Found: LED (not HID) headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 05:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Exclamation Found: LED (not HID) headlights

Found a source for purchasing some of these:
http://www.dialight.com/Product/Category/477476

They are DOT/SAE FMVSS108 compliant and have a 7 year full replacement warranty, with an expected lifespan of 10 years, so keep that in mind when you see the prices. Think about how much money you would spend on headlights in 7 years if you completely replace them every year or two. Not quite so bad once you take that into account.

They offer:
90mm LED projectors high & low (separate modules, no hi/lo combined models)
4"x6" LED headlights high & low (separate modules, no hi/lo combined models)

More info:
Dialight announced the addition of the new LED Low Beam 4"x6" Headlamp to its growing line of SAE/DOT approved LED lighting products for commercial vehicles and mass transit buses. Operating at less than 14 watts, the Dialight Low Beam Headlamp uses more than 70% less energy than conventional halogen headlamps and one-third the energy of the leading LED competitor in its class. This exceptional energy efficiency helps to reduce stress on the vehicles' electrical system and potentially improve fuel economy.

Leveraging Dialight's proprietary thermal design, the Dialight Low Beam Headlamp requires no cooling fans or other moving parts to manage heat, eliminating the failure points commonly found in other LED products. The combination of exceptional energy efficiency and innovative thermal management makes the long-life Dialight LED 4"x6" Low Beam the most reliable product of its kind for this application.

Where typical conventional headlamps require replacement about once every nine months, the Dialight unit offers a life expectancy of more than 10 full years, seven of those backed by Dialight's full-replacement peace of mind warranty. This saves mass transit bus operators significant maintenance time and cost over the life of the product.

"This product is the latest edition in our family of highly efficient forward lighting that incorporates Dialight's exclusive reflector-based optics design to enhance visibility in adverse weather conditions and reduce glare for oncoming traffic," said Roy Burton, Dialight's Group Chief Executive. "Based on the data we've seen, this new 4"x6" headlamp is far superior to anything else on the market with regard to energy efficiency and maintenance savings."

Made in the USA at Dialight's Roxboro, NC facility, the new 4"x6" headlamp meets the Buy America requirements and is SAE/DOT FMVSS108 compliant. Its rugged aluminum alloy die cast housing and hard-coated polycarbonate lens make the weather-proof unit impact resistant to hold up to the wear and tear of transit use. The plug-and-play unit is a perfect match in fit and function to existing incandescent headlamps and features universal 12V and 24V dual-voltage operation.
Pricing from one of their distributors (low beam ONLY):
4x6 low beam: $285.71/ea = $571.42/pr
90mm low beam: $357.14/ea = $714.28/pr

This is where you guys as F-body owners **** your pants because you're all cheapasses. For an LED lighting option on a new car (high+low), it would be $1800+. Yes, I know you couldn't use high beams if you have a 93-97 Firebird. I already have HID projectors and probably will be sticking with HIDs for quite some time. Let me know your thoughts.

Last edited by ZexGX; 12-19-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:14 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

****, I'd buy that for my camaro.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah but how do they perform?
Old 12-19-2011, 05:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by dabest09
Yeah but how do they perform?
Key problem - I can't find any data on that. Can you guys? They are DOT/SAE FMVSS108 compliant.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I ran LED headlights on my Jeep. They sucked almost as bad as the stockers. Here's a nice writeup:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/wr...lights-911997/

That was one specific brand, at one specific time. Obviously it will be different for these. Would be curious to see Lumens output rating. Most like this I have seen are run by local SEPTA (Mass Transit) buses and their output, though not horrible, is not great. I just checked their website and pdf brochure and don't see a Lumens output rating.

They're also $278 per light: http://www.newark.com/dialight/dll43...low/dp/65T6515
Old 12-19-2011, 05:24 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by HibachiZ28
I ran LED headlights on my Jeep. They sucked almost as bad as the stockers. Here's a nice writeup:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/wr...lights-911997/

That was one specific brand, at one specific time. Obviously it will be different for these. Would be curious to see Lumens output rating. Most like this I have seen are run by local SEPTA (Mass Transit) buses and their output, though not horrible, is not great. I just checked their website and pdf brochure and don't see a Lumens output rating.
Completely different lights from a completely different company. It could be like comparing Eurolights housings to Bosch E-Code housings. I have not seen/noticed any of these in person so I cannot really speculate.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZexGX
Completely different lights from a completely different company. I have not seen/noticed any of these in person so I cannot compare.
Let me quote myself:
Originally Posted by HibachiZ28
That was one specific brand, at one specific time. Obviously it will be different for these.
The local SEPTA buses use this brand and another brand. Their output is okay, but not amazing. Definitely not worth $280/light.

The other ones I'm talking about that are on the SEPTA buses (Scroll to the bottom of the page):
http://www.jwspeaker.com/other/led-headlamps

They're even more expensive and only 850/750 lumens, which is crap.

I just called Dialight and left a message for Lumens Output rating on the 2 round and two rectangular modules.

Last edited by HibachiZ28; 12-19-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very interesting. Would love to see how these perform. Just as a comment, you cannot compare lumens directly with a halogen or HID source. Housing/fixture efficiency is typical much better since there is no internal reflecting needed to push the light out. Tough to tell how the LEDs are oriented in the housing to tell for sure.

The market will get interesting as more of these kinds of products come out. Only questions will be if the actually perform and how well they designed the thermal management properties of the housing.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why am I such a cheapass F-body owner??
Old 12-20-2011, 02:53 AM
Staging Lane

Who has to replace a headlight once every nine months? It's probably more like once every 5 years.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:08 AM

Well since my hid's are suppose to last 7-10 years and I also have a 10 year warranty on them I'm pretty sure the led's won't be cheaper.

All of the led headlights I have seen pretty much suck I doubt these are any better.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

im not cheap. Broke is more like it. Id rock those once i see results, but for the price, rather buy 30 HID kits.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6
Very interesting. Would love to see how these perform. Just as a comment, you cannot compare lumens directly with a halogen or HID source. Housing/fixture efficiency is typical much better since there is no internal reflecting needed to push the light out. Tough to tell how the LEDs are oriented in the housing to tell for sure.

The market will get interesting as more of these kinds of products come out. Only questions will be if the actually perform and how well they designed the thermal management properties of the housing.
I agree. The lumens output rating I get from manufacturers is the overall lumens output of the housing, as sold to customers. This includes any projector, or lens that adds to the output At least these ones have decent cooling fins on the back. They should receive a fair amount of airflow in a Trans Am housing as well.

The market is definitely becoming interesting! Once a nice LED housing hits our market segment, I'd be interested in purchasing. I just can't justify spending this much money on something where output is still lacking.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...put-pics-video
Old 12-20-2011, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

OEM LED headlight output is great. This includes BMW, Mercedes, Caddy and other manufacturers as well.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Nothing cheap about spending four figure priced lights unless you're on expedition adventure in the boondocks or it's a SEMA PRI showcar. Most drive their F-body on the street. Heck I'd get some sweet *** high end wheels if you're throwing away cash just for something you'll only benefit at night.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:11 PM
12 Second Club

OEM HID systems cost over $1500 (minimum) as an option when they were new, and people still paid that much money for them on their daily drivers. It was even more money on luxury cars such as Mercedes/BMW.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wish there were pics to show how they compare to other type lights or at least a pic of them installed on a vehicle.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gm02ceta
Nothing cheap about spending four figure priced lights unless you're on expedition adventure in the boondocks or it's a SEMA PRI showcar. Most drive their F-body on the street. Heck I'd get some sweet *** high end wheels if you're throwing away cash just for something you'll only benefit at night.
I'm guessing you have PnP hids in reflector housings? Have you ever driven or been in a car with oem or high quality projector hids? It's nice to actually be able to see at night. There are deer that could total your car pretty easily with the shitty sealed beams that us trans am owners get from the factory. Also a lot of us on this site DD our cars so yes they get driven a lot at night. To some, lighting is a priority.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:32 PM
12 Second Club

For the record, I already have a BLS 60mm HID low beam projector kit installed on my car. Not looking to change any time soon.

Last edited by ZexGX; 12-23-2011 at 04:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Found: LED (not HID) headlights