Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Textralia Exo-skel issues - slipping, not fully engaging

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 09:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Textralia Exo-skel issues - slipping, not fully engaging

I noticed yesterday that my clutch was slipping, which doesn't sound that strange. What seems to be strange is that it seems to grab hard on a 1-2 powershift, but will slip in 3rd under full throttle and the car vibrates like it's got wheelhop. I know it's not spinning, no asr light and the speedo doesn't go up. I can get it to do it in the upper gears, but for some wierd reason it seems to do it in 3rd the worst.

Now that you know the symptoms, here's some background. The car is a cam/bolt-on car with 3.73s and a Textralia Exo-skel installed by the previous owner. I'm unsure of what master was installed but I do know it was upgraded at some point. The clutch has well under 5000 miles. The car is putting down somewhere around 400 to the ground on street tires. I'm looking for anything other than the clutch because of the low miles. The pedal has always let out at the very top of the pedal in the year and a half and 2000 miles I've owned the car. I can hear the fingers rattle on the clutch at idle with the clutch in, so I'm sure it's fully releasing. Is it not completely engaging? Could it be the master is going out? Do I need an adjustable master cylinder? Am I SOL and need a new clutch? Keep in mind I haven't pulled the trans and have no idea what the clutch looks like. It almost seems like its not completely engaging or something.

Thanks!

EDIT: Been talking to Jarrod from Textralia and he thinks the clutch assembly needs a shim removed. Since it's worn a little, the tolerances are off. Makes sense, anybody had an issue like this?

Last edited by ncsu602; 10-25-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

bump.....
Old 11-12-2011, 11:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Bump....still slipping a little. This clutch should hold everything I can throw at it.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had this problem. Spaced the transmission with washers and now it works fine.. thought maybe it was the wrong clutch for my application.. if I keep mine I am going to try and mill my slave cylinder.. trying to sell it though. Andget something diect fit.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the reply.....this clutch is way overkill for me, not to mention I'm not thrilled about pulling it to adjust it every 3000 miles. I've seriously about pulling this one and getting an ls7.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

bump....
Old 11-14-2011, 10:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by blackonblacksls
I had this problem. Spaced the transmission with washers and now it works fine..
Are you serious?
Old 11-14-2011, 10:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ncsu602
Been talking to Jarrod from Textralia and he thinks the clutch assembly needs a shim removed. Since it's worn a little, the tolerances are off. Makes sense, anybody had an issue like this?
Originally Posted by ncsu602
Bump....still slipping a little. This clutch should hold everything I can throw at it.
Your question has been answered, check your "A" dimension.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm just curious if anyone else has had this issue. I know what the problem is, it's not clamping enough. I'm not sure which one of the two reasons it is though. It could either be the older style floater plate hanging up on the dowels or that the dowels need to be machined down a little. It may be a month or so before I can pull the trans and take some measurements. I'm not knocking Tex at all, it's a great clutch and I've decided to keep it. I just want to be able to drive the car a little harder. If I didn't think shifting hard and running it a little wasn't fun, I'd just drive my Silverado everywhere.

Here's a few links that are related.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...-off-idle.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...ping-help.html
Old 11-18-2011, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep. wanted to play with the spacing and not have to remove and reinstall transmission... Also only used 4 bolts if that makes you feel any better. This is behind a 600rwhp ls7 too.. Now I need to find out how i keep this installed height, with a solution other than washers. Might have a bellhousing spacer machined, or find a shorter, or adjustable slave.

Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan
Are you serious?
Old 11-18-2011, 06:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

^ That's awesome!

Great idea though, good way to narrow it down before having to spend any real money. I'm betting money that my problem is the dowel pins and I'll have to do something like this. Sucks, but oh well.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yep. wanted to play with the spacing and not have to remove and reinstall transmission... Also only used 4 bolts if that makes you feel any better. This is behind a 600rwhp ls7 too.. Now I need to find out how i keep this installed height, with a solution other than washers. Might have a bellhousing spacer machined, or find a shorter, or adjustable slave.
Jesus Christ, you may want to put some bubble gum and zip ties on the input shaft for a pilot bearing. When your done breaking your trans. you can get yourself a clutch with the correct stack hight or something reasonable.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

YES! not going to break anything. I think I know what I'm doing. Do you have any clue how far the input shaft rides in the pilot bearing? Do you know how big of a diff the washers made?
Old 11-20-2011, 07:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

YES! not going to break anything. I think I know what I'm doing. Do you have any clue how far the input shaft rides in the pilot bearing? Do you know how big of a diff the washers made?
Hey whatever gets you running, Im just saying your building spacers and pissing around wasting time with bandaids instead of fixing the real issue.

Quick Reply: Textralia Exo-skel issues - slipping, not fully engaging