Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Evans Waterless Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 09:58 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evans Waterless Coolant

I've done some reading on Evans waterless coolant and it seems like it would be perfect for a boosted motor, especially if running water cooled turbo's. So considering I have all the upgraded cooling-system goodies, would the additional investment of $360 for the special pump and $42 a gallon for coolant be worth it for a street driven car?

Also, would using Evans cause any issues with things like interior heating or cold starting?

I might add, that I'll be running a 5.3 on E85 and looking to push around 900-950HP.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:47 AM
Staging Lane

Default Evans coolant

i run it in my GN..the only thing i did was to get a low pressure radiator cap which works well with cometic head gaskets anyway and i took the thermostat out so i would have continuous flow at all times..i was pushing my car really hard so i thought every little bit helps and it is a lifetime coolant. it didn't run any cooler but when i read it stays with a hot spot i was sold.it is high but when i get around to it i will put it in everything i have...........Bob
Old 11-26-2011, 12:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Seems kind of a waste.. I just checked out the website. If you want to increase your operating temps it will hold up better.. but why would you want to do that? You increase fuel economy it says by 3% if you put a 215* thermostat in.. 7% if you put a 230* one in... why would you want that?

It remains liquid where other coolants would boil... If you are that hot you got other issues.

It looks like this stuff is a band-aid to problems already in your system.

Also it lasts a lifetime.... Who has the same race-turbo motor together for 18 years + ?

Looks like a poor investment for this application, it isnt going to do anything any better than regular anti-freeze would. - My opinion.
Does it come with a free bottle of snake oil?
Old 11-26-2011, 02:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ive always just run water and sometimes water wetter or purple ice. Sometimes not even antifreeze. Cooling system should keep coolant temps in check. I think I rather put that $ into quality efans and electrical system. If there's a problem present
Old 11-26-2011, 06:09 PM
Staging Lane

Default opinions

i guess everyone has them..my car is down right now so i took it out my GN to put in my daily driver..i know when i work on my car i drain the fluids out and reuse stuff like coolant. As far as a hotter motor being more efficient i seen it first hand with my car on a dyno..the last of 4 pulls made more power...back to back pulls too...even though they had a crappy fan to go across my intercooler..i say if you got the money go for it ..............Bob
Old 11-27-2011, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bob....over on turbo buick.com I thought everyone used RMI25? Years and years ago a buch of buick guys did a bunch of testing.....distilled water with rmi25 won. The rmi guys stop producing for a while, I think because of a death or something, but I know its back now.

Its like $20 ......distilled water....1.88 a gallon

Measured with diigital peak hold extech meters.....they measured cylinder head temp, and the lowest number won....since it produced the least propencity for detonation.
And the meters were common place egt meters, that everyone had. If I remember right many people were involved in testing.

Last edited by 1320; 11-27-2011 at 12:33 PM. Reason: added info
Old 11-28-2011, 01:19 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the replies gents..

What I'm gathering is that on an otherwise "perfectly" <<(I use that loosely) operating cooling system, my return on investment would be negligible at best. And I mean no disrespect to you Bob, for your decision to run Evans.

Bob....over on turbo buick.com I thought everyone used RMI25? Years and years ago a buch of buick guys did a bunch of testing.....distilled water with rmi25 won. The rmi guys stop producing for a while, I think because of a death or something, but I know its back now.

Its like $20 ......distilled water....1.88 a gallon

Measured with diigital peak hold extech meters.....they measured cylinder head temp, and the lowest number won....since it produced the least propencity for detonation.
And the meters were common place egt meters, that everyone had. If I remember right many people were involved in testing.
Good info, thanks. Buick guys run cast iron blocks as well, correct?

Also forgot to add, is there a difference between running distilled water compared to reverse osmosis/deionized water?

Last edited by bmech211; 11-28-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:12 PM
Staging Lane

Default 1320

yes i ran RMI25 back in the day and yes it seemed to do very well..very good stuff...good luck with what ever you use bmech211...1320 i do know when detonation happens if it's bad enough it sounds like marbles rolling around in a coffee can ...................Bob
Old 11-28-2011, 09:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

Evan Coolant is good because it is more resistant to localized boiling which regular antifreeze can do. Regular coolant can get hot in the heads, by the combustion chamber, and start to cavitation. This about how a water drop "dances" on a very hot skillet. When this happens inside the head, water is no longer in contact with the metal and this creates hot spots in the combustion chamber which cause detonation.

I used it in my NA LS powered RX7. It's kind of stinky and also it is super "slick." Are's where normal coolant may not leak the Evans seems to seep.

Andrew
Old 11-28-2011, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

most people run coolantless water. its almost free and its allowed at the track.

Quick Reply: Evans Waterless Coolant