Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-body Nova LSx questions related to truck engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 02:23 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default X-body Nova LSx questions related to truck engine

I'm doing some research on an LSx swap into a 69-74 X-body Nova. I've done a lot of reading and searching here but still had some odd questions.

I'm still shopping the car but it will be in the 69-74 range. The intended use will be daily driver. No racing or drag strip type activities. I want it to look stock so no hood scoops or the like. It MIGHT get an inch or two of lowering. I would like to keep the heater and AC.

The target engine will be a 4.8L, 5.3L, or 6.0L from a 2004 Silverado along with the attached transmission(4l60 or 4l80). The engine will be completely stock minus the catalytics and second o2 sensors. The choice of years/models is to match the LQ4 in my Land Cruiser Odds are it will be a 5.3L though.

With the above information, I could use help with the following:
  1. Oil pan - the popular pan I've seen used is the LH8 pan. The complaint I've read is that it hangs a little too low. Can this pan be used without cutting up the stock crossmember? If so, what motor mount adapters were used?
  2. Intake - I've seen way too many of the Nova conversions changing over to LS1 or LS6 intakes. Can the stock truck intake be used and clear the stock Nova hood? If so, what motor mount adapters were used?
  3. Accessories - I know if the truck intake clears, everything else up top will clear. My question is about the stock AC compressor and the stock PS pump. Will both clear the frame rails of the Nova? Will swapping to a remote canister style PS pump work?
  4. Fuel pump/fuel tank - I know that external Aerotek and Walbro pumps are liked while using a Corvette fuel filter/regulator. I burned up two Aerotek pumps on my LQ4 swap in under 200 miles. I went to a 99 Camaro fuel pump assembly. Is it possible to use the 99 Camaro fuel pump assembly on the Nova tank? The "bad" thing with the Camaro fuel pump assembly is the fact that it is about 10" tall.
  5. Exhaust manifolds/headers - Will the truck manifolds work in a Nova? Or do they exit on top of the framerails? Is there a preferred long tube header available? Is the angle of the exhaust face of the head very different from a Gen I V8? If not, how difficult is it to convert a Gen I header?
  6. Power steering box - I see a lot of swaps involving the PS box. Is this something that was forced by the LSx swap? Or is it just a simple mater of getting better steering?
  7. Radiator - I see most of the swaps using stock radiators with the driverside upper inlet. Is there a bolt in solution that has a passenger side inlet?
  8. Fans - Is it possible to use the stock truck mechanical fan?
  9. Heater core - I see people pushing the LSx engine back far in the engine bay and thus run into issues with the heater core. Is there a better heater core to use? Or is there a better motor mount to use that doesn't push the engine as far back?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im looking forward to an answer on this one too. I just got my lq9 yesterday. Its going into a 74 Ventura (nova)
Old 11-14-2011, 10:05 PM
Launching!

Still looking for answers in all the wrong places.

Any help from the bored at work?
Old 11-14-2011, 10:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if only there was a place many of the x-body swaps were located... a common, easily accessible place with answers to most, if not all, of your questions... man that would be the bee's knees.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hookemdevils22
if only there was a place many of the x-body swaps were located... a common, easily accessible place with answers to most, if not all, of your questions... man that would be the bee's knees.
and what if we made it easy and called it

The OFFICIAL X-Body Swap Thread
Old 11-15-2011, 12:11 AM
Launching!

I actually saw that thread and every project I clicked on promptly removed the truck intake/accessories. If you know of one that retained the truck intake AND accessories, please provide a link.

Again, same links I clicked on had nothing to do with the list of questions I have.

If you know of a particular project covering any of these questions, sharing a link would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:15 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm doing some research on an LSx swap into a 69-74 X-body Nova. I've done a lot of reading and searching here but still had some odd questions.

I'm still shopping the car but it will be in the 69-74 range. The intended use will be daily driver. No racing or drag strip type activities. I want it to look stock so no hood scoops or the like. It MIGHT get an inch or two of lowering. I would like to keep the heater and AC.

The target engine will be a 4.8L, 5.3L, or 6.0L from a 2004 Silverado along with the attached transmission(4l60 or 4l80). The engine will be completely stock minus the catalytics and second o2 sensors. The choice of years/models is to match the LQ4 in my Land Cruiser Odds are it will be a 5.3L though.

With the above information, I could use help with the following:[LIST=1][*]Oil pan - the popular pan I've seen used is the LH8 pan. The complaint I've read is that it hangs a little too low. Can this pan be used without cutting up the stock crossmember? If so, what motor mount adapters were used?

Yes it can. I used trans dapt plates and made my own stands so i could put my engine exactly where i wanted it. The LH8 pan hangs really low, The new Holley retro LSX pan works perfect while looking factory. but as long as your car isnt too low you should be fine. I have around 4inches between the LH8 pan and the ground on my car. and it scraped the ground many times before i put in new poly bump stops. Now its good.
[*]Intake - I've seen way too many of the Nova conversions changing over to LS1 or LS6 intakes. Can the stock truck intake be used and clear the stock Nova hood? If so, what motor mount adapters were used?[*]Accessories - I know if the truck intake clears, everything else up top will clear. My question is about the stock AC compressor and the stock PS pump. Will both clear the frame rails of the Nova? Will swapping to a remote canister style PS pump work?

The truck intake will fit if you shave most of the top brackets off of the intake, it takes lots of time and even more time if you try to make it look nice.

The stock AC compressor can fit if you notch the crossmember on the Nova. I did and its nice and tucked away.

The stock truck ps pump doesnt have any issues clearing anything.
[*]Fuel pump/fuel tank - I know that external Aerotek and Walbro pumps are liked while using a Corvette fuel filter/regulator. I burned up two Aerotek pumps on my LQ4 swap in under 200 miles. I went to a 99 Camaro fuel pump assembly. Is it possible to use the 99 Camaro fuel pump assembly on the Nova tank? The "bad" thing with the Camaro fuel pump assembly is the fact that it is about 10" tall.

Anything is possible with a good fabricator, im using Tanks Inc in-tank pump with the corvette reg/filter, with over 3000k miles and never an issue.

[*]Exhaust manifolds/headers - Will the truck manifolds work in a Nova? Or do they exit on top of the framerails? Is there a preferred long tube header available? Is the angle of the exhaust face of the head very different from a Gen I V8? If not, how difficult is it to convert a Gen I header?

Doug headers work great and are priced well. for long tube swap headers. They bolted in and came with all hardware needed.

[*]Power steering box - I see a lot of swaps involving the PS box. Is this something that was forced by the LSx swap? Or is it just a simple mater of getting better steering?

Just prefference im guessing.

[*]Radiator - I see most of the swaps using stock radiators with the driverside upper inlet. Is there a bolt in solution that has a passenger side inlet?

Stock radiator will work fine, you can search for a hose to fit, or take some madrel bends and make your own, or just order a new radiator from summit with the inlet and outlet where you want them, dual pass radiator. around 200.00

[*]Fans - Is it possible to use the stock truck mechanical fan?

Yes it is, but its close to the radiator and creates more clearance issues with the intake hose and upper radiator.

[*]Heater core - I see people pushing the LSx engine back far in the engine bay and thus run into issues with the heater core. Is there a better heater core to use? Or is there a better motor mount to use that doesn't push the engine as far back?

If you make your own stands, put the motor where you want. instead of buying mounts and adapters that might not work like you want. just make your own, or have a good fab shop do it like i did.

I hope this helps
The following users liked this post:
EZDUZ1T (02-16-2021)
Old 11-15-2011, 09:38 AM
12 Second Club

I'll take a stab, too. Whatever you decide, make sure you document your swap -- especially if you do something others haven't -- and I'll add it to the x-body thread.

Oil pan - The 98-02 f-body pan works with minor notching (2" by 2.5" or so) and lengthening of the oil pickup tube (about 1"). as I understand, the CTSV pan also works without modification, even with 1" setback plates (as in kwnova9's build).

Intake - Frojoe 'ran' (I use that term loosely, since I don't think he had any actual miles on his swap before going turbo) a truck intake and accessories on his swap with no issues.

Accessories - The accessories will clear, though the AC compressor requires notching of the frame. Check -TheBandit-'s build - he's got pics of the notch. you can also go with either a Kwik AC bracket or one I designed that's $100 cheaper - both put the compressor high on the passenger side.

Fuel pump/fuel tank - I ran an external Walbro 255 with 'vette FPR, so I can't comment on an in-tank setup. Frojoe is designing a pretty trick in-tank pump, which I may copy.

Exhaust manifolds/headers - kwnova9 is running truck manifolds. and Kansas_Nova is running f-body manifolds, which you can likely pick up for cheap in the classifieds.

Power steering box - I swapped a 3rd gen camaro IROC/F41 box for better steering feel and a quicker ratio. It is physically identical to the OEM nova box. You should have absolutely no problem with the box. remember that the LSx pump has metric fittings while the OEM box has SAE, but that problem is easily solved.

Radiator - Smo's04gto installed an 04 GTO radiator and fans on his swap. He modified the core support, but said it wasn't terribly difficult. Other than that, I don't know of any drop-in radiators (though 74novacustom may be onto something with the Summit line)

Fans - Yes. kwnova9 is running the truck clutch fan with the truck fan shroud.

Heater core - a big-block nova heater core relocates the piping further outboard, thereby avoiding the LS cylinder head on the passenger side. Slight modification to the heater box is required, but it's a drop in the 'LSx swap' bucket.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

I'll take a stab at some of your questions:

[*]Intake - I've seen way too many of the Nova conversions changing over to LS1 or LS6 intakes. Can the stock truck intake be used and clear the stock Nova hood? If so, what motor mount adapters were used?[*]Accessories - I know if the truck intake clears, everything else up top will clear. My question is about the stock AC compressor and the stock PS pump. Will both clear the frame rails of the Nova? Will swapping to a remote canister style PS pump work?
See froejoe's build in the x-body thread. He used a truck intake with the factory hood and the truck power steering & alternator. Hookemdevils22 used the truck accessories also, but not the intake. The OEM AC compressor will not clear in the factory location, but you can get some ideas for mounting AC down low in this thread : https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...8-74-nova.html You can also look at my thread if you want to see what I've tried so far.

[*]Fuel pump/fuel tank - I know that external Aerotek and Walbro pumps are liked while using a Corvette fuel filter/regulator. I burned up two Aerotek pumps on my LQ4 swap in under 200 miles. I went to a 99 Camaro fuel pump assembly. Is it possible to use the 99 Camaro fuel pump assembly on the Nova tank? The "bad" thing with the Camaro fuel pump assembly is the fact that it is about 10" tall.
I haven't seen this done on a Nova yet, but take a look here http://www.vetteworksonline.com/ls1_conversion_fuel.htm

I believe there is also some discussion on the 4th gen fuel pump in this thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...k-yay-nay.html

[*]Exhaust manifolds/headers - Will the truck manifolds work in a Nova? Or do they exit on top of the framerails? Is there a preferred long tube header available? Is the angle of the exhaust face of the head very different from a Gen I V8? If not, how difficult is it to convert a Gen I header?
I believe Chevy406 is currently running normally aspirated with stock truck manifolds. Search for his thread. There are a few long tube headers available, but nothing I would call "preferred". They all have their strong and weak points. Look through the x-body thread and see what you think. Gen 1 SBC headers do not convert easily, but if you really want to go through that type of work I think frojoe did it. Big block headers work better if you want to modify something because they don't have the siamese exhaust ports like the gen 1 SBC

[*]Power steering box - I see a lot of swaps involving the PS box. Is this something that was forced by the LSx swap? Or is it just a simple mater of getting better steering?
There's no reason you can't use a manual steering box if that's what you want to use.

[*]Fans - Is it possible to use the stock truck mechanical fan?
I can't remember who did this, but I believe I have seen it done in a Nova. I think it really depends on your engine setback because you may not have adequate clearance for the factory fan. The truck accessories stick out pretty far. This is the kind of thing you don't decide until the engine is in the car.

[*]Heater core - I see people pushing the LSx engine back far in the engine bay and thus run into issues with the heater core. Is there a better heater core to use? Or is there a better motor mount to use that doesn't push the engine as far back?
The big block heater core has been discussed for gaining clearance behind the engine. There are lots of motor mount options that put the engine anywhere from "nuetral" to 1-1/4" setback. Depending on where you put the engine, you can have oil pan, header, steering, firewall, booster, heater core, or other interference. It can be a balancing act and I have seen some things work on some people's cars without working on others, no apparent explanation. I personally am using the Dougs SK100 adapters which give the option of 1/2 or 1-1/4" setback (I am running 1/2" setback). There are some adjustable mounts (dirty dingo?) that allow you to slide the engine forward & backwards to whatever position works for your combination. If you want the most likely chance for success, try to find a combo of oil pan, headers, and mounts that has already been used by someone in the x-body thread and read carefully into what they had to do to make it work.

This is a conversion, so there are no guarantees.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

I'll take a stab, too. Whatever you decide, make sure you document your swap -- especially if you do something others haven't -- and I'll add it to the x-body thread.
X2. Even if you do your swap to the same recipe as someone else, posting the information with pictures can be extremely helpful. There are always little tidbits that you might mention someone else didn't. Not to mention it's a great way to pay it forward after you've received help like the help you're getting in this thread.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:48 AM
Launching!

Thank you very much for all the replies. VERY helpful.

Conversions will always be a pain... I have no doubt on that having done ~3. The latest was the LQ4 into an FJ55 series Land Cruiser(some what unique) and ran into every issue possible.
Here is an engine bay picture almost finished from that swap:

And here is what an FJ55 looks like:

Is there any specific issues with running AC as far as in cab related coming into the engine bay?

The place I bought my LQ4 has a hell of a "swap" package that includes basically the whole engine bay They included AC parts, all the intake stuff, exhaust all the way past the 2nd o2 sensors, etc.

-TheBandit-,
Funny you should bring up Vetteworks, that is what made me curious about the Camaro pump. I did something similar for my FJ55 swap. I'm still fighting it a bit though :/

The "challenge" with the Camaro pump is the fact that it is ~10 tall. From what little I've seen, the Nova tank isn't that tall.

And once the swap gets going, I definitely intend to get a build thread going.

I still don't have the target car picked out yet so there is a long way to go. But, if I can start finalizing parts somewhat, I'll start collecting deals as they pop up.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Great Resource!

Hookem, Bandit, you guys just compiled chapter 1 in the X-body swap bible. Nice work and thank you. I have been all over LS1Tech and looked at nearly all the Nova and 1st gen camaro swaps, but bringing them together with all the links makes this a very valuable thread! You guys rock!

About the only other advice I could contribute would be to check out Steve Nova Site, the Nova guys over there are very knowledgable as well and have a nice LSx swap section, and the classified are awesome for finding parts! Good luck with your swap, and sweet Cruiser!
Old 11-15-2011, 12:12 PM
On The Tree

Oil pan - The 98-02 f-body pan works with minor notching (2" by 2.5" or so) and lengthening of the oil pickup tube (about 1"). as I understand, the CTSV pan also works without modification, even with 1" setback plates (as in kwnova9's build).

Intake - Frojoe 'ran' (I use that term loosely, since I don't think he had any actual miles on his swap before going turbo) a truck intake and accessories on his swap with no issues.

Accessories - The accessories will clear, though the AC compressor requires notching of the frame. Check -TheBandit-'s build - he's got pics of the notch. you can also go with either a Kwik AC bracket or one I designed that's $100 cheaper - both put the compressor high on the passenger side.

Exhaust manifolds/headers - kwnova9 is running truck manifolds. and Kansas_Nova is running f-body manifolds, which you can likely pick up for cheap in the classifieds.

Fans - Yes. kwnova9 is running the truck clutch fan with the truck fan shroud.
From what I understand kwnova9's build was a 4th Gen 77' Nova, so what fit in his may not fit in a 3rd Gen 68-74. As I understand it, it uses a different subframe similar to the 2nd gen camaros and has front steering. I know oil pan interference with the steering and subframe has been a problem for alot of people, so the differences may be significant.

I too am trying to figure all these details- I have an LQ4 i am putting together for a 68-72 nova I dont have yet, so I am in a similar boat as Lil'John.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I did use SBC headers (Hooker Competition) mainly because:

1) I just bought a MIG and was itching to use it & get fab experience
2) already had the headers and I wouldn't have been able to sell 'em for much at all
3) there weren't nearly as many X-body swap options in 2007/2008 as there are now

...so I would NOT recommend going that modified SBC route these days.. so many other good options.

As for truck intake and accessories, although I only drove my setup once, I think it's still safe to say that my LQ4 accessory drive and intake fit under a stock steel hood. I did have to remove the plastic engine cover, as well as zip off the forward-most threaded boss for the cover on top of the engine, but everything else (EVAP purge solenoid, throttle body, alternator) fit. I did not retain the A/C, but in its low location the frame would most certainly need to be notched in order to fit that. Power steering pump return lines (I have 2 return tubes, was from a hydroboost truck) were close the driver side upper control arm cross shaft, but doing the Gulstrand mod and just bending one of the return tubes was enough to give ample clearance.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:00 AM
12 Second Club

True. The truck manifolds can still be used, as evidenced by Chevy406's swap (thanks for the heads-up Clint -- I thought he was sticking w/ the C6 manis).

The CTS-V pan is popular with the a-body crowd (because I searched a ton for Goat-specific info), so I could have been confused (I can't find any other documented f-/x-body swaps that used it, and it appears it would need modification w/ the rear-steer 68-72s, judging by the pictures). Honestly, I'd just spend the coin on an f-body pan and pickup ($~200) and have it modified locally (<$50).
Old 11-16-2011, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

Another exhaust option that fits is the 98' Fbody LS1 manifolds. Unlike the 99-02 manifolds they are stamped steel, so you can weld a v-band or a standard collector on easily. There is a gentleman who did just that on stevesnovasite in the LSX forum, mikes87gta. There are some pictures in his build thread.

Also I forgot to mention, you tranny choice makes a difference for exhaust fitment- the mechanical linkage on a 4 speed can get in the way of some headers.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I went with a Edelbrock carb intake and GMPP 19155067 belt drive setup because I wanted to retain stock exterior appearance and cold air intake for my 1981 TA. My car is EFI, but it uses a Holley Commander 950 I had from a previous project. The engine is not pushed back and retains its original batwing oil pan (which will probably have clearance issues in your Nova). My electric fan was pulled from a late-90s Bonneville. It's a big fan and moves a LOT of air. The radiator was ordered from Rock Auto after researching which newer plastic/aluminum radiators fit the core support hole in my car. Rock Auto provided measurements. Good source vehicles include:

mid 90s Pontiac TransPort (optional oil cooler)
90s to 2000s Chevy S10/Blazer
91-02 F-Body
late 80s full size chevy truck.

lower radiator hose required a little fabrication (because my water pump doesn't stick out as far as the truck water pump), but was an upper hose for a late 80s Ford E350 Van. Look at picks at Rock Auto or Advanced Auto online and eyeball for close fitment.

My car is factory 2nd gen TA with 305 SBC and AC-Delete. This may be a different heater core worth looking into.

Last edited by 1981TA; 11-16-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:56 PM
Teching In

Great thread! Thank you gentlemen.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Horri
Great thread! Thank you gentlemen.
Going to have to agree, one of the better threads with swap information I've read. Appreciate you guys time putting things into one place.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

There are a lot of these swaps on Steve's Nova Site.

Here is a 4th Gen swap, a 3rd Gen should be similar.

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums...d.php?t=181182

Good luck with your swap.

Quick Reply: X-body Nova LSx questions related to truck engine