Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has ANYONE tried the Patriot Predator Heads??

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 08:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has ANYONE tried the Patriot Predator Heads??

Hey guys..... has ANYONE tried the fairly new Predator heads from Patriot? I recently picked up a set and am starting to have second thoughts because no one on this forum seems to have tried them... dare I be a guinea pig ?

Backing up a bit, my decision was based on talks with the guys at Patriot, reading an article on the heads through GMHTP, and seeing the sale price.. I was sold on them.. Physically, the heads look pretty good and I don't see anything obvious about them that makes them look "cheap". Also, I hope to have the actual flow numbers on them sometime this week, and will post on here.

Anyway, did I make a mistake in my limited research before chosing to go with these heads?

Any thoughts are appreciated!
Old 11-29-2011, 08:33 AM
Turd Gen Guy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Post pics!
Old 11-29-2011, 12:40 PM
Teching In

see attachments below.... in my opinion, they look pretty dang good. Also, just got off the phone with Patriot, I hope to have my actual flow numbers in today. For reference, they had stated that they just bench tested the same set of heads for another customer and it flowed 28xcfm at .500", 294cfm at .550", and 302cfm at .600" ... pretty good if you ask me... still trying to get more details on their test setup though to confirm that it's valid data.
Attached Thumbnails Has ANYONE tried the Patriot Predator Heads??-photonew1.jpg   Has ANYONE tried the Patriot Predator Heads??-photonew2.jpg   Has ANYONE tried the Patriot Predator Heads??-photonew3.jpg   Has ANYONE tried the Patriot Predator Heads??-photonew4.jpg  
Old 11-29-2011, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AFish66
see attachments below.... in my opinion, they look pretty dang good. Also, just got off the phone with Patriot, I hope to have my actual flow numbers in today. For reference, they had stated that they just bench tested the same set of heads for another customer and it flowed 28xcfm at .500", 294cfm at .550", and 302cfm at .600" ... pretty good if you ask me... still trying to get more details on their test setup though to confirm that it's valid data.
They look pretty dang good for the price. AFR and TFS are over 2k though, with the rest of the money you can get a bolt on or a cam.

Last edited by Ronny_02_WS6; 11-29-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:10 PM
Teching In

I picked up mine on sale for just under $1400 shipped, straight through Patriot. That was the thing that attracted me the most since I had never originally budgeted a set of heads for this project.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Are they an aftermarket casting?

Hey, you know what, I commend you for trying something different. The only way to know if they will be worth a **** is to try them out, get some dyno numbers and track times, and let the rest of the LS1tech community know. You never know, these heads may be the next big thing and it will all be thanks to you for taking a chance on them.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Are they an aftermarket casting?

Hey, you know what, I commend you for trying something different. The only way to know if they will be worth a **** is to try them out, get some dyno numbers and track times, and let the rest of the LS1tech community know. You never know, these heads may be the next big thing and it will all be thanks to you for taking a chance on them.
Yep, they are a full aftermarket casting.... thanks for the positive re-inforcement! From what I can tell, they have taken over 5years to get these things released, so I would only hope that the outcome of the project is some solid performing heads, with all the kinks and such worked out. I work in the engineering world and know how long product development projects like this can take.. I just hope they weren't spending all that time trying to find a cheap *** China casting supplier! Nevertheless, the parts look pretty good.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:35 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

I have used these heads in a N/A application and they performed VERY poorly. Real heads like AFR/TFS perform on the street/track/dyno.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:39 PM
Turd Gen Guy

Id send them back and get some touched up as cast 220's!
Old 11-29-2011, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

All I will say is there is a reason most guys run TF, PRC and AFR aftermarket heads on here. That's very cheap for an aftermarket casting and I'd be careful before you put them on. Patriot wasn't even on my radar when picking out heads.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:34 PM
Captain Double Post

Op just try them out they could work well, listen there is so much BS on the internet these days, guys will tell you that they suck just because there not afr / tfs etc. Like I said try them out and get back to us on how they do.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yup, Patriot's were all the rage here 5 or 6 yrs ago, but now you couldn't give them away. Funny how some can justify spending an extra grand for heads that make 10 HP more. I guess it's OK if you can win it back racing. But most cars here are street cars, and for a street car they'll do fine...
Old 11-29-2011, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Omg! If no one on ls1tech likes them or runs them that means they suck!
Old 11-29-2011, 07:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JPH
I have used these heads in a N/A application and they performed VERY poorly. Real heads like AFR/TFS perform on the street/track/dyno.
Any more specific details behind this comment? Dyno numbers, or just feel?.. etc? Just curious to know what exactly you're basing your claim on.

Originally Posted by Cosmos
Lol, I hope there is a hint of sarcasm in that comment... but anyway, I still plan on running them to see what they do. Worse case, they suck, and I buy new ones. Gives me something to do in my free time right?
Old 11-30-2011, 10:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Cosmos
Some people are like a heard of ******* Sheep on here. People always post the same **** like, "you need to lower your car", or "get a cam from EPS". I will agree that AFR and TFS heads are proven performers, but some people are so affraid to stray way from the LS1tech sheep that it's ******* rediculous.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:10 AM
Teching In

I can somewhat agree with you Phoenix on the bandwagoning on here, but either way I appreciate all of the feedback. I plan on running the heads, mainly because I can't justify the extra $$$$ to go with the AFRs or Trick Flows right now.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by AFish66
I can somewhat agree with you Phoenix on the bandwagoning on here, but either way I appreciate all of the feedback. I plan on running the heads, mainly because I can't justify the extra $$$$ to go with the AFRs or Trick Flows right now.
Yeah, all the bandwagoning gets on my nerves at times. Not too long ago I made a thread about whether to have Alan Futral or Ed Curtis spec and grind me out a cam and some people immediately started saying to have EPS do my cam, even after I clearly said I didn't want and EPS cam.

As far as your heads, you've already bought them, so just run them and see what happens. I understand what you're saying regarding spending the extra money on the AFR or TFS heads, but if you're patient, you can find them used in the classified section all day long for $1,500.00. Plus, new, the TFS 220 heads can be bought for under $1,700.00. That's the route I'm going when I pull the trigger on some heads and cam. I've done a ton of research on the TFS 220 as cast heads and they are proven performers.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to jump off topic but I do agree that the band wagoning here is crazy. It's gets kind of ridiculous sometimes.

AFish66, those heads from Patriot I believe are the exact same heads that are going on my car. You must've called right after me cause Steven told me they were getting ready to ship them out and just got the flow numbers. I called Steven about four weeks ago when I was looking for a set of heads and he was one of the most helpful people I talked to. His heads may not be AFR or Trick Flow, but with great customer service I don't mind taking a loss in a few hp if someone has taken time to really help and make sure I get what will make me happiest with my car. That in turn makes it worth the purchase. I also think that they will be a definite bang for the buck! I'm also getting my cam reground from Bullet Cams to go with these heads and hopefully I'll get some pretty decent numbers. It's gonna be a lil while before I get my car dyno tuned but when I do I'll post up numbers and be a guinea pig too lol
Old 12-01-2011, 02:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here ya go: http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...two_three.html

It also depends on the cam that your matching with. They should perform really well for street use. Good budget heads though.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:10 AM
Turd Gen Guy

I seen a 496 rwhp ls1 car a while back in the dyno section with some "touched up" as cast 220's.. I was quoted 1900ish from a guy on here to touch them up and for the powdered valve guides.

Quick Reply: Has ANYONE tried the Patriot Predator Heads??