necessary)
-trick flow 515 hp genx head / cam kit
-SLP cold air induction
-UMI 3 point weld on subframe connectors
-UMI double adjustable panhard bar (unless the BMR relocation kit, needed with kooks true dual setup, comes with a comparable bar, couldn't tell from the LITTLE research i did, obviously i can confirm later)
-UMI front and rear sway bar kit
-BMR driveshaft safety loop (again for kooks exhaust)
-UMI c5 brake conversion kit
-UMI front and rear lower control arms (idk between adjustable or non yet)
- either a 12 bolt or 9" rear end with most likely a 3.73 gear, as far as which one, i am still undecided but leaning toward the 9"
-36 lb/hr injectors (brand i havent decided yet, also these would be sufficient, no?)
-possibly a fuel pump if stock won't keep up, but i havent seen too many cases with the ls1 where it'll be a weak point yet, i could be wrong though
-most likely going with 18x8 wheels with maybe a 275 tire, haven't done much looking here yet either but thats my initial thoughts

transmission i know would need some work, but since i dont have the car yet i will hold off to see if i get a manual or auto, would prefer manual but doesnt REALLY matter

of course, being a final build, none of this is set in stone, aside from the kooks headers / exhaust, i'm 100% sold on those and willing to pay for them. beyond that, any feedback one way or another would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by blindcyde; 10-15-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Youll need fuel rails to go with that 102 intake. Go with the tfs heads but get a custom cam from eps instead. 8in wide rims? Stockers on an ss or ws6 are 9.5. Youll needall the tire you can get if you have any hopes of putting the 450+rwhp that youll be making to the pavement.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:18 AM
Teching In

Hmm, fuel rail, thanks didn't think of that one for some reason lol, and what are the stock wheel sizes on the z28 and trans am, for some reason I was thinking 7 inch wide so ya, 9.5 is a bit of a game changer lol. Mostly I've looked into how to make the power and how to hold the car together with it lol
Old 10-16-2011, 08:06 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

9.5 is a game changer, lol that is full of win right there lol
Old 10-16-2011, 08:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Get a custom cam instead, Also Manual is more fun!!!
Old 10-16-2011, 09:39 AM
12 Second Club

Definitely get a custom cam...might as well get adjustable lower control arms. Otherwise looks like a pretty good list. I would look at getting some drag radials for whatever wheels you decide.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ditch the slpcold air stuff, fast toys lid and a speed density tune will be best
Old 10-16-2011, 02:33 PM
Teching In

first off let me say thanks for all the responses.

i'll look into a custom cam, but the trick flow heads in that kit are a good choice i take it?

and ronny, i agree manual is more fun but ultimately it all depends on whats available when i actually buy the car

one last question and i think i'll be done lol... with the fast toys lid, is the ram air kit worth getting with it? the kit looks effective enough for a ram air, but typically ram air in general is only useful at relatively higher speeds (for street use anyway, which im planning for) i'd kinda not want to spend the money on it to only really help when im on the highway cruising lol, but if its a noticable gain across the board i'll prolly get it
Old 10-16-2011, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blindcyde
Hmm, fuel rail, thanks didn't think of that one for some reason lol, and what are the stock wheel sizes on the z28 and trans am, for some reason I was thinking 7 inch wide so ya, 9.5 is a bit of a game changer lol. Mostly I've looked into how to make the power and how to hold the car together with it lol
Stock on T/As was 7 inches wide, T/A WS6s had 9.5s. Many people upgrade to a 10.5 with 305 or 315s.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh ok, IMO, If you get a TA WS6 you won't really need a ram air cause the hood, but if it's a camaro then it's more recommended.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:35 PM
Teching In

your gonna need to change out your rearend. the stock f-body rears are barely strong enough to handle stock power. thats if you plan on some agressive driving. and the slp cold air induction set-up is good,in a ws6 with ram air. i'm sure alot of people don't know, but after about 100 mph, the ram air no longer comes into play. the air rises right up and over the hood. a phone call to slp will confirm this.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:20 PM
12 Second Club

A true ram air system ( ftra, ssra, Chris1313) is one of the best cheap mods you can do to an f-body as long as you completely seal the air lid. The stock ram air systems don't do anything for you.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:47 PM
Teching In

once again, thanks for the great replies

i know the rear end will need to be replaced, i'll prolly go with a 12 bolt but the 9" is another option i'm considering as well

as for the wheels / tires, 10.5 inch with 315's sounds awesome, but would the front handle that size without issues turning? i kinda want the same size tires on all 4 corners, but it isnt THAT big of an issue to use narrower tires up front lol

as far as the cam that comes with that kit, i like the rpm range it makes power in, and the sound is nice too on similar ones ive found clips of, though without checking yet (keyword yet) does anyone happen to know how those heads would work with a magic stick 3 cam? thats another one i saw that i liked the specs of so that MAY be an option. obviously i'll look into it as well just askin if anyone has any info on it as well, be it from personal use or reference on here. prolly go with a 114 lsa for a bit smoother idle lol but it sounds great overall
Old 10-17-2011, 06:08 PM
12 Second Club

The MS3 is a very popular cam and has been proven to make good power. I would suggest you call around to a few companies and let them spec you a custom cam or have them suggest an off the shelf cam for you.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have you ever owned one of these cars? Any similar cars to an ls1 fbod? I just can't imagine visualizing an end game build and not even owning the car. All I knew is if igot a trans am I was gonna make it look good. Camaro is ugly and wanted to be fast....but damn those are some lofty plans. Best of luck with the build. I would do one piece at a time and really appreciate each mod.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:38 AM
On The Tree

check out vengeance for cam/heads too, im assuming your lookin at the tfs kit from summit, when i was shoppin my top end vengeance was a little cheaper and much better customer service...and if you get a m6 forget the 12bolt, go s60 or 9"