Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will an slp loudmouth exhaust fit a v6 firebird

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 12:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will an slp loudmouth exhaust fit a v6 firebird

As the title says, i found an slp exhaust from a trans am and I want to kno if/how it would fit a3.8l firebird...the exhaust is all stock and I NEED a cat back...and if the answer is no it won't work, wat do u guys recommend to give it as much growl as possible with stock heads?

Plz and thank u in advance
Old 10-31-2011, 01:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The I-pipe isn't the same. I'd go with something like the Magnaflow cat-back for the v6. It'll give the exhaust a nice(more aggressive) sound without making it sound like a old farm truck.
Magnaflow #15693,stainless steel, about $500
or a Dynomax #19393, aluminized steel, about $340

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 10-31-2011 at 01:20 AM.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:43 AM
Teching In

well that sucks I found this thing for lik 200 bucks :/...now just checking...is the I pipe the pipe from the headers to the cat? I'm still learning my way around a car lol
Old 10-31-2011, 01:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

It's the section that goes along the full length of the drive shaft on the passengerside.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could get an adapter to make up for the difference in the I-pipe. Or have an exhaust shop do it. It isn't difficult. I had 3 inch exhaust on my V6.

However, I am not a fan of something like a Loudmouth on a V6. It does not sound good at all. You really should think about something more mellow like Magnaflow, or Hooker.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

A nice muffler and some exhaust shop time will get you what you want for less than $300.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You could always throw a muffler and a turn down on it and dump it at the axle. But you could put that loudmouth on it but your gonna have to have a muffler shop fab it up to fit. Sound would be another question. I've got a loudmouth off my 02 on my 86 firebird. catback wise 82-02 will be the same basic layout just different size piping.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my loudmouth I on my 00 ws6 sounded friggin mean, like angry boar. loved it, perfect sound i was looking for. then after i put my 1 3/4" Lt headers and 3" ory on, it sounded like straight garbage. way to f***kin loud and i could literally hear the exhaust sound waves running into each other, its terribly bad from 2000-3000 rpms, typical rpm band for city driving. once you laid into, then it was like, "ya thats awsome", sounded like a stock car. if i was to do a another loudmouth, i would go with a well built ory with a high flow merge, and eithertake out the single bullet and put two bullets behind the bumper, or go with the power flo mufflers or equivelant with headers.

so what im getting at, with your v6, you deffinately wanna go with a baffeled muffler like these guys are saying, magnaflow or flowmaster to get it close to sounding good and close to a v8.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Please for the love of god don't put a loudmouth on a V6. It will sound worse than a Civic with a fartcan. One word of advice do not waste ur money modding a 3.8 L unless you plan on going FI. Its a waste of money and time, ask me how I know..
Old 11-02-2011, 03:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mac62989
Please for the love of god don't put a loudmouth on a V6. It will sound worse than a Civic with a fartcan. One word of advice do not waste ur money modding a 3.8 L unless you plan on going FI. Its a waste of money and time, ask me how I know..

Lol how do u kno? Long and short of it, I wanted a z28 but wen I bought my car gas was 4.50/gal and I got a great deal...theres alot more to the story but that's a convo for another day...i got a 3.8l and I'm keeping this car forever (literally) but if my engine dies, depending on price I'll swap it for an ls1 but in the meantime I gotta drive this thing and I need stuff done. I went to a few muffler shops in my area (chicago burbs) and the average price for a 40 series flowmaster was lik $450...I've checked out a few sound clips of the loudmouth on v6 firebirds on youtube and at lite revs they dont sound too bad hi revs I'm not too sure about. But y r u guys who are saying "no slp"saying no slp?
Old 11-02-2011, 03:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mac62989
Please for the love of god don't put a loudmouth on a V6. .
Originally Posted by NIghtHAwk01
But y r u guys who are saying "no slp"saying no slp?

Because the loudmouth has no muffler, just a resonator. They don't even sound amazing on a v8 car. On a v6 it would be the most annoying pitched bunch of random *** noise to hit the streets.

I literally cannot think of any car that would sound worse than a v6 fbody with a loudmouth on it.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by VandykeT/A
You could always throw a muffler and a turn down on it and dump it at the axle. But you could put that loudmouth on it but your gonna have to have a muffler shop fab it up to fit. Sound would be another question. I've got a loudmouth off my 02 on my 86 firebird. catback wise 82-02 will be the same basic layout just different size piping.
So war ur saying is a flowmaster that was on an 87 or a92 bird still fit my 01 firebird? Cuz if so I found one for 50 and another for 150

To address sound, I want more of a deep rumble that turns to a growl/roar opposed to a grrr turned scream...if that makes sense...btw if anyone is wondering I'm working on a very low budget lol
Old 11-02-2011, 04:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

IMO, just get a Magnaflow #12277 replacement muffler for about $130 shipped if money is tight. IMO, it'll be clearly louder than stock but have a good sound.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:45 PM
11 Second Club

I want more of a deep rumble that turns to a growl/roar opposed to a grrr turned scream
Figure out how to make your v6 do that and you will be a millionaire.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Lol how do u kno? Long and short of it, I wanted a z28 but wen I bought my car gas was 4.50/gal and I got a great deal...theres alot more to the story but that's a convo for another day...i got a 3.8l and I'm keeping this car forever (literally) but if my engine dies, depending on price I'll swap it for an ls1 but in the meantime I gotta drive this thing and I need stuff done. I went to a few muffler shops in my area (chicago burbs) and the average price for a 40 series flowmaster was lik $450...I've checked out a few sound clips of the loudmouth on v6 firebirds on youtube and at lite revs they dont sound too bad hi revs I'm not too sure about. But y r u guys who are saying "no slp"saying no slp?

My first car was a 99 V6 Camaro. I bought it a month after I turned 16. Then I couldnt afford an LS1 or insurance on it. Putting any exhaust on 3.8s other than TDs is the only good exhaust note I ever heard out of the cars. At idle and real low RPMs it sounds decent at best. A loudmouth will have more rasp then a ******* lawnmower. There is no deep rumble on a V6 without FI, H/C and LTs and still its nothing like a V8 really. Instead of wasting my money on performance upgrades for a V6 Camaro I saved my money and got a WS6 at 20. I have a buddy with a 3.8 and a Hooker catback and it sounds like ***. Ive been there and done that along time ago..
Old 11-02-2011, 10:02 PM
TECH Resident

Basically a Loudmouth sounds like a biplane on the V6. I have heard them. And the drone is not good. If you want to be the Red Baron then fine.

You can never make it sound like a V8. It does not fire on the same bank twice like a cross plane V8 does so it can never get the same sort of sound.

I had a Flowmaster on mine originally. This was more or less a V8 setup adapted to the car because the V6 system with their odd resonator wasn't out yet. The drone at 70mph was what made me eventually switch to a Hooker. I had even added a bullet in the I pipe at one point and that didn't help all that much. The Hooker was still decent at idle, but it was a little smoother and did not drone as horribly.

Borla with the plates closed isn't terrible on a V6 either. Magnaflow is ok too.

I don't remember if I have heard an SLP Dual Dual on a V6. Love it on my Formula, and it would probably be alright on a V6 as well.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i used to have a gtp recently for a short time, and what alot of guys did to there exhausts to give it a nice rumble instead of a civic on steroids and pissed off, is they used a 24" res, not sure of the brand but they are either purple or red colored, and then a borla xs bullet on either exit, sounds pretty damn good for a v6.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:44 AM
11 Second Club

Aren't they supercharged too though?

Only n/a v6 I've heard that even came close to a v8 was surprisingly a DeLorean. They sound exactly like the one did in Back to the Future. Might see what kind of muffler those came with stock. Sounds like when it backs out of the truck...reminds me of a near stock ls1 with a y pipe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLRk4...ACF102C286564D
Old 11-03-2011, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yes, gtp's are supercharged, but the gt's have the same motor size motor as a gtp. even without my supercharger belt on and riving around, it still sounded decent with headers, catless 3" down pipe, stock mid pipe and res, and flowmaster 40 series mufflers with 3.5" tips.

a guy in my town had a gt with what sounded like vatozone fart cans on it, sounded like ***. mine had a deep tone to it, but drone was something that wasnt hard to notice at cruising rpms.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:22 PM
TECH Resident

The supercharger doesn't make a huge difference in the exhaust by itself.

The exhaust routing and setup on the Wbody is a good deal different than on an Fbody. Potentially you could put a resonator in the I pipe and then split into two different mufflers for the outlets. It would be sort of a pain, and the rear doesn't accommodate mufflers arranged front to back all that great. It is really meant for a "crossflow" muffler like they come with stock.

A lot of the issue is most of the mufflers for the Fbodies are really made for the V8s, and if they did any exhaust note tuning at all it enhances the V8 sound, which doesn't quite work with the V6 harmonics.

Really if you want a good sound you need to try to make it more exotic than like a cross plane V8.

Quick Reply: Will an slp loudmouth exhaust fit a v6 firebird